Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't had surgery yet, however, I have chronic indigestion/heartburn. This scares me after reading so many people experience ulcers after surgery. I'm almost worried I might already have one. So far, all I take are Zantac 150 or Tagamet, which as of recently has become almost a daily necessity. I know I should consult my doctor (which will be happening on 12/03), but what are ya'lls personal experiences with either Nexium or Prilosec as far as efficacy?

Edited by Kimmie K

3 hours ago, Kimmie K said:

I haven't had surgery yet, however, I have chronic indigestion/heartburn. This scares me after reading so many people experience ulcers after surgery. I'm almost worried I might already have one. So far, all I take are Zantac 150 or Tagamet, which as of recently has become almost a daily necessity. I know I should consult my doctor (which will be happening on 12/03), but what are ya'lls personal experiences with either Nexium or Prilosec as far as efficacy?

I was pulled off my Prilosec before surgery because all Prilosec is delayed release and you can no longer have delayed release pills post-op. I have an ulcer now (as you may have read), and they treat it with Pepcid and Carafate. You can't take antacids (like Tums) with Carafate. I didn't have an ulcer before surgery - it just happened. Nothing anyone can do about it. I took Pepcid the night before surgery, as well.

But for what it's worth, I liked Nexium better than Prilosec, but my insurance stopped covering Nexium for whatever stupid reason. But, like I said, I didn't have an ulcer beforehand and it still happened. I don't think taking anything pre-op will stop it from happening if you're going to end up getting one. It's not that common, though. Like up to 16% of patients get one. If you think you already have one, they will probably do an endoscopy beforehand to check and wait until it is healed to do the surgery; I don't know. I feel like you would KNOW if you had one, though. Mine is VERY VERY obviously there.

19 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

But for what it's worth, I liked Nexium better than Prilosec, but my insurance stopped covering Nexium for whatever stupid reason. But, like I said, I didn't have an ulcer beforehand and it still happened. I don't think taking anything pre-op will stop it from happening if you're going to end up getting one. It's not that common, though. Like up to 16% of patients get one. If you think you already have one, they will probably do an endoscopy beforehand to check and wait until it is healed to do the surgery; I don't know. I feel like you would KNOW if you had one, though. Mine is VERY VERY obviously there.

Thanks so much for that info! Yeah I'm not sure why I always have heartburn. It doesn't seem to be triggered by any specific food, it's just always there, usually in the morning. There's no pain, just a constant uncomfortable burning sensation that's remedied within a few minutes of taking Zantac or Tagamet. For many many years I took Adderall for ADHD and stopped it back in January of this year. It made the heartburn worse. I also take Advil liqui-gels almost every day because I wake up with headaches...surely that doesn't help, but I have to take something.

I feel for you guys though. The first time I read of those marginal ulcers, amongst others, it started worrying me. As often as I read about it in here, it seems way more common that 16%, but that could just be my narrow perspective. I was just hoping I could stave off ulcers by starting a PPI since it seems like I do have some sort of excessive stomach acid issue. Just need my doctor's appointment to hurry up and get here. I have so many stinkin' questions for him.

I did read somewhere else on here that some people do take broken open Prilosec caps or compounded Prilosec post-op. Maybe that could also be an option? I just know the caps themselves are delayed release and useless. I actually just sent my surgeon a message seeing if adding broken open Prilosec caps will help heal the ulcer faster.

I totally get you on the heartburn. Was never an issue until about a year or two ago. And it was basically every day and not related to ANY food at all. It sucked. I used to take Adderall (and then Vyvanse), too... so maybe it's somehow related??? On the brightside, after surgery, you shouldn't have acid refluc or heartburn any more. I don't have any at all! Once the ulcer heals up, it'll be awesome.

My facility tells you to open Prilosec(omeprazole) pour them on your foods, especially applesauce, hate that. Its like swallowing finely ground kitty litter! Used to like applesauce until this messing around Too, Thanks Folks!

2 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

I did read somewhere else on here that some people do take broken open Prilosec caps or compounded Prilosec post-op. Maybe that could also be an option? I just know the caps themselves are delayed release and useless. I actually just sent my surgeon a message seeing if adding broken open Prilosec caps will help heal the ulcer faster.

I totally get you on the heartburn. Was never an issue until about a year or two ago. And it was basically every day and not related to ANY food at all. It sucked. I used to take Adderall (and then Vyvanse), too... so maybe it's somehow related??? On the brightside, after surgery, you shouldn't have acid refluc or heartburn any more. I don't have any at all! Once the ulcer heals up, it'll be awesome.

Wowwww, weird coincidence! My daughter takes Vyvanse. Ya know, I bet there is something to that. I took the immediate release Adderall tablets. It was like a firey pit of hell in my guts about 30min after taking it so I'd usually take a Zantac along with it to avoid the burn. I long for a day without this BS. Sure hope you get rid of that ulcer! Thanks for being so sweet :)

1 hour ago, Frustr8 said:

My facility tells you to open Prilosec(omeprazole) pour them on your foods, especially applesauce, hate that. Its like swallowing finely ground kitty litter! Used to like applesauce until this messing around Too, Thanks Folks!

Well that sounds pretty awful! What a way to ruin a perfectly tasty snack LOL

Haha I am currently having to crush giant Potassium pills twice a day and mix it with applesauce. Fortunately the pills weirdly have NO flavor. It's just a bit grainy.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have to soften my Carafate white Horsepills in boiling Water, well even warm water will work. And the resulting slurry tastes like white flour in water. Guess they work but a funny way to do things!💊

15 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

I have to soften my Carafate white Horsepills in boiling Water, well even warm Water will work. And the resulting slurry tastes like white flour in water. Guess they work but a funny way to do things!💊

Ohhh I got the liquid Carafate. Normally it's like 500$!!! But I hit my out of pocket max for the year so it's free. Yay!

Just got a message back from my surgeon and they ARE going to add back Prilosec - don't have to open the caps though "yet". Whatever that means...

Means you dodged that "bullet" , lucky 🐭🐱YOU! Although Prilosec is E.Release, it's just the nature of the beast, your doctor feels the benefit outweighed the detriment. Envy you the liquid Carafate, I'm a Medicare/Medicaid, yeah no out of pocket max, I do have copays or items Silver Scripts refuses to cover. Just surprised they are covering as many over $300 retail drugs as they are. PCP wanted me on a drug a while back with no Generic, what an uphill battle that was! Had to prove a cheaper and similar would not do me better. Every time I get peeved I think back 40 years. Conneticut General Insurance sent Late Lamented and I a letter on their corporate letterhead. " We believe pregnancy to be an avoidable disease, we feel it would not be in our best interest to honor Maternity Coverage on your policy." Disease,Ha Ha, that health condition grew up to become my beloved Tomkitten, one of the most beautiful facets of my existance. I loved him then, I love him still, maybe not perfect but CLOSE ENOUGH for ME! 😝&👨

I never had acid reflux until I had a gastric sleeve. But I take 1 prilosec and 2 zantac a day.