Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Teriffying experience blockage of food

I’ve had the same problem :( and my story sounds exactly like yours. Did you figure out why food was getting stuck? That part of the body was not altered with surgery so it’s strange that food is now getting stuck there.

Probably pure spasm, possibly a stricture, been fighting it for over a year, trying to remain patent/open, I'm told now ( late September 2019) that my stoma is small in size, that my jejunem is open with visible scars from where last year's ulcers were, so thin foods do go through slowly but they do finally go through. Still. have not graduated to any more than moderately tho k pureed chew as I may. Precious still provides me with emesis on a frequent basis, 3-5 times weekly, keep extra gray Wal-Mart bags in the wastebasket near my Recliner so I can tie off and dispose of what Precious Pouch declines. On the Good Side I am regaining the size I had as a late Teenager- never expected to be under 300, under 200 and we'll into Onederland, after a starting BMI of 53.6, finally found my Ist Visit Summary from O,S,U, Bariatrics--- a BMI of 28.3 seems like achieving an Impossible Dream. And after Size 30W, a Size 16 to 18, majority 16 is a definite WhewBaby. So perhaps there are benefits to the Whole Shebang I have gone through. Just for my Own Peace of Mind, I wish somebody would be honest and stamp "Gastrointestinally Crippled" because at coming up to 13 months, I wonder if I will ever be "RIGHT" again, will I still have a "Healing Day" IDK When, IDK in what Manner, but nobody told ME yet to stop praying👼🙏so I continue till my breath leaves ME SomeDay. Maybe I trusted in -All Things Will Be Made New- perhaps for ME only a Bible Verse. But, you know, I AM still better, healthier and thinner than I started out so perhaps I should be praying for Placid Acceptance at This Point.

And I ate things that usually agree with me tonight, so why did I just wake up at 3 AM upchucking ,sad isn't it? Right about now I do wish I had my entire stomach, unrouted, too efficient at digesting calories and storing them on my body in case of famine. Surely I inherited that capability from some distant ancestor who did have to face such a thing, no real famines in Mid-America currently. And I did sleep through the night, not the " Am I through puking or not?" sensation. Maybe if I can go back to sleep get some good rest I will 💘 my RNY Bypass once again, but if my Surgeon was with i n Easy Grasp instead of over 50 miles away, I WOULD BE SINGING the song from the Little Abner Movie :" PUT ME BACK THE WAY I WAS!" Difficult, tedious , requiring an High Sill level, have to be done OPEN instead of laproscopically, if I DIE, I would at least Go to My Lord--- Whole Once Again.😪😦💦

2 hours ago, Frustr8 said:

And I ate things that usually agree with me tonight, so why did I just wake up at 3 AM upchucking ,sad isn't it? Right about now I do wish I had my entire stomach, unrouted, too efficient at digesting calories and storing them on my body in case of famine. Surely I inherited that capability from some distant ancestor who did have to face such a thing, no real famines in Mid-America currently. And I did sleep through the night, not the " Am I through puking or not?" sensation. Maybe if I can go back to sleep get some good rest I will 💘 my RNY Bypass once again, but if my Surgeon was with i n Easy Grasp instead of over 50 miles away, I WOULD BE SINGING the song from the Little Abner Movie :" PUT ME BACK THE WAY I WAS!" Difficult, tedious , requiring an High Sill level, have to be done OPEN instead of laproscopically, if I DIE, I would at least Go to My Lord--- Whole Once Again.😪😦💦

OH man...sorry you experienced that. This is quite a journey, huh? You are a tough gal!!

Every day and every meal can be different. Today it goes well and tomorrow I cant tolerate the same food. I was told no Hamburger/Pork/Steak for 6-8 months. They are to hard to digest. If I get the slime's back to full liquids for 24 hours. My rule is if there is no Protein in the food/water don't eat it. So far down 60lbs and it will be 4 months in 2 days. I can still barely handle 50-60gms of Protein a day and maybe 40oz of Water, and that's with a lot of effort all day long. They still want me at 80gms of Protein but I just cant get that all in. Example a good day is; Decafe coffee( half strength with added hot water) with Protein Premier(1/2 bottle 15gms Protein) instead of milk. Then a yogurt for 15gms Protein. Then sipping on Protein water rest of Morning, lunch I do 2-3 chicken meatballs or chicken Chilli with cheese on top about 3-4 oz ( 10gms of protein). Sipping on Protein water rest of day. For dinner 2-4 Scallops and a side of Zoodles for 3-4oz total ( 10gmsof Protein). Every Surgeon if different but honestly this slow progression has worked for me. The two times I vomited/slimed was all my fault. I didn't chew until the food was liquid in my mouth. the second I forgot and took a drink while eating. It amazing me what some people can tolerate at 3-4 weeks. I was told think of your stomach as a Newborn and treat it as well. Slow= easy= gentle. You wont give a newborn Hambuger or steak. Sorry for all the issues you guys have had to go through. BABY STEPS

On 9/26/2018 at 9:52 PM, TakingABreak said:

This is not true. Some patients, especially baratric programs in the UK, you leave the hospital on purred food. Everyone has a different program. And it depends on the type of surgery as well. My consisted of this: Clear Liquids during my hospital stay,1 week of full liquids, 1 week of purred foods, 1 week soft foods, and by the beginning of week 4 I was eating normal foods.

Therefore, if the OP was eating fish on week 3, that would have been acceptable in my program. Obviously, you would want the fish to be moist and cooked to accommodate our sensitive pouches. I ate tuna fish and salmon as one of my staples during week 3, soft food stage.

I'm in the UK and my program was very different to yours. 2 weeks full fluids on discharge, then I am on my 2nd week of puree, no solids yet.

Every surgeon has their preferred regimen, it isn't a country thing but a surgeon thing :)

On 9/21/2019 at 7:18 AM, always said:

I can still barely handle 50-60gms of Protein a day and maybe 40oz of Water, and that's with a lot of effort all day long. They still want me at 80gms of Protein but I just cant get that all in.

I’m taking it slow since I’ve got a lot of issues going on. One thing I found is that some doctors expect way too high a protein consumption. Since excess converts to glucose in the body and I struggle with glucose intolerance I keep my daily protein between 50-60 grams. Mostly around 50 unless I just happen to get a little more. I started purée and couldn’t tolerate it especially meat, chicken, fish even softened and very wet, I’d get very slow nibbles in and my gut said no no no, so I stick to what I can tolerate until I’m ready and have some things sorted out with my doctors. I also got foamies on a liquid shake, I definitely drank very very slow. Out of nowhere it caused me to heave and feel the need to bring it back up. I think because I tried to drink a shake that had an ingredient I’m allergic to. Though could also have been due to the Dysphasia and the fact that I was doing loads of laundry and exhausted myself.

My nutritionist urged me to try again and have some soft vegetables as well. I’m going to have to have a colonoscopy in a few days and endoscopy as well to find out what’s going on with my stricture. They say a sliding hiatal hernia isn’t a big deal except if there’s symptoms. There’s also a Schatzki ring. Like a band of tissue around the esophagus.

One problem I have is drinking Water and thinner liquids. I have a neurological form of dysphasia, it was coincidentally diagnosed after surgery. Thinner liquids make me nauseous, ready to hurl, my chest hurt, and put me at risk for aspirational pneumonia. I can’t get answers what the cause is but even if they knew there is no fix.

Sometimes it’s error on the persons part, but sometimes it’s something that needs to be addressed with the surgeon or other doctors.

Edited by Darktowerdream