Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you choose a goal weight?

That's fascinating, and not weird at all. At least as far as my hip replacement, no doctors would even talk to me if my BMI was over 40. I look forward to going into a doctor's office for a cold and not getting lectured about my weight.
45009519_10155952019301938_4760911410131632128_n.thumb.jpg.4e3f61618176082bbefea893224d2678.jpg
I went to the ER a couple of months ago about a headache and she looked at my chart and asked me if I'd considered weight loss surgery. Not even "losing weight would help", just straight to surgery lol. But to be fair, I have diabetes and sleep apnea and she was checking my chart to make sure they weren't contributing. And it's nice to know she reviewed my history for relevant data.

But I agree, it will be nice to *not* have the weight talk at the doctor's office any more.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Just now, Syrina said:

I went to the ER a couple of months ago about a Headache and she looked at my chart and asked me if I'd considered weight loss surgery. Not even "losing weight would help", just straight to surgery lol. But to be fair, I have diabetes and sleep apnea and she was checking my chart to make sure they weren't contributing. And it's nice to know she reviewed my history for relevant data.

But I agree, it will be nice to *not* have the weight talk at the doctor's office any more.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

OMG! Yes!!!! Now when I go for my check-ups, not a single doc comments to me about, "You know, this would get xyz better if you'd only lose weight and get to normal weight!"

Next week is one of my 6month check-ups with my oncologist and I am 12lbs below his goal for me and still going down (if I have my way). It's the first time I look forward to seeing him in 7 1/2 years!

On 10/18/2018 at 11:28 PM, GreenTealael said:

I played spin the bottle with a BMI chart, then 7 minutes in heaven with a pair of calipers.

😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

In the end... It will choose me.

I seriously :780_sparkling_heart: you. Just when I "think" to know what to expect you pop up on a thread and crack me the heck up!!!

Jazz Hands!

JazzHands.JPG.e6d5e46d45e05e8206bb5276469348ce.JPG

On 10/18/2018 at 8:55 PM, PopsFury said:

I see a lot of you talk about your goal weight. Sure, I put one in here, but it isn't anything I really thought about. I'm curious, how did you choose your goal weight?

• Was it a weight from a point in time of your life?
  • Did your doctor help you choose?
  • Did you reference height/weight charts?
  • Something else?

I've shied away from thinking about an ultimate goal, but have set some smaller, more quickly achievable goals. I like things I can reach within a month or two vs. focusing a year away. Still, I'm starting to think it might be fun to have an end goal, and perhaps a stretch goal as well.

How did you think about it?

Unfortunately, I have also been morbidly obese - since 5 years old, so I had no reference. My doctors wanted me to be between 117-130lbs for my height, but tbh that's way too small for me. I do not want to be thin - I like being curvy, however, I have chosen 170lbs simply because that's the highest weight I can be to qualify for liposuction and a breast augmentation.

I remembered how good I looked at 140 pounds, which is toward the top of my weight range on the charts, but it sounded reasonable to me. A lot more attainable than 120 pounds and I'd probably think I'd look too thin at 120 because I've never been that weight.

46 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

I remembered how good I looked at 140 pounds, which is toward the top of my weight range on the charts, but it sounded reasonable to me. A lot more attainable than 120 pounds and I'd probably think I'd look too thin at 120 because I've never been that weight.

I'm your height and at 140 you can see some major collar bone action.

Starting out I wanted to at least be the avg loss which put me in the 220s. Anything beyond that was way to hard for my brain to wrap around. Once there then it was can I get into straight sizes and under 200. I’m now in theory 20 lbs to the not overweight per BMI chart. At 185 my team and I are so happy that our goal has changed from a pure weight number to a fat to muscle percentage that will likely put me over a bit in the 170s... I’m consistently in 12/10s and mediums. At this point it’s going to be where can I land that is where I look/ feel healthy and maintain it.