Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possible band to bypass - help!

I haven't been on this site for ages.

I was banded in June 2009. Went from 74kg to 50kg, felt great. No major issues with band except that now it is really not helping. Over the past couple of years I have regained to 66kg. I feel as though I am a total failure .

Went to see my Doc on Tuesday and he was lovely. He said that the lifespan of a band is between 5 - 10 years, 15 if you are really lucky and that what I am experiencing is not my fault. I was expecting him to suggest a sleeve but he said no , there are too many issues with reflux and regain etc with sleeves, that my best option is a Roux en Y. Whilst I think that is probably a better option than a sleeve ( at least they are not throwing half your stomach away) it still seems like such a major op. He gave me all the literature, costings etc and he also gave me a small fill ( at my request) although he doesnt think that I will be able to achieve what I want with my band - it has had its day!

Whilst the info for any op is scary it was the risk of death of 1/100 that completely freaked me out. Surely that's not accurate? If it is presumably it is more risky initially when a person is extremely obese and due to anaesthetic risks?

Would love to hear peoples experiences. The good the bad the ugly. If it has helped. If you are keeping the weight off etc. Also links to former threads which may be helpful as I haven't negotiated this site in forever!

TIA

Lynn

I would totally follow the advice of the surgeon. You don't want to be back in 3 years battling reflux/regain, considering a 3rd surgery...

I was weighing up the choice between a revision to a bypass or doing nothing - I definitely wouldn't be looking at going against my surgeon's advice.

My problem ( and my husbands) is that I still have this belief that I "should"be able to do it on my own.

9 hours ago, elcee said:

I was banded in June 2009. Went from 74kg to 50kg, felt great. No major issues with band except that now it is really not helping. Over the past couple of years I have regained to 66kg. I feel as though I am a total failure .

Went to see my Doc on Tuesday and he was lovely. He said that the lifespan of a band is between 5 - 10 years, 15 if you are really lucky and that what I am experiencing is not my fault. I was expecting him to suggest a sleeve but he said no , there are too many issues with reflux and regain etc with sleeves, that my best option is a Roux en Y. Whilst I think that is probably a better option than a sleeve ( at least they are not throwing half your stomach away) it still seems like such a major op. He gave me all the literature, costings etc and he also gave me a small fill ( at my request) although he doesnt think that I will be able to achieve what I want with my band - it has had its day!

Whilst the info for any op is scary it was the risk of death of 1/100 that completely freaked me out. Surely that's not accurate? If it is presumably it is more risky initially when a person is extremely obese and due to anaesthetic risks?

Would love to hear peoples experiences. The good the bad the ugly. If it has helped. If you are keeping the weight off etc. Also links to former threads which may be helpful as I haven't negotiated this site in forever!

TIA

Lynn

I'm a band to bypass revision myself. Banded in 2011... revised this past March. BEST.CHOICE.EVER.

The information on the operation is skewed by old data from older "versions" of the surgery. As medical technology has advanced... this procedure has become exponentially more safe.

Thanks Matt

Can you give me more info on why you believe the revision was the best choice ever.

1 hour ago, elcee said:

Thanks Matt

Can you give me more info on why you believe the revision was the best choice ever.

The band was over hyped, and under performed. I went into the band with all the praise and amazing reports of weight loss, etc. Sadly that information was skewed and reality was much different.

I did lose 60-70 lbs with the band... but then it and I no longer saw eye to eye. The items I should have been eating, hurt or were problematic. I didn't have any slippage or erosion. But when my surgeon removed it, it took them almost 4x longer to remove it than they should have, because it was 100% encapsulated in scar tissue. I don't even want to think what would have happened if I left it in!

The bypass has been everything the band was reported to be when I had it installed. My hunger sensations are greatly reduced, I don't have ANY issues getting stuck now, all the healthy foods the band fought me on, are not a problem at all now. I couldn't be happier with my revision, I'm losing weight like I wanted, I feel fantastic, I don't really have any issues now.

On 9/19/2018 at 6:21 PM, elcee said:

TIA

Lynn

We have had very similar experiences! Except my band caused me issues from day 1. With acid reflux which caused aspiration pneumonia and hospital stays. I had it for 6 years, My band slipped and when I had it removed I gained all 80lbs I had lost and then some. My doctor also didnt want to do the sleeve because he said it had many of the same problems as the band. I just had my revision almost 5 weeks ago and I feel pretty great. I wish I had done the bypass to begin with. They don't even do the bands anymore in this area.

On 9/20/2018 at 6:33 AM, Matt Z said:

The band was over hyped, and under performed. I went into the band with all the praise and amazing reports of weight loss, etc. Sadly that information was skewed and reality was much different.

I did lose 60-70 lbs with the band... but then it and I no longer saw eye to eye. The items I should have been eating, hurt or were problematic. I didn't have any slippage or erosion. But when my surgeon removed it, it took them almost 4x longer to remove it than they should have, because it was 100% encapsulated in scar tissue. I don't even want to think what would have happened if I left it in!

The bypass has been everything the band was reported to be when I had it installed. My hunger sensations are greatly reduced, I don't have ANY issues getting stuck now, all the healthy foods the band fought me on, are not a problem at all now. I couldn't be happier with my revision, I'm losing weight like I wanted, I feel fantastic, I don't really have any issues now.

Same! All the same!! The scar tissue and everything!