Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbs are important for good health and avoiding early death

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/902112

MUNICH — In an observational study that used a one-time snapshot of carbohydrate intake, middle-aged Americans who consumed the least amount of carbohydrates were more likely to die from any cause, heart disease, or cancer during the subsequent decade than their peers who had the highest carbohydrate intake.

In a second part of the study, these findings were replicated in a meta-analysis of seven studies with cohorts from Greece, Japan, Sweden, and the United States that included people followed for almost 2 decades.

"Given the fact that low-carbohydrate diets may be unsafe, it would be preferable not to currently recommend these diets," senior study author Maciej Banach, MD, PhD, Medical University of Lodz, Poland, said during a press conference here at the European Society of Cardiology Congress 2018.

But, he conceded, "probably for a short time" — 6 or 12 months — low-carb diets might be useful for weight loss and good for parameters such as glucose and lipids.

There's a lot of science behind it.

High Protein diets are an early death sentence long term. High protein intake activates growth hormone receptors...which increase concentrations of growth factors...whose increased concentrations are associated with aging, diabetes and cancer.

Essentially...the more you simulate those growth hormone receptors (which you do when you eat lots of protein)...the more your cells will turn over. The more your cells turn over...the faster you age and develop age-related illness.

The contradiction to this....is older people. If you're 65+, your body is dealing with muscle wasting and greater threat from cancer. In this case...you need more cell turn over to hopefully catch wonky cells before they turn into cancer...so a little more protein is ok for older folks.

If you want to read more about this, check out The Longevity Diet by Valter Longo, PhD.

If you think this is crazy talk...and that all Proteins are your friends and that carbs are the devil...that's up to you.

Not intending to freak anyone out or push an agenda....just hoping to inspire folks to do a little research when considering their long-term diet plans.

Obviously, paying attention to your program's requirements and working with your dietitian in the loss stage is important!

This is more stuff to consider long term.

For all you intermittent fasters....Dr. Longo has created a diet that mimics fasting. Some interesting food for thought.

https://ngp.usc.edu/usc-scientist-valter-longo-talks-about-how-to-live-a-longer-and-healthier-life/

As always....take what you like, leave the rest.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/902112

MUNICH — In an observational study that used a one-time snapshot of carbohydrate intake, middle-aged Americans who consumed the least amount of carbohydrates were more likely to die from any cause, heart disease, or cancer during the subsequent decade than their peers who had the highest carbohydrate intake.

In a second part of the study, these findings were replicated in a meta-analysis of seven studies with cohorts from Greece, Japan, Sweden, and the United States that included people followed for almost 2 decades.

"Given the fact that low-carbohydrate diets may be unsafe, it would be preferable not to currently recommend these diets," senior study author Maciej Banach, MD, PhD, Medical University of Lodz, Poland, said during a press conference here at the European Society of Cardiology Congress 2018.

But, he conceded, "probably for a short time" — 6 or 12 months — low-carb diets might be useful for weight loss and good for parameters such as glucose and lipids.

Every vegetable is a carb.

There is a lot of studies that come to a variety of conclusions. I do want this one to be true though, because I find low carb unsustainable.

I'm 4 and a half months out and I'm feeling the lack of carbs...OMG - the piles!! 😲

Vegetables and complex carbs are an important part of a healthy diet. It’s the overprocessed , far removed from their original form carbs that are the problem.

10 hours ago, elcee said:

It’s the overprocessed , far removed from their original form carbs that are the problem.

Not only when it comes to carbohydrates. Think about the highly processed other products people seem to consume without even thinking about it. As long as these foods don't contain carbohydrates but Protein everything seems to be fine.

I don't know too many highly processed Protein foods, most of the rubbish seems to be full of carbs.

I hadn’t really thought about those but it’s the fillers they add, which are often carbs, that make them bad for you

Most of the carbs I eat all come from natural sources; vegetables. I rarely eat potatoes or rice (maybe twice a year before WLS and I had some on vacation last week and that was the first in months). I've lived a low carb lifestyle for years and I do not miss it. If I want Pasta, I will make it fresh and have 1 serving and the same goes for bread. I personally just don't want over processed garbage in my system, I now know how my body reacts to it and I don't want to go back to that place.

9 hours ago, elcee said:

I hadn’t really thought about those but it’s the fillers they add, which are often carbs, that make them bad for you

It's more the nitrates and antibiotics and whatever else there might be in some questionable processed meat or dairy products I worry about.