Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Murphy's law for fills?

Blossom, what Zoe is describing is having a fill under flouroscopy. It sounds as if your doc does them himself without flouro?

Guest mojjs

Hello all, Just a quick note to see if I am doing something wrong here or what. I was banded on Nov. 9 because of severe acid reflux. I am happy to report I haven't had any acid medication nor sinus medication since.

My question is what I have been experiencing the last week or two. One night after eating supper I felt like something was stuck high in my chest. It hurt! In reading this site some I think that evening I experienced the first of PBing or "sliming". I didn't throw anything that I ate up just "slime". I felt much better instantly after that. I had a Dr. appointment the following Monday and asked the doctor about it. He didn't seem to alarmed. During that visit I got my third fill and went away satisfied.

That night I and the next day until supper I had no problems. Tuesday night a similar high pain incident happened again and Wednesday night again (lunch was fine both days). I turned to this site and read about what was happening. Most of what I read said to take it easy after this happens and after fills. I did the next few meals and had been fine until today.

My husband and I were out of town and so we stopped to eat at a Chinese rest. I selectively picked my food and ate slowly and chewed well. After I finished eating that pressure re-appeared in my chest. It seemed to be getting worse so I got up and left the rest. I hurt for the next 45 minutes to an hour. We started towards home but I eventually hurt so bad I made my husband pull over. I had that "sliming stuff" instantly and even some of the food, not much but some.

What am I doing wrong?? I don't like this - it hurts! I thought I was choosing good foods and chewing well. I would think if food got stuck it would hurt lower and would come up before feeling better.

Can anyone help this pretty much newbie?

Mo

Mo, how much of a fill do you have? You said you were banded on Nov 9th 2004 and have had 3 fills so far? It could be that you are filled just a tad too tight.

As little as having .2 cc's removed can make a huge difference.

Also people do not understand that when you PB and do not do liquids for 24 hrs it is a vicious cycle. Once you PB your esophagus is irritated and swollen so the next solid food you eat the same thing can happen your esophagus needs a rest and time for the swelling to go down.. this could be why it keeps happening, maybe do liquids for a day or 2 and then resumme solids and see if that helps. I know from experience trust me. The other thing is, the less you PB the better off you will be and the longer your band lasts. Pbing often is a major factor in band slippage. My nieghboor PBed 3-4 times a week and her band slipped now she has no band and is gaining weight back rapidly...What food are you choosing? I have had 3 fills and this fill I can not do any rice or breads or Pasta NO WAY! I get the pain in my chest. So I just eliminate those foods ..Sometimes the food will go through the band but you still will have the slime and foamy white stuff..your esophagus goes thorugh one hell of a work out trying to get that food either out or through the band..there is a thread on Esophagitis from me here , if you do a search it is very helpful..Good Luck, if this continues to happen even after restinf your esophagus Iwould cal lyour Dr. maybe you just need a slight bit of your fill removed...

Mo, are you saying you've had three fills since being banded on Nov. 9? Your dr. was not concerned about giving you the third fill if you were pbing? Do you know how much fill you currently have in your band? Do you think you could possibly need a slight unfill? Please be careful. This can cause some very serious problems for you.

Guest mojjs

I had my first fill about a month after and I believe he said it was 1.5cc. My second fill two weeks later was .5 and I believe that last one was .5. I think I have a total of 2.5cc. He had me come in 2, 4, 6 and 8 weeks. Now I don't have to go for a month.

I had only done the one incident of PB ing when I discussed it with him. He said it isn't good but once is a lerning experience.

Why one meal things are okay and the next meal I am in pain? I haven't had any Pasta since being banded, tried bread early but didn't like the feel so haven't had it in about a month. Rice I play by ear. Pretty much white rice is out and I just see the consistency of it on all rice.

I will call Monday and see what he thinks. On the good side I am down about 40lbs.

Thanks guys,

Mo

I think the doctors in Mexico will band anyone, regarless of weight. A woman had her band done the same day as me, and I was frankly shocked cuz she was average height and probalby only in a 14/16. I didn't think she was heavy enough to go trough surgical invetervention, but the Mexican doctors don't have to follow FDA's requirements of being 100 pounds overweight. There was also a 13 year old girl banded the same day as me in Mexico.

So, right now Money is too tight to jet off to Chicaco. I tried finding the local fill guy here, but no luck.

No need to hop on a jet, DeLarla, just make the phone call. Maybe your band will kick in if it thinks it's getting a fill soon! Voodoo science, but it worked for me.

Boy, I agree with Vickie about that 13-year-old. Good grief -- she hasn't even reached her adult height yet, and her internal organs are still developing.

Thanks, Zoe! I'm gonna print that out and show my dr. I have been going to radiology at the hosp for my fills. My surgeon isn't even there. The radiologist have called the machine they use flouroscopy, but you have to lye down. A tv screen shows a live pic of the band and port so that the radiologist can do a fill without missing the port. There is no barium swallow. Hmmm.....

Yes, a 13 year old, if you can believe that. Her aunt was also getting banded the same day. I became very friendly with her parents, who were both at her side the entire time. Mom had undergone a gastric bypass and lost over 100 pounds. When the little girl asked, they weren't able to say no. I'm not sure if anyone in the US would give a 13 year old a Lapband, but anything goes in Mexico. Unfortunately, even though we exchanged e-mail addresses, I've never heard back from her.

13 and banded.... well all i can say is she and her parents must have been so scared tht she was going to have the same weight problems as her mum... was she very overweight?

Mind you if i could have been banded at 13 which is when my weight problems started i might not have lived such a miserable life for the last 20 years yo yo dieting all the time... i know they say prevention is better than cure but still not sure if id want my kids banded at such a young age..

but hey... each to their own i supose

love tracey

When I was banded, this hot guy was hanging around my room and getting friendly with the other band patients. He was the 13 year old's dad, and he was so sweet that he melted my heart. He loved his little girl and didn't want to see her unhappy. He collected all our names and e-mails to help support her. Strange to see such a gorgeous young guy with a heavy daughter. I thought he was her older brother. He appeared much, much younger than her mom (I thought her mom was her Gramma.) But her mom had the bypass, and I've heard that bypass patients look much older after losing weight. They were both so supportive and loving.

She reminded me of myself since she was tall and big boned. It's hard enough being the tallest kid, let alone being overweight. She was probably 80-100 pounds overweight (nothing morbidly obese in my opinion.)