Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2018 Sleevers

Just back to vent!! Had surgery Monday 10/1. Surgery was more involved than they thought. I had a large hiatal hernia that needed to be repaired and a lot of scar tissue adhesions that had to be removed. I went home Tuesday and felt pretty good. Wednesday I felt really good and was excited. Well Thursday I woke up feeling like shit. I couldn’t drink and had the diarrhea. Of course I had to get my period also (tmi) which really put me over the edge. After being sick all day Thursday I was sent back to hospital Friday for iv fluids, nausea meds, and stronger pain meds because of the severe stomach cramps. I slept most of yesterday and woke up this morning feeling good again. Now as they say has gone on I feel like shit again. I am totally regretting this as I just want to feel better and eat a friggin meal. Since 830am I’ve only been able to get in 20 oz. then I get the diarrhea again!!!!!! I have 3 kids and I have to go back to work Tuesday. I guess I just wasn’t expecting to feel this bad at this point. Just feeling sad.

Aapb79gmail.com I’m so sorry you’re having such a hard time. I had diarrhea at the hospital but they said it was normal.. what does your doctor say?

For those of you who are home - how are stairs? My doc says I'll be OK in my 3-story townhome, but I'm concerned. Bedroom is on 3rd floor, as is only full bath. Half bath on 2nd floor (as is kitchen and living room). How hard is that going to be? And there's not a lot of room to walk, so if I want to walk, I'll really need to go outside. Thanks!

And any advice on anything I can pre-prep? Planning to buy various Protein Drinks, probably cook some veggies down to purees and freeze them so they're ready for at stage. Bought some of those Millie's sipping broth bags and some unflavored Protein Powder to use with them. Anything else I can cook/do now to make it easier. I just know after a previous (orthopedic) surgery, I was SO tired for weeks after and had a hard time getting myself motivated to cook. Thanks!
I live on the second floor of my apt building (no elevator). The first day home, it was a bit painful to get up and down them. Now ( 4 day post op), its not as bad. Just got to take one at a time and hold the railing

Sent from my SM-G960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Just back to vent!! Had surgery Monday 10/1. Surgery was more involved than they thought. I had a large hiatal hernia that needed to be repaired and a lot of scar tissue adhesions that had to be removed. I went home Tuesday and felt pretty good. Wednesday I felt really good and was excited. Well Thursday I woke up feeling like ****. I couldn’t drink and had the diarrhea. Of course I had to get my period also (tmi) which really put me over the edge. After being sick all day Thursday I was sent back to hospital Friday for iv fluids, nausea meds, and stronger pain meds because of the severe stomach cramps. I slept most of yesterday and woke up this morning feeling good again. Now as they say has gone on I feel like **** again. I am totally regretting this as I just want to feel better and eat a friggin meal. Since 830am I’ve only been able to get in 20 oz. then I get the diarrhea again!!!!!! I have 3 kids and I have to go back to work Tuesday. I guess I just wasn’t expecting to feel this bad at this point. Just feeling sad.
Sorry things are not going as smoothly as you like so far. I surgery 10/2 and have had some good days and some bad. Yesterday, I had to take the hydrocodone they sent me home with because I decided to walk around the mall and it was way too much for me. Today, I've been taking it easier and havent felt as bad. Each day gets a bit easier which is what is keeping me positive. Also checked the scale and was 4 pound lighter than when I went into surgery which is nice. Tmi, I also have had diarrhea since day 2 post OP. I figure it's better than being constipated.

Doctor said at this point I shouldn’t have diarrhea unless I am trying different things that aren’t agreeing with me. All I have had is Water, Jello, popsicle here and there. I haven’t tried anything else because I don’t want the diarrhea or cramps to continue. I am starving but also feel like I want to puke. I am just feeling super sensitive and not sure this was the right thing to do. Thanks for all the support

Doctor said at this point I shouldn’t have diarrhea unless I am trying different things that aren’t agreeing with me. All I have had is Water, Jello, popsicle here and there. I haven’t tried anything else because I don’t want the diarrhea or cramps to continue. I am starving but also feel like I want to puke. I am just feeling super sensitive and not sure this was the right thing to do. Thanks for all the support
Hmm. I'll have to ask my doc about the diarrhea when I see him on Thursday. I havent been eating anything "new" . It also not consistent for me or giving me any cramps. Ive gone about once a day since day 2 post op. I've been thinking it's just the Protein Shakes and what not.
The starving part sounds interesting. I havent felt any hunger since the surgery. I had some head cravings for pizza but no actual hunger. Did you doc give you something for stomach acid?

Yes. My doctor told me not to start the Protein Shakes yet at all because they can cause diarrhea. So maybe that’s your? I don’t know what going on with me. Maybe just all the trauma and I got my period, which I didn’t need at all during this!!! I am taking Pepcid chewable twice a day. Now zofran for nausea. And pain meds crushed. Trying to stay away from pain meds because I don’t have much in my stomach. It’s so hard to explain but I just don’t feel good. I hope I feel better and the regret goes away soon because life goes on and I have a busy life and have to push through sick or not :(

My surgeon told me as long as I stay under 60grams of carbs with low calories and high Protein that all should be good for surgery. So I’ve been focusing on the low carbs (mostly baby food 4oz jars) with 2g of sugar and low in calories anywhere between 20-30calories.

Idk if this will help anyone out there. Also, he said if you feel like you’re getting hungrier to replace all Snacks with 4 8oz Protein Shakes a day..

My surgeon told me as long as I stay under 60grams of carbs with low calories and high Protein that all should be good for surgery. So I’ve been focusing on the low carbs (mostly baby food 4oz jars) with 2g of sugar and low in calories anywhere between 20-30calories.

Idk if this will help anyone out there. Also, he said if you feel like you’re getting hungrier to replace all Snacks with 4 8oz Protein Shakes a day..
I was told that baby food is a big no-no for bariatric patients. Most have tons of sodium and other preservatives in them. They're also designed with the purpose to help infants/babies gain weight and get bigger, while our goal is the opposite.

Yes. My doctor told me not to start the Protein Shakes yet at all because they can cause diarrhea. So maybe that’s your? I don’t know what going on with me. Maybe just all the trauma and I got my period, which I didn’t need at all during this!!! I am taking Pepcid chewable twice a day. Now zofran for nausea. And pain meds crushed. Trying to stay away from pain meds because I don’t have much in my stomach. It’s so hard to explain but I just don’t feel good. I hope I feel better and the regret goes away soon because life goes on and I have a busy life and have to push through sick or not :(
Hmm. It may be the Protein Shake (it took me 3 days to finish one) or maybe the Protein hot chocolate I drank. I have never really had normal bowel movements (even pre op) so it's not bothering me a ton.
Yes, I'd probably be a lot more cranky if I was on my period while also dealing with the uncomfortableness.
I understand the whole "I dont feel good", I'm feeling better today but yesterday I kept saying that to my mom while we were out. She kept asking me what's wrong and I'm like "Idk!! I just dont feel good."

(October 2nd surgery) I can only speak for myself.. but I know the depression is definitely setting in because I’m sitting home all day thinking about the food I can’t have. I have to imagine anyone in the world would feel this way after almost a week of eating nothing at all with substance! I’ve been so down on myself & crying all day but I’m having a moment of clarity! We’re all going to get through this. 2 months goes by so fast and by then we’ll all see results, feel healthier, & be on a normal diet! We can do this (even though most of the time in the last 4 days I’ve felt like I can’t at all... I’m sure I’ll be crying again later) I miss food. But of course I miss food because for the last 26 years every time I was upset I have Pasta or something else delicious. I got my period this week too & have had diarrhea too (my doctor says Protein Shakes do that) but honestly it feels nice to have something not staying in my body and making me feel so full.

I’m down 16 pounds since they weighed me at the hospital pre-op but I don’t believe that because different scales give different numbers. But 9lbs using only my scale. I’m scared the weight will stop coming off. I’m scared I’m going to mess this all up. Scared I’m stuck being like this forever. Scared I made a mistake getting the surgery....

But we all did it. We’ve made it this far. Through all the appointments, all the times someone at those appointments asked you to say your weight out loud, through the pain of surgery. Everything. Which I can only HOPE means we can push through these next two months.

I know this is so long and I’m sorry. But no one else understands. Remind me when I’m hysterically crying at 3am wishing I could have a slice of pizza that there was a point when I saw clarity in all of this hahaha.

I have faith in all of us (well all of you at least) it’s going to get better

Hey I must be drinking the wrong brands, mine bind me up tighter the a Bass Drum! About ready to give myself a wake- up dose of MoM, no results since late Wednesday, when I do, they aren't hard💩just not a whole lot because I haven't progressed past liquids. Another,thing to discuss with my Bariatric Team,isn't it?

Had surgery on October 1st and wanted to come here with positivity so I had to wait before posting. In my case, I’m soooo hungry. I know they say is not real hunger but I’m telling you, I’m hungry. Of course I’m following my doctors orders by taking 3 Proteins and Water and broth but it’s hard. My advise for the upcoming surgeries scheduled is to find a way prior to surgery to suppress your hunger and control yourself. It is very important. The good part about it is that I feel pretty well and not uncomfortable at all with incisions. Please give me an advise on what to do

2 hours ago, Oct517 said:

I was told that baby food is a big no-no for bariatric patients. Most have tons of sodium and other preservatives in them. They're also designed with the purpose to help infants/babies gain weight and get bigger, while our goal is the opposite.

They make baby food that's organic and without preservatives. Like pears in pear juice. Sodium is actually a good for you, with all that Water. That's why they recommend V8. It's really just reading the label. Of course do what your doctor said, mine just had a different opinion on them.