Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

We're all getting fatter..wait what?

So I'm a bit down because I'm in a stall and I came across this article that made me feel a little better so I just wanted to share:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/laurenstrapagiel/average-person-obese-bmi

Everyone, be kind to yourselves this holiday season.

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Average male 5'7"! They sure don't live around me. Texas must grow 'em big!

11 minutes ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

Average male 5'7"! They sure don't live around me. Texas must grow 'em big!

Are y'all willing to export 'em too?

😂😎😂😎😂😎😂😎😂😎😂😎

7 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Are y'all willing to export 'em too?

😂😎😂😎😂😎😂😎😂😎😂😎

It's gonna be hard to find one that likes New York winter weather!

Edited by Orchids&Dragons

3 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,

Promise them NY pizza lol

That might work!

How could we not be getting fatter? I have been so conscious about food since having the surgery and it is just EVERYWHERE. I stopped in a pharmacy the other day and was overwhelmed. At least 1/3 of the store was candy and other crap food. Food advertising is constant and in your face. People are always bringing junk food into work, and every minor celebration involves food. It's so frustrating. I am a teacher and yesterday kids kept bringing me Cookies, brownies, candy for the holidays and the sight and smells were killing me.

How could we not be getting fatter? I have been so conscious about food since having the surgery and it is just EVERYWHERE. I stopped in a pharmacy the other day and was overwhelmed. At least 1/3 of the store was candy and other crap food. Food advertising is constant and in your face. People are always bringing junk food into work, and every minor celebration involves food. It's so frustrating. I am a teacher and yesterday kids kept bringing me Cookies, brownies, candy for the holidays and the sight and smells were killing me.
I know what u mean. Ever since I had my surgery, I realize how much I used to eat for NO REASON AT ALL! And I feel like the only place I ever met up with friends was at a restaurant. I'm still trying to reprogram my brain

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Just within a few hours of today alone (family came over for my birthday/early Christmas), I have been reflecting on the idea of food being subjected into holiday traditions. I did not have a birthday cake but I could not help but feel a longing in my chest for a tradition that I've upheld for the length of my life (and I don't even really like cake.) Then not being able to participate in a run to Krispy Kreme (my MIL is from a bit further south than my husband and I - they don't have one) has left me feeling a little alienated and alone at home.

I usually go out to a nice restaurant for my birthday. . . not going to do that either. I am trying to make these holidays about the people I spend time with (my family and friends) but . . . and maybe I'm going out on a tangent here, I've started to realize that the majority of company I keep pretty f**king sucks. Food seemed to be a filler in the gaps where the relationships failed (especially in a Holiday setting.) This doesn't count for EVERYONE, but it has been something on my mind (especially the first two weeks where I'm on just liquids.)

Sorry for my ramble, it's been kind of a cruddy birthday and I want to cry about it. LOL

A lot of us were raised to believe
All food equates Love. If you fail to feed me, it means you don't Really Love Me! Now Bariatrics and Weight Loss Surgery shook things to their very core. We live in a Brave New World where the rules have changed and it is difficult to come to terms with THAT.

Someone’s math is bad. It has the average man as 175.3 cm or 69” which is 5’9” not 5’7”

The original study she quotes in the Buzzfeed article that is. So the Buzzfeed author quoted the study incorrectly

I also think we in the post WLS are more aware of the food and our surroundings. I for one.. can smell something now over 10 ft away and it drives me bananas. People in today's world look at food as a second nature must do.. Forget restaurants and serving sizes.. we in America do not even think about the amount of food that we are served, just that we have to clean our plates. If America keeps up this trend, this article is correct.. it is only going to get worse.

On 12/22/2018 at 4:30 PM, batty_vsg said:

I usually go out to a nice restaurant for my birthday. . . not going to do that either.

This won't be forever. I had surgery at the end of October. On Friday, I went to a nice restaurant with a friend before a play. It was small plates, we shared some really, really good garlic shrimp and I had a couple spears of asparagus. She got one other plate just for herself. It was delicious and just enough. And I got to go out and enjoy myself with my friend. Pre-surgery, i could likely have easily eaten 2-3 tapas by myself. So, while eating out is not a thing you can do now, it will be a thing you enjoy again.