Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2018 Sleevers

7 minutes ago, tmrtyty2018 said:

I’m just trying to take it one day at a time but I keep asking myself if I made the right decision or if I’m a failure because I wasn’t able to just buckle down like one of those people I see in the news and lose the weight without surgery. I’m hoping it gets better. It’s not all negative. I’ve lost quite a bit just in 5 days but I have a lot more to go.

You are NOT a failure. If you lost the weight without surgery, the most likely outcome would be gaining it back (like I did.) I really like this article.

https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/everything-you-know-about-obesity-is-wrong/

I know how you feel.. my first few days post op I was crying a lot and thinking why did I do this, I should have tried harder without surgery. But now I’m feeling so much better (my surgery was Monday 10/1) and the scale makes me smile!!

Just keep hanging in there I promise it gets better!!

My surgery was Oct 1st 2018. The first day and night were rough. The anaesthesia made me very groggy, yet the nurses were adamant on getting up and walking, when all I wanted to do was sleep. The gas was more painful then the laparoscopic incisions for me. I was in the hospital 3 days total. The hardest part being home has been to not want to eat what everyone else is. It's a mental thing I think. Like I'm not genuinely hungry, but I want to taste that spaghetti or pizza or brownies. Just for the flavor. I've also found it hard to stay hydrated enough. The Protein Shakes are absolutely disgusting to me and I've tried a few different brands and flavors. Any advice on anything from anyone would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to changes, but am a little discouraged at the moment. Thanks for taking the time to read/listen.

7 hours ago, GirlShrinking said:

Nope. not in the pre-op diet phase I asked about apple sauce (because it’s cheap) plus I love apples, haha and she said ‘only unsweetened applesauce’ . After surgery once I’m back in the solid phase I can have fruit.

She gave me this sample post-op plan to go by aiming for 7 carbs, 8 Protein and 9 Fats (to start with) it’ll be adjusted as I go along to maximize weight-loss with the surgery.

Have you tried setting a timer to drink one Protein Shake of 8oz? When I had my first visit with the nutritionist I had a Protein shake and she asked me how long have I had it (that day) I said since Breakfast. She shook her head and say ‘it shouldn’t take you all day to drink one shake. If it does then you’re not hungry’ then told me to throw it out ‘it’s too much’. I asked her what’s the amount of time it should take me? She said at least an hour (before surgery) and after surgery she said you should be ‘full’ after a half hour with ONE 8oz shake.. that’ll be 4oz..

She also said that some patients drink ‘around’ their sleeves meaning they’re drinking to frequent and not feeling ‘full’ and that’s why a timer is helpful to encourage you to drink that shake within that time frame and learning when you’re ‘full’

I started my journey the beginning of February this year (lost up until today 40lbs) and been practicing the tips that I’ve learned from the nutritionist and support groups they make you go to, to learn from veteran sleevers, by-pass and even lap-band patients.. They also give you these packets of nutritional tips and websites, apps.. list goes on. It’s up to me to learn the new lifestyle that is about to be after my surgery. It’s truly a lifestyle change and I’ve learned a lot. :)

image-0.00202655792236328.jpg

Yeah, I also cant have fruit until I am back on solid foods and even then my NUT suggested I take the skin off apples because they made be rough going down. Also super disappointment I'm missing prime apple season considering they are my favorite.

It sounds like your NUT has never had the surgery and doesn't understand how the first week out of surgery is (for some of us). I'm struggling to get in 35 oz a DAY, no way I could do 4 oz of a Protein Shake in a half hour. For me it doesn't have anything to do with feeling full or not. I actually haven't experienced any hunger since the surgery. Simply if I drink too much, too big of gulp, or too quickly, I experience pain in my chest. So that leaves me slowly taking baby sips of everything throughout the day so that I can stay hydrated and try to meet protein goals. I was able to bring in 42 oz of liquids and 55 grams of protein yesterday and I really had to push it to get to that point. Before surgery I could drink a 11oz pre-made Protein Drink in like 5 minutes if I wanted. The experience of drinking things is totally different after surgery.

I agree, definitely a lifestyle change. Each day after surgery for me has been a learning experience.

5 minutes ago, Vwlover0611 said:

My surgery was Oct 1st 2018. The first day and night were rough. The anaesthesia made me very groggy, yet the nurses were adamant on getting up and walking, when all I wanted to do was sleep. The gas was more painful then the laparoscopic incisions for me. I was in the hospital 3 days total. The hardest part being home has been to not want to eat what everyone else is. It's a mental thing I think. Like I'm not genuinely hungry, but I want to taste that spaghetti or pizza or brownies. Just for the flavor. I've also found it hard to stay hydrated enough. The Protein Shakes are absolutely disgusting to me and I've tried a few different brands and flavors. Any advice on anything from anyone would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to changes, but am a little discouraged at the moment. Thanks for taking the time to read/listen.

Hey! I had surgery Oct 2nd. I've found that powder Protein Drinks that I can make myself taste way better than the pre-made ones. I tried one of the muscle milks yesterday and it tasted like chemicals to me. However, I've been doing fairlife milk with Celebrate Peanut Butter cookie Protein Powder and it has tasted good so far. Mixed together, 8oz of that has 33 grams of Protein. Also struggling to get in all my liquids. Each day, I've been doing a little bit better though.

On 10/07/2018 at 11:43, Vwlover0611 said:

I hear you!!! I cannot take the Protein Shakes. I’m sipping everything else I can but I just can’t get them down. My doctor said staying hydrated is more important than Protein at this point so that’s what I’m concentrating on. And the hunger is definitely mental. My sister and aunt had cheese fries and onion rings and hot dogs yesterday next to me and I was just like... I hate you both lol

How are you feeling otherwise?

1 minute ago, JennieJuniper said:

I hear you!!! I cannot take the Protein Shakes. I’m sipping everything else I can but I just can’t get them down. My doctor said staying hydrated is more important than Protein at this point so that’s what I’m concentrating on. And the hunger is definitely mental. My sister and aunt had cheese fries and onion rings and hot dogs yesterday next to me and I was just like... I hate you both lol

You guys could also try the unflavored Unjury Protein powder mixed in Water. I could taste it in the water but when I did 1/4 Gatorade, 3/4 water and the powder it tasted fine.

Yeah, I made it to 4 ounces in an hour on day 3 (with surgery day as day 0), but not before that. My team's goals for me are 64 ounces of Fluid and 60-80 grams of protein--but they note that a more realistic Protein goal for now is 30-40 grams/day. They also say no drinks with more than 15 grams of sugar per 8 ounce serving, which I guess means some fruit juices might be OK... but they definitely don't list them in their list of drinks to have.

I also feel like I"m "cheating," because I'm taking one of the anti-nausea pills every morning, to help me get to my goals. I mean, they prescribed them? So it's probably fine? But it will be nice when I don't feel like I'm risking making myself sick with every beverage.

3 minutes ago, Oct517 said:

You guys could also try the unflavored Unjury Protein Powder mixed in Water. I could taste it in the Water but when I did 1/4 Gatorade, 3/4 water and the powder it tasted fine.

Thank you. I'll have to look into that

6 minutes ago, JennieJuniper said:

I'm feeling pretty good otherwise, besides for feeling kind of weak I guess. You?

I have also been drinking whatever I can, crystal light, snapple and taking my Vitamins. I tried to eat a mozzarella stick last night, I dont know why, but I did. And it was awful pain. Felt like I needed to vomit but didnt. That was incredibly stupid and dangerous on my part.

It's a rainy day here where I am so I kind of have stayed in my room away from everyone simply because I miss sitting down and eating with my family. I know that isnt yhe best way to cope with it but I figured today, that's what I'm gonna do.

I am gonna look into the unflavored Protein powder oct517 suggested though, it could be a start. Amazon here I come. Lol

1 hour ago, JennieJuniper said:

I know how you feel.. my first few days post op I was crying a lot and thinking why did I do this, I should have tried harder without surgery. But now I’m feeling so much better (my surgery was Monday 10/1) and the scale makes me smile!!

Just keep hanging in there I promise it gets better!!

Thank you! I’m so glad I found the support here I don’t know how I’d be passing the time otherwise. I’m excited to try all the recipes on this website as I continue on my healthy journey. I just need to get pas the first freakin 7 days. LOL I’m sipping my chicken Bone Broth now trying to get some nutrition. I know I have not been getting enough. Contributing to my low energy.

“I tried to eat a mozzarella stick last night, I dont know why, but I did.”
Can I just say that one of the things I LOVE most about y’all is that you are so willing to keep it real! @vwlover0611 Thank you!! As someone who is taking this journey 100% alone I am so so thankful to this supportive community. VSG oct18. Ready to get it done!!

“I tried to eat a mozzarella stick last night, I dont know why, but I did.”
Can I just say that one of the things I LOVE most about y’all is that you are so willing to keep it real!@vwlover0611 Thank you!! As someone who is taking this journey 100% alone I am so so thankful to this supportive community. VSG oct18. Ready to get it done!!
Well thank you for that. I figure honesty is the best policy, especially considering I'm so new at all this.@Shazz73 you will do just fine when you have yours. I'm glad I found this group, it has been a blessing to hear others stories and trials and tribulations. We will all get through it :-)

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

And after all of this is Over you will have joined a Select Sorority of Bariatric Winners. "Phi No-more Rump Omega" We may not have jackets but we do have banners. Mine will say " She saw a Need, She developed a Plan and She Did It!" What will YOURS say?🚩🎈🚩

On 10/07/2018 at 11:38, Frustr8 said:

And after all of this is Over you will have joined a Select Sorority of Bariatric Winners. "Phi No-more Rump Omega" We may not have jackets but we do have banners. Mine will say " She saw a Need, She developed a Plan and She Did It!" What will YOURS say?🚩🎈🚩
I will gladly join this sorority and wave that banner! It pretty much nails it. 💜