Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 8/27/2018 at 11:13 PM, 3nuthut said:

This is when it really hits home. You are going through food withdrawals. I just had a revision from band to sleeve and I’m 14 days post and feeling the same thing, just not as intense as the first time around. Just don’t push it, please. Let the internal incision heal. I also just had my 2 week dr visit today and 6 more days until mushy to semi solids. You can do this. You’ll make it through and look back and be glad you did. Protein helps keep you full. I hate shakes and put unflavored GENEPRO in my broth. It’s a little scoop that has 30 grams and it really keeps you from feeling hungry. I hope this helps!

I started adding GENEPRO to my yogurt (Oikos Triple Zero) and I love that you can't taste it at all!

On 8/28/2018 at 2:38 PM, shortmocha said:

I'm with you. I'm 2 months out and the last couple of weeks have been difficult. I was fine right after surgery. No problems with the purees and shakes and the weight was sliding right off. As I've started eating solids it's been a struggle. It's not so much that I want something I shouldn't have but even things that are on the list may or may not make my tummy happy. If I don't do tiny bites chewed very well I'm going to be in trouble. Lately I've gone back to more shakes cause it's quicker and easier. Even if I drink them too fast it's an issue.

Don't get me wrong... I'm totally excited about 40lbs in 2 months. I'm able to do more at the gym. People come up to me all the time and comment on my weight loss. I've been able to reduce the insulin I use by half. There are already plenty of positives. I just wish eating wasn't such a chore. That and trying to get down the stupid Vitamins frustrates me. It's still early in this journey and I'm hopeful that I'll settle in a little better in the coming weeks.

Hope you guys find a happy place on this journey too.

Congratulations on your 40lbs loss and reduction of your insulin!! I'm sorry you're having difficulty with solids; I haven't started solids yet but it must be difficult especially since we are so limited on what we can eat during the early stages of the surgery. I have read posts where it takes almost 6 months to eat solids comfortably. Your body might just need more time to process certain foods but I'm sure in a few months you'll be eating more. I keep reminding myself why I did this, and for me it was primarily for my health (diabetic and high cholesterol) and although I miss the freedom to eat whatever I want, I'm slowly coming to the terms that I chose this surgery for a reason and I just have to look at the positives as hard as that might be.

On 8/31/2018 at 9:53 AM, Matt Z said:

This is actually VERY common and is one of the things they watch for during the pre-op psych eval, because they know this happens. I went through it as well. Had some crazy moments where I was like.. WTF did I do.

Also, it is reversible. It doesn't happen often, and only under extreme cases, but it *CAN* be reversed since nothing was taken out, just split and reassembled.

Don't worry about it, seriously, don't worry about it. The "dangers" and statistics are skewed with old data from older versions of the surgery. The surgery has come a VERY long way since it started.

You'll get back to feeling better / normal as you heal and as things change. You'll be very happy in a few weeks, just wait it out and make sure you do your very best!

Thanks for your words or encouragement! I am trying to remain positive and hoping when I incorporate solids I'll feel better.

16 hours ago, T said:

Wow I’m 4 wks post n feeling the same way. Like what did I do but I know that these feelings will pass. food was a big party of my life n social life now I feel like I’m lost. I don’t even want to cook for my family for fear I’ll flip back into being a foodie. I eat at my desk at work n go straight to my room when I get home. I don’t interact w my young son or husband. Not sure what to do.

I haven't done much since my surgery and avoid social gatherings like BBQs because I'm still on the pureed stage. Eating out was a big part of my life but also one the main reasons I gained so much weight. I have a work potluck next week and plan on having a yogurt or Protein Shake. It's not ideal and it's going to be difficult but I know that eventually I'll be able to incorporate more foods and find healthier alternatives. I am also looking into local support groups for food addiction. Perhaps you can consider doing the same to help with some of the struggles you're having.

On 8/27/2018 at 10:13 PM, 3nuthut said:

This is when it really hits home. You are going through food withdrawals. I just had a revision from band to sleeve and I’m 14 days post and feeling the same thing, just not as intense as the first time around. Just don’t push it, please. Let the internal incision heal. I also just had my 2 week dr visit today and 6 more days until mushy to semi solids. You can do this. You’ll make it through and look back and be glad you did. Protein helps keep you full. I hate shakes and put unflavored GENEPRO in my broth. It’s a little scoop that has 30 grams and it really keeps you from feeling hungry. I hope this helps!

Can you taste the Protein power? I’m trying to find something I can mix with yogurt and a little fruit and not taste.

Thanks!

Yeah definitely regretting it. Had surgery on 8/28. Everything is hurting, I’m so nauseous and unable to drink much. I know this a process but now it seems like too much

This is a normal feeling! Most people have an emotional relationship with food. We eat when we’re sad, , when we’re bored, when we’re happy, when we’re celebrating with friends and spending time with family... and the surgery temporarily prohibits us from doing those things and from using food to cope.

It is a struggle! But it does get better... and if it doesn’t get better, there are therapists that can help you work through it.

I’m currently reading this book: The Emotional First Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery, Second Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054RXXS0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fp-IBb93VX555

I’ve found it to be helpful for me in dealing with some of the emotions that come post surgery.

On 09/02/2018 at 02:38, Auroragirl4489 said:

Yeah definitely regretting it. Had surgery on 8/28. Everything is hurting, I’m so nauseous and unable to drink much. I know this a process but now it seems like too much
It gets easier and better after day 5... hang in there

On 09/02/2018 at 07:35, BostonWLKC said:

It gets easier and better after day 5... hang in there
Thank you!

I had 3 days like this. Things will get better. You will find foods you like. You will have better days. I’m a year post op, and I’ve discovered veggie pastas, cauliflower crust pizza, and I now really like refried Beans with cheese. Before, I wouldn’t touch refried beans.

I had buyers remorse the first week as well.. the nurse case manager said it’s normal... you will get pass it as I did and I’m over 6 weeks out... we went thru a major surgery... hormonal changes... and have shocked our body.. it will get better... and every dr diet instructions are different.. I was eating yogurt before I left hospital and advanced to puréed at week 1... as directed by doctor and nutritionist... I hope it gets better for all

12 hours ago, MN_Meg770 said:

Can you taste the Protein power? I’m trying to find something I can mix with yogurt and a little fruit and not taste.

Thanks!

I like UNJURY unflavored Protein Powder the best. You can order little sample-sized packets to try it out before committing to a large container.

On 8/27/2018 at 3:06 PM, Meley24 said:

I regret undergoing a surgery that is irreversible and comes with so many complications. I’m sorry if I’m coming across as b****ing, I’m just wondering if this feeling is common after surgery.

Actually, gastric bypass CAN be reversed, just it usually isn't unless there's a medical reason for reversal.

Many people feel something between "what the heck did I just do?" and "why the heck did I do this?". It's a HUGE lifestyle change, and it takes time to adjust.

For me, being free of seven medications, a CPAP, and putting my diabetes in remission is totally worth it. Now I just have to make sure I have enough clothing layers to brave winter in Alaska!

On 09/02/2018 at 10:58, Auroragirl4489 said:

Thank you!
How are you feeling @auroragirl4489? Hopefully you turned a corner this week and will now be thrilled as you start the fun part of the journey!