Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone I’m about 7 weeks out down 31 lbs since about 2 weeks ago. Don’t really weight myself outside of the doctors. Anyways. How many people eat whatever they want and still lost all their weight. My doctors has me on no restrictions as far as my diet. My NUT said it’s about Portion Control and not really the foods you eat. I’m still trying to get my liquids down, my Protein needs to be better but the shakes make me vomit and sugar alcohols give me the runs. Been on real food for about 2 weeks with no problems but I don’t want to mess myself up. They told me stay off this site because listening to others will ruin me but to just listen my body. It knows what it an handle. Still like input however. Do you diet or no ???

Um, not me. About 90% MAYYYYYYBE 95% of the time, I'm on a pretty strict plan for success both with diet and exercise. It's working for me.

2 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Um, not me. About 90% MAYYYYYYBE 95% of the time, I'm on a pretty strict plan for success both with diet and exercise. It's working for me.

Can I ask what you eat in a day. I’m still struggling getting all my calories and I don’t want to plateau

So first off, if it were me (from my RD), drop the notion of "hitting all your calories." Instead focus on hitting your fluid goals, Protein goals, vitamin/mineral goals (all of these are MANDATORY at your juncture). All liquids (in addition protein drinks) add up and are combined to help you meet your Fluid goal. And the Protein Drinks also help you hit your protein goal too. My RD said she still has patients 1-2 years out drinking a shake per day.

Well, I can tell you what I ate around your time so it's a little more of apples and apples. Hang on lemme go get that information.

So I just averaged my 6-8 week numbers. At I think it was about 5-6 weeks I have no restrictions whatsoever from a diet standpoint. If I wanted raw veg and fruit I could try them. My RDs goals for me were 64+oz liquid with about 36oz coming from Water. She wanted me hitting 60-80g Protein daily (ideally around 74g). And she had no other goals for me.

I could eat so easily and drink so easily. My pouch is called Iron Will. To this day I fear that I can eat too much. So we really might not be apples to apples if you have a lot of restriction. I rely heavily on healthy, nutrient dense, but not not calorically dense foods for about 95-98% of my foods.

At this time, I could easily eat:

2oz protein (by weight) = about 1/3-1/2 cup by volume depending on how much you cram it down into the measuring cup.

1oz veggies cooked (by weight) = about 1/8-1/4cup by volume depending how you pack it and how well cooked they are.

1oz of combined grape tomatoes and avocado (by weight) = about 1/8 cup by volume (these are just sliders to me).

I was also still drinking 6oz of Protein Shake in my morning decaff cuz I loved it, but also cuz it helped me know I didn't have to do protein only meals in order to meet my protein targets for the day.

Here are some menus: I get up around 5am fyi.

B1 - Protein decaff coffee (6oz Premier Protein across 3 cups of decaf)

B2 - egg white puff with mushrooms, baby spinach, turkey sausage crumbles, lite cheese wedge, egg whites

L - leftovers from dinner or turkey roll-up with cheese or a salad

D - protein, veg, avo + tomatoes

Here are some screen shots (click to enlarge). The whole day doesn't fit on one shot. The first Breakfast is the protein coffee and I list all my Vitamins in my bedtime "snack" to track them too.

April 3-yummy day love salad

040318_7weeks.thumb.JPG.e9804dd79e4c32a3e16d3505fc6050c8.JPG

April 10-love salmon veg and shrimpies!!

041018_8weeks.thumb.JPG.bca08abd8c3052c887b87b7d135c3d7a.JPG

6 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Here are some menus: I get up around 5am fyi.

B1 - Protein decaff coffee (6oz Premier Protein across 3 cups of decaf)

B2 - egg white puff with mushrooms, baby spinach, turkey sausage crumbles, lite cheese wedge, egg whites

L - leftovers from dinner or turkey roll-up with cheese or a salad

D - Protein, veg, avo + tomatoes

Here are some screen shots (click to enlarge). The whole day doesn't fit on one shot. The first Breakfast is the protein coffee and I list all my Vitamins in my bedtime "snack" to track them too.

April 3-yummy day love salad

040318_7weeks.thumb.JPG.e9804dd79e4c32a3e16d3505fc6050c8.JPG

April 10-love salmon veg and shrimpies!!

041018_8weeks.thumb.JPG.bca08abd8c3052c887b87b7d135c3d7a.JPG

This seems like so much food even though I’m sure it isn’t but I just can’t seem to eat enough to cover my protein, I’ve tried health wise non creamy protein juices and those are pretty good. Hopefully in time I can eat more to hit my levels, I wish they made protein chewbles or something easier to get the proper intake.

Protein Chewbies, the thought is an interesting concept, here in America I am sure if there is a need, someone will invent one. Wonder what flavor it will be? Please, tell it won't be Liver Snaps, I had a dog who left them half-eaten all over the place! 🐶🍬🍖

12 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

Protein Chewbies, the thought is an interesting concept, here in America I am sure if there is a need, someone will invent one. Wonder what flavor it will be? Please, tell it won't be Liver Snaps, I had a dog who left them half-eaten all over the place! 🐶🍬🍖

They have them here at Bariatric Pal, Protein Gummies. They are just relatively high cal vs. Protein content

I'm with @FluffyChix ... At 7.5 months out, I definitely cannot just eat whatever I want and still lose. I need to be conscience of what I eat and make good choices.

22 hours ago, Khloe617 said:

Hey everyone I’m about 7 weeks out down 31 lbs since about 2 weeks ago. Don’t really weight myself outside of the doctors. Anyways. How many people eat whatever they want and still lost all their weight. My doctors has me on no restrictions as far as my diet. My NUT said it’s about Portion Control and not really the foods you eat. I’m still trying to get my liquids down, my Protein needs to be better but the shakes make me vomit and sugar alcohols give me the runs. Been on real food for about 2 weeks with no problems but I don’t want to mess myself up. They told me stay off this site because listening to others will ruin me but to just listen my body. It knows what it an handle. Still like input however. Do you diet or no ???

Diet or no diet. Interesting question.

If you rely on surgery food restriction for weight loss you will be disappointed in your results. Eating whatever you want in Portion Control will not make your weightloss successful long term.

First stages focus on hitting your Protein goals not calories because your food intake is low

The first months of sleeve surgery is your best stomach restriction. Understand This will change as you progress out from surgery. In the months and years ahead sleevers can eat more food and tolerate most foods. This is why it's important to change behaviors and eat on your dieticians plan.

4 hours ago, skinnylife said:

Diet or no diet. Interesting question.

If you rely on surgery food restriction for weight loss you will be disappointed in your results. Eating whatever you want in Portion Control will not make your weightloss successful long term.

First stages focus on hitting your Protein goals not calories because your food intake is low

The first months of sleeve surgery is your best stomach restriction. Understand This will change as you progress out from surgery. In the months and years ahead sleevers can eat more food and tolerate most foods. This is why it's important to change behaviors and eat on your dieticians plan.

I eat like cream of wheat, oatmeal, eggs, fruit, whatever on the list, bite of the meat i could for dinner, but I’m on real food and still seem to eat the same foods out of fear of not knowing really what I can or can not eat but I know I can’t eat like this forever. Plus it’s boring. I’m enjoying salads soooo much 😫 I really just need to figure other ways to get Protein

1 hour ago, Khloe617 said:

I eat like cream of wheat, oatmeal, eggs, fruit, whatever on the list, bite of the meat i could for dinner, but I’m on real food and still seem to eat the same foods out of fear of not knowing really what I can or can not eat but I know I can’t eat like this forever. Plus it’s boring. I’m enjoying salads soooo much 😫 I really just need to figure other ways to get Protein

You can google bariatric friendly recipes. I still get in foods ruts at four years out. :D This is a long term sustainable way of eating and still is flavorful. I think the fear and questioning if you are doing this right is normal. It gets easier as food becomes habit.

Beef, chicken, seafood, dairy and eggs. Hundreds of options to cook them. I do fajitas no tortilla, Smoked salmon salad, bariatric pizza (my goto) eggplant as lasagna layer instead of noodles. Experiment to find what you like.

Below is my dieticians recipe page for food ideas. Make sure they fit your plan.

http://insidekarenskitchen.com/bariatric-friendly-recipes/

Are you logging your food in a food app?

I use myfitness pal. My food diary is open

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.myfitnesspal.android&hl=en_US

My username is fit_chickx

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/fit_chickx

Edited by skinnylife