Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Successful recover/post op....Looking for ideas

I'm new here....... Will have surgery in October and I am nervous/excited.

Help me out.......What did you do/prepare/buy that made your post op recovery and post op life easier/better/improved?

Honey the only thing that is going to help you be successful is you! Their is nothing you can buy or bring with you to the hospital that will help you to prepare for this journey. I took a bag of unnecessary stuff because I wasn’t able to get out the bed for 5 hours then I was kinda out of it. By the time I was able to get comfortable it was time to go home. GAS PAIN IS THE WORST PART!

Remember Oz didn't give nothing to the Tin Man he didn't already have. Like KRush says, greatness is already within you,,like all of us you just have to let it bloom forth. And you may just be the beautiful precious flower the world has been waiting for. Big beautiful changes ahead! 😛

I really enjoyed watching all of this girl's videos. It was like binge watching something on Netflix :D. This is one of her's on what to bring. There's a bunch like this on YouTube. Good luck with your surgery!

This one has some good ideas for post-op.

Only a few Protein Shakes, as you may not tolerate the ones you like before surgery - most of us could tolerate Premier Protein ready-made or Isopure, or Protein Water. Also Bone Broth in beef and chicken, I added onion and celery and carrots to mine and strained it out. SF popsicles for Fluid. That is about it. Rest as much as you can in between walking to get the gas out...good luck.

Ear plugs. Hospitals are noisy!

My iPad so I could read and play as a distraction.

Phone to talk to or txt people.

Soft pj trousers that sit below tummy button, to not rub on the tender bits. Slippers - lots of walking the halls to get rid of the gas pain, from the gas they pump in to separate your organs so they can operate.

I hate the taste of Water, but sipping it is a big part of recovery so I took flavor drops.

Girlie face stuff, perfume, anything that helps you feel better to pick you up when you’ll be feeling pretty drained...

For further post op I’d say a food scale! I don’t think in ounces so having that made it easier 😂

I took a small string pack full of items and brought no clothes other than what I wore (I had the items on less than an hour in total). I brought my phone and charger, but on surgery day I really didn't want to text or social media. I just wanted to focus on me and my well being.

Post surgery, I can tell you I used my phone for probably 15 minutes in total and that's an over exaggeration because one of the meds given for nausea made my near vision a complete blur. I was content in the far too big surgical gown and surgical socks and happily trotted myself around the floor as many times as possible to help with gas pains and start my exercise regimen. When I wasn't walking, sleeping, I'd watch a little tv and go right back to sleep until someone woke me for breathing treatments, blood draws, or administering of meds.

At discharge (36 hours later), the only thing I missed not bringing was a small pillow for my belly - and I was a little queasy on the ride home.

At home, I relied heavily on homemade Bone Broth Soups (strained) - my body only wanted Hot Drinks and it took me 2 days to drink my 1st Protein Shake and then it reduced for 6 hours, 3 hours, etc... I purchased 5 boxes of Premier Protein 1 week prior to surgery and still have 3 boxes. I also purchased 2 whey Protein isolate bulk jars and both are still half full.

Honestly, the more you bring to the hospital, the more you need to bring home. And post op, it's going to be a lot of trial and error to find out what your new belly likes and doesn't like. Spend money only on things you need to.

Prune juice!

Apricot juice, apricot puree almost,as good, tastes better. Gripes a little less.