Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Head hunger is KILLING me this weekend

I am absolutely torturing myself this weekend. I'm 7.5 weeks out and all I can think about is food since Friday. I keep thinking I'm genuinely hungry because I swear I can feel it in my stomach, but when I eat my stomach lets me know that I am done... but I can't. stop. thinking. about food. The worst part is that I'm trying to write a big paper for my grad class that's due soon so I'm basically just alone with my thoughts and not able to keep myself busy otherwise. I'm drinking extra Water and trying to ignore my thoughts but it isn't helping.

I really just needed to b*tch and moan a bit. Hopefully someone out there can understand/commiserate.

1 hour ago, KT1981 said:

I am absolutely torturing myself this weekend. I'm 7.5 weeks out and all I can think about is food since Friday. I keep thinking I'm genuinely hungry because I swear I can feel it in my stomach, but when I eat my stomach lets me know that I am done... but I can't. stop. thinking. about food. The worst part is that I'm trying to write a big paper for my grad class that's due soon so I'm basically just alone with my thoughts and not able to keep myself busy otherwise. I'm drinking extra Water and trying to ignore my thoughts but it isn't helping.

I really just needed to b*tch and moan a bit. Hopefully someone out there can understand/commiserate.

I’m with you KT! This weekend we celebrated Chanukah and my nephews birthday. I really really wanted to dig into the cake I made him and eat anything fried, but I didn’t! You can do this! Maybe it’s the stress of writing your paper that’s making you want to eat? Do you have sugar free popsicles? I love those and they usually help with cravings. Good luck!

I'm with you this week, too. Craving anything and everything. Hot herbal teas help me somewhat, at least while I'm drinking them. Current fave is Peppermint Bark by Bigelow teas with a little stevia and milk.

I do think your brain would just rather eat than do that darn paper. I get that way at work when I'm doing quarterly reports or other fun stuff. Get all sorts of visions of sugarplums dancing in my head. Enough to make you want to scream! Good luck!

I have been dealing with my cravings since I got passed my 4th week. Most of it is my memory reminding me how good pan pizza is, or warm french bread with butter....and how I miss my icy coke. I am trying to realize that this is my head memory and will go away at some point. I did order (for the first time in my life) a thin crust pizza with spinach, garlic, and onions. It was surprisingly good and I still couldn't eat very much.

I've been on a stuck scale thing for five days, but, that is how my body catches up.

Anyway, I am having a really hard time with cravings and thought the Grehlin was supposed to be taken away with sleeve surgery. Mine certainly wasn't.

We just have to remember there are so many of us dealing with the same issues.

So what's the game plan y'all?

I'm curious how everyone is dealing with it in the end...

Edited by GreenTealael

19 hours ago, KT1981 said:

I can completely relate to this!

Unfortunately I've given into my hunger and I feel like ...a...piece...of.....poop. :blush: I ate chips (not a lot but I ate em) and I ate this toaster thingy (full of carbs and sugar) and then this morning my sister comes to me w/ a lemon filled donut which is my absolute favorite.!!! And guess what? Yea. I ate it. Now Idk about anyone else but I struggle to get Protein down but the bad stuff. Carbs? candy? DONUTS!!!!???? Yea. For some reason I can eat them and I don't get that stuck in my throat feeling as I do when I eat healthy. Which I find....rude LOL. Why ???? lol. Anywho. Back to you... :) Yes! I can understand. And It is a struggle bus over here as well!!!!! But. Its a new day. And I know I can do it. You can too B)

On 12/9/2018 at 2:42 PM, Orchids&Dragons said:

I do think your brain would just rather eat than do that darn paper. I get that way at work when I'm doing quarterly reports or other fun stuff. Get all sorts of visions of sugarplums dancing in my head. Enough to make you want to scream! Good luck!

I get the same way when I'm doing tedious work.

On 12/9/2018 at 5:46 PM, GreenTealael said:

So what's the game plan y'all?

I'm curious how everyone is dealing with it in the end...

When I was in my hyper focused losing phase, I let myself eat, if head hunger was out of control. BUT I made sure it was all lean and low cal. Grilled meats, Jerky, Protein chips, cucumbers and carrots with low cal dressing, Laughing Cow cheese, SF Jello. So my head was happy I was eating, but I wasn't blowing it calorie wise.

I read somewhere that when you are fighting these cravings, every time you don't give in you strengthen your will, like putting a quarter in a piggy bank. Each time makes you stronger. When you give in, you feel guilt and then usually go really crazy cuz why not at this point? At some point, those cravings will fade because you will be so strong and your memory of them fades.

Remember why we did this. Just because you slipped one day, the sooner you get back to your plan, the easier it is to move on from there and that slip was two days ago and now you are rolling along again. Hope that made sense.

20 hours ago, AndreaK. said:

I can completely relate to this!

Unfortunately I've given into my hunger and I feel like ...a...piece...of.....poop. :blush: I ate chips (not a lot but I ate em) and I ate this toaster thingy (full of carbs and sugar) and then this morning my sister comes to me w/ a lemon filled donut which is my absolute favorite.!!! And guess what? Yea. I ate it. Now Idk about anyone else but I struggle to get Protein down but the bad stuff. Carbs? candy? DONUTS!!!!???? Yea. For some reason I can eat them and I don't get that stuck in my throat feeling as I do when I eat healthy. Which I find....rude LOL. Why ???? lol. Anywho. Back to you... :) Yes! I can understand. And It is a struggle bus over here as well!!!!! But. Its a new day. And I know I can do it. You can too B)

The carb-heavy sweets are all sliders so, by definition, they go down easy, especially if you have anything to drink with them.

Maybe it's the time of year? We associate this time of year with giving in to treats. Right?

But saying that, I'm with @sillykitty--anything tedious. Crap!!!

I combat it by:

1. Staying beyond hydrated with Water. Keeps me oddly full for hours.

2. Dropping carbs back and cutting out crappy, or sweet nonsense.

3. Eating protein--making sure I'm on the high side of my target rather than the low side.

4. Having plenty of hot non-calorie, NON-SWEET liquids such as black decaff coffee, black decaff green tea.

5. Walking/running.

So it's been better as the week goes on and I'm busy at work. I suspect a lot of it is simply associating being home with binge eating, because that's what I did. If it sounded good, I stuffed it down my gullet.

When it got really bad and I gave in and ate 3 broken pieces of tortilla chips, I tattled on myself to my husband who put me on timeout upstairs, away from the food. That was actually kinda helpful.