Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smelling Sewage Constantly

I am 7 months out. So far so good. I am smelling sewage constantly. Does anyone experience this.

I assume a sinus infection has been ruled out?

If you're going crazy, so am I - it's not constant, but I certainly seem to be a lot more sensitive to sewage smells post-op than I was before. Some other smells too: I had some rugrats over and for a week afterwards, I'd suddenly get a whiff of berry tube yogurt. My sister later told me one of the kids had spilled a little on a couch and she'd cleaned it up, which I'm sure she did, since I'm the only one in the entire family who keeps smelling it. I'm also pretty sure one of my perfumes has turned, though no one else thinks it has.

So maybe it's just a sharper sense of smell?

Edited by sideeye

Altered neural responsivity to food cues in relation to food preferences, but not appetite-related hormone concentrations after RYGB-surgery

Taste, smell and appetite change after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery

Olfactory and Gustatory Function After Bariatric Surgery

Reported appetite, taste and smell changes following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy: Effect of gender, type 2 diabetes and relationship to post-operative weight loss.

Taste and Olfactory Changes Following Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass and Sleeve Gastrectomy

Sinus infection ruled out. Then the other night I put straight vinegar on my legs because I was itching. I could not smell it. My husband asked me to leave because I smelled like a salad.i stuck my nose in the bottle and smelled nothing.

Edited by Happyhealthy

A few years ago (long before wls) I had a similar issue. Everything I smelled was like rotten onions.
Long story short, no sinus infection, but rather a blockage. I ultimately had the roto-rooter of sinus surgeries to clean me out.

But, since surgery my sence of smell has definitely heightened. As well as my palate.

Ok, so how much Protein are you eating. How much are you drinking?

You may be nose blind to acetoacetoacetate (a by-product) of ketosis.

And you may also be smelling ammonia or ketones in your urine, sweat, and bm's. Also, when you go into ketosis, you can temporarily go more acidic which can make you smell cat pee smells--especially in things like black coffee.

Sometimes I get an awful taste/smell from my breath!!! I keep a toothbrush and toothpaste at work for this very reason!!!

Could it also be ketosis, body fat being burned for metabolism fuel? Somebody told me this is true.😰

Right after surgery my tastes and smells changed. They are better now, but still off sometimes. I do get the foul smell pretty often, but my breathe and sweat are atrocious! I think it is because of the ketosis, because on one of my past 100-pound losses (Without the band or RNY) my breath smelled the same way.

I don't have one, so I can't say that it works, but have you thought about something lava navage where it rinses out your sinus cavity with saline?

I'm allergic to pretty much everything (Not foods/drugs though), so my sinuses are always up to something. I've just gotten used to it to be honest.

Right after surgery my tastes and smells changed. They are better now, but still off sometimes. I do get the foul smell pretty often, but my breathe and sweat are atrocious! I think it is because of the ketosis, because on one of my past 100-pound losses (Without the band or RNY) my breath smelled the same way.
I don't have one, so I can't say that it works, but have you thought about something lava navage where it rinses out your sinus cavity with saline?
I'm allergic to pretty much everything (Not foods/drugs though), so my sinuses are always up to something. I've just gotten used to it to be honest.

I’ve found that I am much more sensitive to chemical smells like carpet cleaner and air sprays. Also, I seem to have lost my taste for fish. I’m hoping it’s only temporary. I am 8 weeks out.

I don’t know if my breath or skin smells bad. My husband says no. All I know is that inside my nose is a walking sewer. It’s making me sick and not hungry

I'm not even a week out yet, but I'm so glad I saw this thread. I thought I was losing my mind!! I have the worst smells hitting me, I look like a lunatic sniffing around looking for the source. But I would smell these sewegy/dirty/moldy smells anywhere in the house so it wasn't a specific location. I also noticed I'm picky about taste. Things that are too sweet I just can't tolerate as well as too salty ( I would put salt on everything before) and I have to Water it down or just not touch it. I'm glad I'm not crazy!!

Yeah I have all these and add I think my armpits have a horrid BO, rather like onion, garlic and rotting veggies, like garabage that needs emptied. Keep scrubbing them, changing deodorants , maybe it is my fat going into ketosis, burning off, releasing hormones and gunk. I had a thick pad of fat, thought the moodiness was over, I m 6 weeks out today, had a major crying jag last night. What set it off? I saw the picture of "Jakesoldlady" going into surgery, all happy and triumphant. I realized my son took no pictures of me on THAT day and now I have no basis of comparison. Yeah I have lost weight, 40 pounds now, not that I didn't need to lose it, but the only pictures I have around then are ugly selfie types, like of my nose as I fell asleep, or drooling on my pillow. Not one that approached pretty, and for a Fat 72 year old I wasn't excessively ugly. But the time of joyess release from my fat caccoon, Gone Forever and never seen again. So I cried, raged against my son, would have walked out into the street, but with my luck the cars would graze me with their bumpers, can't even do THAT right. So I will continue to live and. hold to the motto SUCCESS IS THE BEST REVENGE! And that's how things are with me!