Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am almost two weeks post op and regretting having bypass surgery. Fortunately, I haven’t had any complications thus far but I can’t help feeling like I made a mistake. I keep worrying about all the complications that can happen that I’m stressing myself out all the time. And, I no longer enjoy eating as it feels like a chore to chew 20 times and wait 60 seconds in between bites. I regret undergoing a surgery that is irreversible and comes with so many complications. I’m sorry if I’m coming across as b****ing, I’m just wondering if this feeling is common after surgery.

I am almost two weeks post op and regretting having bypass surgery. Fortunately, I haven’t had any complications thus far but I can’t help feeling like I made a mistake. I keep worrying about all the complications that can happen that I’m stressing myself out all the time. And, I no longer enjoy eating as it feels like a chore to chew 20 times and wait 60 seconds in between bites. I regret undergoing a surgery that is irreversible and comes with so many complications. I’m sorry if I’m coming across as b****ing, I’m just wondering if this feeling is common after surgery.
This is exactly how I feel.. i know persons can get depressed after surgery and I'm telling myself that this is also part of the process a s I'm just waiting for this feeling to pass.

Sent from my SM-G965F using BariatricPal mobile app

You are two weeks out. You shouldn’t be eating anything. You should be having liquids and Protein Shakes. You aren’t ready for food. It gets better. I’m 5 months out and I can now comfortably eat tiny amounts of food. I’ve lost 72 lbs. it’s tough at first but you’ll lose weight and be healthier and feel sooo much better! Hang in there! And stop eating! Drink drink and drink!

jacky

Wait until you start dropping weight! Then you’ll remember the reason you did this

3 hours ago, lilybilly said:

This is exactly how I feel.. i know persons can get depressed after surgery and I'm telling myself that this is also part of the process a s I'm just waiting for this feeling to pass.

Sent from my SM-G965F using BariatricPal mobile app

I’m sorry you are feeling the same too. It’s somewhat reassuring to know I’m not alone.

38 minutes ago, jacky0218 said:

You are two weeks out. You shouldn’t be eating anything. You should be having liquids and Protein Shakes. You aren’t ready for food. It gets better. I’m 5 months out and I can now comfortably eat tiny amounts of food. I’ve lost 72 lbs. it’s tough at first but you’ll lose weight and be healthier and feel sooo much better! Hang in there! And stop eating! Drink drink and drink!

jacky

I am on the puréed stage—no solids yet but I’ve been instructed by my nut to chew the puréed foods. I don’t really enjoy anything at this point. Hoping when I start having solid foods it’ll get better. Congrats on the weight loss and thanks for the encouragement!

Edited by Meley24

This is when it really hits home. You are going through food withdrawals. I just had a revision from band to sleeve and I’m 14 days post and feeling the same thing, just not as intense as the first time around. Just don’t push it, please. Let the internal incision heal. I also just had my 2 week dr visit today and 6 more days until mushy to semi solids. You can do this. You’ll make it through and look back and be glad you did. Protein helps keep you full. I hate shakes and put unflavored GENEPRO in my broth. It’s a little scoop that has 30 grams and it really keeps you from feeling hungry. I hope this helps!

@3nuthut wow you've lost a lot of weight fast. congrats!!!

I'm with you. I'm 2 months out and the last couple of weeks have been difficult. I was fine right after surgery. No problems with the purees and shakes and the weight was sliding right off. As I've started eating solids it's been a struggle. It's not so much that I want something I shouldn't have but even things that are on the list may or may not make my tummy happy. If I don't do tiny bites chewed very well I'm going to be in trouble. Lately I've gone back to more shakes cause it's quicker and easier. Even if I drink them too fast it's an issue.

Don't get me wrong... I'm totally excited about 40lbs in 2 months. I'm able to do more at the gym. People come up to me all the time and comment on my weight loss. I've been able to reduce the insulin I use by half. There are already plenty of positives. I just wish eating wasn't such a chore. That and trying to get down the stupid Vitamins frustrates me. It's still early in this journey and I'm hopeful that I'll settle in a little better in the coming weeks.

Hope you guys find a happy place on this journey too.

19 hours ago, Meley24 said:

The things that seem like a struggle now, will become less and less difficult. It will become normal, in fact. It seems like a major disappointment now, but I promise you that the scale and the NSVs will keep you motivated and grateful that you did this. With anything in life there are drawbacks. This has way more positives to regret.

On 8/27/2018 at 7:06 PM, Meley24 said:

This is actually VERY common and is one of the things they watch for during the pre-op psych eval, because they know this happens. I went through it as well. Had some crazy moments where I was like.. WTF did I do.

Also, it is reversible. It doesn't happen often, and only under extreme cases, but it *CAN* be reversed since nothing was taken out, just split and reassembled.

Don't worry about it, seriously, don't worry about it. The "dangers" and statistics are skewed with old data from older versions of the surgery. The surgery has come a VERY long way since it started.

You'll get back to feeling better / normal as you heal and as things change. You'll be very happy in a few weeks, just wait it out and make sure you do your very best!

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:06 PM, Meley24 said:

I felt this way too at two weeks out. But mine wasn't my tummy, I had a yeast rash all over my incisions and everything, it was pretty miserable. But at two months, I can tell you, I love it. I struggle still, I recently wrote about bingeing and my bypass so it's still a mental challenge. But it gets easier the further you go. Just keep sipping and walking.

Wow I’m 4 wks post n feeling the same way. Like what did I do but I know that these feelings will pass. food was a big party of my life n social life now I feel like I’m lost. I don’t even want to cook for my family for fear I’ll flip back into being a foodie. I eat at my desk at work n go straight to my room when I get home. I don’t interact w my young son or husband. Not sure what to do.

I felt the same way also. Remember the reasons for having the surgery in the first place. I've had all three surgeries meaning I've had the band, sleeve, and now gastric bypass. The healing process was easier but the food intake was still just as hard especially when you are cooking meals for the rest of the family that you know you may not be able to eat or have difficulty eating. I am three months post-op gastric bypass and I find that the only time I want or crave food is when someone around me is eating something I enjoyed eating prior to the surgery. Sometimes just a tiny bite is enough to satisfy the craving. When I go out to eat with co-workers, I tend to order something small or Soup and when they ask if that's all I'm having I usually say I'm not that hungry, which is true. When I go out to eat with my family, I eat off my family member's plate because they know a few bites will fill me up. Try not to focus on the foods you used to enjoy and focus on the healthier you. Don't view eating as a chore, eat when your hungry which after awhile becomes less often when you focus on other things besides food. I also try not do get on the scale very often. The loose fitting clothing and the increased amount of energy is what keeps me going. For me, weighing myself every so often and seeing a higher number of pounds lost than a pound every few days is much more encouraging and rewarding. Every one is different and eventually you will find what works best for you.

Edited by jmart_RN

On 08/31/2018 at 18:37, T said:

Wow I’m 4 wks post n feeling the same way. Like what did I do but I know that these feelings will pass. food was a big party of my life n social life now I feel like I’m lost. I don’t even want to cook for my family for fear I’ll flip back into being a foodie. I eat at my desk at work n go straight to my room when I get home. I don’t interact w my young son or husband. Not sure what to do.
I’m sorry you’re going through that- please reach out to counseling. What you’re experiencing with removing yourself from family etc doesn’t sound healthy or typical

Best to you