Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

World has gone to PC

A little about me in a story....

On 9/11 I was home in NJ. I just happen to be an officer of a vollunteer fire department at the time. When the WTC happened me and a few men grabbed our gear and went to NYC as quickly as we could and stayed there for just under a week helping our brother firefighters do what we could to help in recovery. We spent 17 hour plus days digging with our bare hands. I remember coming home from there and just breaking down crying like a little baby about what I saw to my father. You would think after loosing friends that day and what I went through I would be full of hate for the Muslim faith. Just the opposite happened to me. I found myself being kinder and trying to be more understanding of them.

A few days after 9/11 happened there was a lot of tension in the area and I would of expected that. I went to a local pub with the guys I went to NY with to have a few drinks which was probably not a good idea to help with post traumatic stress. That night I saw something that drove me nuts and into a fight at the pub. They were having a beat the Bin Laden doll fund raiser that night. IMO that was sick. They had a big doll dressed up as Bin Laden and you could beat it for a donation that would goto the red cross. It wasn't even the doll beating that got me over the top it was the fact the ass on the mic was yelling extremely racial things and it offended the hell out of me. Yelling things about the gas stations and 7 11's and the people that work there and basically inciting violence. Lets say I took the bad route and popped him in the face. I made my point and yelled now you know why they hate us.

The point I am trying to make is there is a time and place. His timing and way of doing what they were doing was wrong. He was spouting out hate. I can tell the difference. A joke is a joke and not meant to be hateful. People just need to learn to differentiate between to two.

Oh gee... I for one can see the difference of an obvious racial slur and a stupid joke.... I could punch somebody for saying a racial slur and I could laugh about the stupid joke...yes, even if involves a religion, it's still a joke....I agree with you Chris.:faint:

Oh FFS, that makes it OK? That you beat up someone who makes an obvious racial/religious slur and then that makes it OK to laugh at a stupid joke?

Real smart. Oh for sure, that's made ALL the difference in my opinion. Hey, we can all laugh at hateful jokes because we'll just punch anyone who says anything in public!

So glad the issue is all sorted.

Oh FFS, that makes it OK? That you beat up someone who makes an obvious racial/religious slur and then that makes it OK to laugh at a stupid joke?

Real smart. Oh for sure, that's made ALL the difference in my opinion. Hey, we can all laugh at hateful jokes because we'll just punch anyone who says anything in public!

So glad the issue is all sorted.

Don't be arrogant. I totally did the wrong thing when I assaulted that man. It was wrong. I agree to that. You need to get off my back. You obviously have some serious issue with me. Get over it. Stay the heck out of my threads and I will gladly stay the heck out of yours.

The point I was making is that people like you are trying to make me out like I am some bigot in which I am not.

Please clean up your own backyard down there in Australia before you complain about anyone else. Or did you forget about the mob riots on the beaches? We never had mobs of 5000 people attacking Muslims in this country.............

Don't be arrogant. I totally did the wrong thing when I assaulted that man. It was wrong. I agree to that. You need to get off my back. You obviously have some serious issue with me. Get over it. Stay the heck out of my threads and I will gladly stay the heck out of yours.

The point I was making is that people like you are trying to make me out like I am some bigot in which I am not.

Please clean up your own backyard down there in Australia before you complain about anyone else. Or did you forget about the mob riots on the beaches? We never had mobs of 5000 people attacking Muslims in this country.............

Not to worry Chris, she is not succeeding....:)

I'm not trying to make you sound like a bigot - you are making yourself sound like on. Do I have a problem with you - yes! Anyone who thinks its overly PC to avoid making insulting religious jokes in a public place is dangerous in my opinion. I dont see making that joke as ANY different to what you're describing in that pub. I have a big problem with you if you think that's OK.

Did I say there was no problem in Australia? Maroubra is exactly my point. There is enough anger, paranoia and fear over Islam today and muslims living in western countries are living difficult enough lives without posting stupid jokes implying that they're all terrorists.

I'm not trying to make you sound like a bigot - you are making yourself sound like on. Do I have a problem with you - yes! Anyone who thinks its overly PC to avoid making insulting religious jokes in a public place is dangerous in my opinion. I dont see making that joke as ANY different to what you're describing in that pub. I have a big problem with you if you think that's OK.

Did I say there was no problem in Australia? Maroubra is exactly my point. There is enough anger, paranoia and fear over Islam today and muslims living in western countries are living difficult enough lives without posting stupid jokes implying that they're all terrorists.

Laughing at a joke makes you a bigot hahahahahahaha

Every single person that has ever been to an Eddie Murphy show , Jeff Dunham, Carlos Mencia show or any comedy show is a bigot then in your opinion. You crack me up. Please get out of your imaginary utopia you live in because reality is so much nicer.

I am not the one who posted the joke. I am just the one stating that people need to laugh at life sometimes. I recommend you unwind a bit and do it. Its ok to do once in awhile. Your anger is pointed in the wrong direction. I suggest you just move on.

Done.

I'm off. Lets leave it on this note. You think I'm an uptight bitch who cant laugh at anything. I think youre a bigot with an IQ of 2.

What I do agree with - you didnt post the joke. What upsets me - you're the one defending it and insisting its funny.

Eddie Murphy is a filthy pig. I cant bear him. He's not funny. Dont know who the others are.

We're probably both wrong about each other. We disagree. So lets leave it.

Done.

I'm off. Lets leave it on this note. You think I'm an uptight bitch who cant laugh at anything. I think youre a bigot with an IQ of 2.

What I do agree with - you didnt post the joke. What upsets me - you're the one defending it and insisting its funny.

Eddie Murphy is a filthy pig. I cant bear him. He's not funny. Dont know who the others are.

Cheers! Something we can agree on !

Done.

Jachut, Chris wasn't "defending" the joke, he was simply expressing that it WAS a joke and that he thought it was funny, which is actually different from "defending" the joke ....

Also, in case you didn't notice, he wasn't the only one expressing the same point of view, there were others.... including me....

Also, millions of americans LOVE Eddie Murphy!!!!!!!!!!! me included!!!!!!!!! and everything he says I take it as a JOKE! and I think he is darn hilarious! granted that I'm not saying that Chris likes him or not, I don't know that, I'm only speaking for myself....

If I'd go by what you said about the way you feel about Eddie Murphy, I guess youmay then think that millions of americans are filthy pigs because they are all laughing at his jokes.....:)

If I'd go by what you said about the way you feel about Eddie Murphy, I guess youmay then think that millions of americans are filthy pigs because they are all laughing at his jokes.....:)

That's not fair.

Sorry Wassa, you know I like you much! but in my opinion it is fair....ponder.gif

That's the way I processed her comment in my mind.... I'm not saying that I'm 100% right... but that's the way it came across for me...just my opinion...

Why don't you find it fair? maybe if I hear the reason behind it can process it differently...

You know, I can see Jachut's point here. A large portion of society apparently thinks that comments that can be very racial, stereotyping, and bigoted seem to be acceptable when they're preceeded by "wow, you gotta hear this joke" or "this is sooo funny, listen," yet those are usually the same comments that warrant, at the very least, a raised eyebrow or a cold silence (or even assault) by many people when they are dropped into regular conversation.

You know, I can see Jachut's point here. A large portion of society apparently thinks that comments that can be very racial, stereotyping, and bigoted seem to be acceptable when they're preceeded by "wow, you gotta hear this joke" or "this is sooo funny, listen," yet those are usually the same comments that warrant, at the very least, a raised eyebrow or a cold silence (or even assault) by many people when they are dropped into regular conversation.

Well, but that is exactly the difference I see... when a racial comment is made in a regular/serious conversation, it was obvoiusly meant to be serious, if said as a joke, it doesn't have to meaningful, but just for the purpose of laughing at ourselves... and I say ourselves only because I laugh at Christian jokes, hispanic jokes... if they are funny I laugh and don't take seriously, but I guess depends how people take jokes, if someone cannot think of something said and meant as a joke as not serious or meaningful , then that person may be offended, if you can process it as JUST a joke, then you can just laugh, I laugh at my own faults many times, it's part of my healing from the very serious hardships that I have to endure sometimes... it helps me....:omg:

Well, but that is exactly the difference I see... when a racial comment is made in a regular/serious conversation, it was obvoiusly meant to be serious, if said as a joke, it doesn't have to meaningful, but just for the purpose of laughing at ourselves... and I say ourselves only because I laugh at Christian jokes, hispanic jokes... if they are funny I laugh and don't take seriously, but I guess depends how people take jokes, if someone cannot think of something said and meant as a joke as not serious or meaningful , then that person may be offended, if you can process it as JUST a joke, then you can just laugh, I laugh at my own faults many times, it's part of my healing from the very serious hardships that I have to endure sometimes... it helps me....:omg:
Again, I think a lot of it depends on who the audience is, who the person telling the joke is, and how they've timed it. The joke in question was originally suspicious to me because of the fact that the person telling it had just been involved in the thread about Iraq, and he knew that there was at least one Muslim on the board that took her faith very seriously at the time he posted it. There's a time and a place for everything, I think, and that wasn't it.

Derick chose to tell the joke here, not on the John Birch Society Website. I believe that he was operating on the assumption that the Rant & Ravists would be comfortable enough to accept this joke and to be able to see that though it was goofing on stereotypes - indeed the humour of this joke lies in that it takes these stereotypes to an absurd extreme. The joke itself funny because it dealt the notion of an Islamic vehicle which was laden with an array of over the top western stereotypes of Islam.

This was a joke which was also designed to poke fun at us and at our ignornance of Islam along with making a joke or a comment, a fairly gentle one, about Islamic beliefs and behaviour as these are viewed through our western eyes.

Perhaps it would be interesting to hear some Islamic jokes about Xtians and of the Westerners. We might learn a great deal, eh.