Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!
Introducing the newest flavors of BariatricPal's Protein One! Read more... ×

Large-capacity pouch 6 weeks post op



Recommended Posts

So I can eat much more than the "around a half-cup of solid food" that I was told I could at this point in my post-op journey. Not that I try to each and every time, but I noticed that I was not cognizant of any signs of fullness after eating the obligatory half cup of food per meal. I wanted to have an idea of the real capacity of my "egg-sized" pouch, as well as get an idea of my body's signs of fullness and how to recognize them. I was able to eat a full cup of meat sauce (mostly meat which was ground beef). I didn't feel any fuller at one cup that I feel at a half cup. For my next meal, I could eat an entire 500-calorie slice of lasagna. Again, no sensation of discomfort, fullness, hiccups, sneezing, flushing, or any of the other commonly-mentioned "bariatric fullness" signs. I did *not* test the capacity of my pouch. I stopped at a cup. But I expected to find my limit at somewhere between 1/2 and one cup.

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't doubt that my surgery is working well for me, and I am satisfied with half a cup of food, but I'm a bit concerned that I can eat much larger meals than I was led to believe I would be able to eat. I wonder if the surgeon sleeved me instead of bypassing me. I also have some acid reflux again now. He assured me that I received the bypass, however.

Please note that this question regards RNY gastric bypass only. I am looking for feedback from gastric bypass patients, not gastric sleeve patients.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I also had the bypass and was told that no two patients are the same. I can also eat more then 1/2 c of food but I usually don’t. Sometimes I accidentally overdo it and I’m in a great deal of pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also have a very generous capacity, but my doc does not seem concerned. I just make very sure to eat lean Protein, low fat, low calorie, low carb, lol low everything! And I eat my 3oz or 4oz of dense protein first, then fill up with low glycemic veggies and salads that are pretty low in fat (a tiny bit so I can assimilate the fat soluble Vitamins in them). So far it's working. But yeah, I envy those with tiny pouches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I know you said you did want to hear from anyone w the VSG ... but, I wanted to say that sleeve does not mean more capacity than RNY. So I don't think you should worry that your seemingly larger capacity would mean you were sleeved vs, bypassed.

Edited by sillykitty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/11/2018 at 16:12, gr8ful1 said:



So I can eat much more than the "around a half-cup of solid food" that I was told I could at this point in my post-op journey. Not that I try to each and every time, but I noticed that I was not cognizant of any signs of fullness after eating the obligatory half cup of food per meal. I wanted to have an idea of the real capacity of my "egg-sized" pouch, as well as get an idea of my body's signs of fullness and how to recognize them. I was able to eat a full cup of meat sauce (mostly meat which was ground beef). I didn't feel any fuller at one cup that I feel at a half cup. For my next meal, I could eat an entire 500-calorie slice of lasagna. Again, no sensation of discomfort, fullness, hiccups, sneezing, flushing, or any of the other commonly-mentioned "bariatric fullness" signs. I did *not* test the capacity of my pouch. I stopped at a cup. But I expected to find my limit at somewhere between 1/2 and one cup.




Has anyone else experienced this? I don't doubt that my surgery is working well for me, and I am satisfied with half a cup of food, but I'm a bit concerned that I can eat much larger meals than I was led to believe I would be able to eat. I wonder if the surgeon sleeved me instead of bypassing me. I also have some acid reflux again now. He assured me that I received the bypass, however.




Please note that this question regards RNY gastric bypass only. I am looking for feedback from gastric bypass patients, not gastric sleeve patients.




Thanks!






To be honest, those both seem a bit like slider foods to me, which means perhaps they emptied out of your pouch pretty quickly (allowing you to consume more).

If you eat some something like deli meat or chicken salad or chicken, how much can you consume?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I also feel I can certainly eat more than a half cup - and I’m 3 weeks out from sleeve. I will say with chicken salad, I stop pretty quickly. I do chew to oblivion. Luckily, I losing 1/2 pound a day, so it’s working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/11/2018 at 17:38, sillykitty said:



So I know you said you did want to hear from anyone w the VSG ... but, I wanted to say that sleeve does not mean more capacity than RNY. So I don't think you should worry that your seemingly larger capacity would mean you were sleeved vs, bypassed.


Well, the dietary instructions from the bariatric practice say that, after 7 weeks, bypass patients should be eating around 1/2 cup per meal while sleeve patients should be eating around 2/3 cup per meal. I assumed that meant that sleeves generally have more capacity than pouches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/11/2018 at 18:56, insta_adventurer said:

To be honest, those both seem a bit like slider foods to me, which means perhaps they emptied out of your pouch pretty quickly (allowing you to consume more).



If you eat some something like deli meat or chicken salad or chicken, how much can you consume?
I hear you, and the thought did occur to me. Tonight I had chicken for the first time since surgery, and I must admit I did seem to have more of a full sensation after eating that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/11/2018 at 19:56, Vizslamom said:

I also feel I can certainly eat more than a half cup - and I’m 3 weeks out from sleeve. I will say with chicken salad, I stop pretty quickly. I do chew to oblivion. Luckily, I losing 1/2 pound a day, so it’s working.
I haven’t been allowed chicken until now. Chicken salad sounds pretty good. I’ll have to add that to my diet soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/11/2018 at 17:37, FluffyChix said:



I also have a very generous capacity, but my doc does not seem concerned. I just make very sure to eat lean Protein, low fat, low calorie, low carb, lol low everything! And I eat my 3oz or 4oz of dense Protein first, then fill up with low glycemic veggies and salads that are pretty low in fat (a tiny bit so I can assimilate the fat soluble Vitamins in them). So far it's working. But yeah, I envy those with tiny pouches.


I’m not going to worry to much about it. Bottom line is that this surgery is helping me to control what and how much I shovel into my face, and so far it is working! I like the way you think with regard to the Vitamins. That is the reason I don’t take vitamins in pill form. I want to take my fat-soluble vitamins with food, and I don’t want to drink Water while eating. So I have my chewables with Breakfast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/11/2018 at 17:37, FluffyChix said:



I also have a very generous capacity, but my doc does not seem concerned. I just make very sure to eat lean Protein, low fat, low calorie, low carb, lol low everything! And I eat my 3oz or 4oz of dense Protein first, then fill up with low glycemic veggies and salads that are pretty low in fat (a tiny bit so I can assimilate the fat soluble Vitamins in them). So far it's working. But yeah, I envy those with tiny pouches.


Oh, I also read somewhere about a study that found almost no correlation between pouch size and weight loss success after bariatric surgery. So consider your bigger pouch a gift! :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gr8ful1 said:
14 hours ago, FluffyChix said:


I also have a very generous capacity, but my doc does not seem concerned. I just make very sure to eat lean Protein, low fat, low calorie, low carb, lol low everything! And I eat my 3oz or 4oz of dense Protein first, then fill up with low glycemic veggies and salads that are pretty low in fat (a tiny bit so I can assimilate the fat soluble Vitamins in them). So far it's working. But yeah, I envy those with tiny pouches.

Oh, I also read somewhere about a study that found almost no correlation between pouch size and weight loss success after bariatric surgery. So consider your bigger pouch a gift! :-)

Yes, I believe the study showed no correlation up to being able to eat 9oz maybe? I can't remember if that's by volume or weight? I can eat 9oz of volume. LOL. I can eat probably 12oz by volume. :( :crap:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been able to eat more than 1 cup much sooner than "normal". But this is where the "every single WLS is different" comes into play. No one has the same surgery, not even twins having the same surgery on the same day by the same doctor would have the same exact surgery, pouch size, weight loss speed, etc etc etc.

As long as you are following your diet, aren't having any issues, are satisfied with the amounts you are instructed to eat, aren't binging or otherwise sabotaging yourself... then this is 100% a non-issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

I've been able to eat more than 1 cup much sooner than "normal". But this is where the "every single WLS is different" comes into play. No one has the same surgery, not even twins having the same surgery on the same day by the same doctor would have the same exact surgery, pouch size, weight loss speed, etc etc etc.

As long as you are following your diet, aren't having any issues, are satisfied with the amounts you are instructed to eat, aren't binging or otherwise sabotaging yourself... then this is 100% a non-issue.

OT, but hey @Matt Z love the new avi!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

OT, but hey @Matt Z love the new avi!

What's OT mean in this instance? And thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • danieocean

      Going through a lot of personal issues...came to visit my mom to try and figure out what I need to do. I'm really experiencing that head hunger I keep hearing about. In my lowest moments I feel most hungry. My stomach hurts like I'm starving. Trying to get in and see a therapist ASAP. Just really struggling to keep it all together. It's really weird to feel like this and not have food...I feel lost. SOunds so ridiculous. Sorry to be a downer, just been a hell of a day. 😕
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • GreenTealael

      Today I decided  along with grilled salmon I would eat yogurt. Not mixed together but bite for bite. Things are getting weird at Chateau GreenTealael
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • CrankyMagpie

      Had my one month (really, a day short of 6 weeks) post-op appointment today. Everybody seemed pretty happy with how things are going, and I'm now officially in Phase III (long-term bariatric eating phase), with the caveat that rice and pasta are still not allowed, and no alcohol until at least the three month mark. (Not a problem.) But I'm cleared to have fruits and veggies! 🥦🍎🥗🍊🍇🍓 So exciting! I want an apple so badly. (OK, like, a third of an apple, with peanut butter, because I'm not sure a full apple will fit in my stomach, and eating something without any protein feels wrong.)

      I'm also cleared to exercise, though I've been advised to start slow with weights and to stop if I feel any "tearing" (😨) in my abdomen. Back to the pool with me! (I hurt my foot, so walking is out right now. I hate it. Swimming and starting with weight lifting should do a lot for my mood, though.)
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • covarrubia911

      Scheduled 11/05/2018 for the second time to get a gastric sleeve. woke up from surgery with the nurses telling me. They were unable to do surgery .unable to introduce Laparoscopy when it needed to be. had to abort it. Too dangerous for me. I was so Very Depressed. I'm doing better with the depression. I must believe My Doctor Aborted surgery to Protect me .But I wanted this surgery so bad. Well I'm suppose to see him on 11/16/18 to discuss alternative methods. Hopefully I can Reschedule it for the third time

      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Jazzy1125

      5 days Post op Update:
      Well today is 5 days. I feel great! I still have some gas i am dealing with but with each sip comes a burp. Hopefully this part will be done with soon. I started my blood thinners shots this morning as they stopped them day after surgery due to too much drainage. I went back to work yesterday, didnt do much! My boss made me sit in her office all day lol.. but i am back and i am feeling good. I was able to get my liquids in yesterday and had my first BM yesterday, with another following this morning! I think i am doing pretty well for just having surgery. My weight is still up. I had gained almost 14 pounds during surgery due to gas and liquids, and lost 10 of it to date. Have 4 pounds to go before back to surgery date weight! 
      · 1 reply
      1. FluffyChix

        Congrats!! We love BMs! :D

  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×