Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone tried any types of bread??

Hello! I am a little over 4 weeks post op and just started on purees. I know I'm not ready for bread right now but I'm wondering if one day I'll be able to have any. Does anyone have suggestions on brands/ types of bread?? Also, has anyone been able to eat a sandwich post op? Again, I know it's too early for that just wondering if its a possibility to still be able to eat a sandwich in general...Thanks!!!

16 minutes ago, likehasjustbegun said:

Hello! I am a little over 4 weeks post op and just started on purees. I know I'm not ready for bread right now but I'm wondering if one day I'll be able to have any. Does anyone have suggestions on brands/ types of bread? ? Also, has anyone been able to eat a sandwich post op? Again, I know it's too early for that just wondering if its a possibility to still be able to eat a sandwich in general...Thanks!!!

When on your plan are you allowed to venture towards breads again? What types of modifications does your plan suggest for common foods?

My plan said although not recommended bread starting at 6-8 months post op. Suggestions for modifications were low carb, fat, calorie varieties. Talk to your NUT, they may ask you to stay away from white varieties or whole grains, but they would have some specific reasoning behind the recommendation.

I'm 9 months post op, I don't eat bread. I use lettuce as bread lol.

My plan actually doesn’t say anything about bread. I haven’t spoke to my NUT about it yet because I figured I’m not ready for it anyway but i have a follow up appt in 2 weeks so I’ll mention it.
The lettuce as bread is a great idea!

3 minutes ago, likehasjustbegun said:

My plan actually doesn’t say anything about bread. I haven’t spoke to my NUT about it yet because I figured I’m not ready for it anyway but i have a follow up appt in 2 weeks so I’ll mention it.
The lettuce as bread is a great idea!

Maybe they are waiting to discuss it when you move towards your real foods stage, perhaps they don't want to overwhelm you.

Somewhere probably in the second month I tried a sliver (about 10 g) of some bread that my wife made and it was ok, but it was nothing that I had regularly at that time; our program had a fairly rapid progression allowing most anything liquid or soft for the first month and then anything else after that. Sort of related, we did use saltine crackers occasionally early on to soak up excess acid in a queasy stomach (they're basically liquid by the time they hit your stomach) but they were for that specific purpose as they don't have much nutritional value.

At around four months I added it more regularly as part of a small sandwich to specifically add some complex carbohydrate into some pre-workout Snacks and that worked very well, adding endurance so that I could swim well past an hour. I typically used a normal whole wheat or multigrain bread, not any of the low carb frankenfood breads.

Bread is a take ir or leave it thing for me - I don't crave it or avoid it. These days I typically make a couple of small sandwiches for road food when I travel with the dogs a couple times a month - much easier to have on the way or stop at a rest stop with them than to try to work through a restaurant stop with them, particularly in the summer.

Once I was cleared for the "Try it and see" portion of my nutritional process, I've stayed away from typical white and wheat breads, opting for the super high grain count options, sucks it's more expensive, but I've had no issues from eating the good stuff. I use wraps more than bread now, specifically the Fiber one, 80 calorie vegetable wraps.

8 hours ago, RickM said:

low carb frankenfood breads

I guess you don't suggest cloud bread or zucchini breads. I have recipes for them and other types. Plan on trying them but have not yet. I did make a "pizza crust" recipe with chicken and parm cheese. It was good but dry. Dogs loved it though. I doubt any of these "frankenfoods" breads can take the place of "normal" bread but nothing about this new life is normal. Who knows I may find something I really enjoy that's a healthy alternative.....

30 minutes ago, J San said:

I guess you don't suggest cloud bread or zucchini breads. I have recipes for them and other types. Plan on trying them but have not yet. I did make a "pizza crust" recipe with chicken and parm cheese. It was good but dry. Dogs loved it though. I doubt any of these "frankenfoods" breads can take the place of "normal" bread but nothing about this new life is normal. Who knows I may find something I really enjoy that's a healthy alternative.....

Try them and if you like them and they fit your plan shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks...except your NUT

Edited by GreenTealael

Even at 10 months out, I eat one piece of rye toast w avocado with my egg for Breakfast. It has to be toasted. bread just balls up to gunk in my sleeve if not toasted and feels really uncomfortable to me, wraps don't work either. I eat a corn shell taco, a few triscuits here and there, and one square of thin crispy pizza. That is it for bread products. I don't eat Pasta, have had a tablespoon of rice. Rice is tricky, it actually expands more as it gets wet. I really don't miss sandwiches per se, at first it felt weird but is just routine now. For road food, I carry P3 meat n cheese packs, cold cooked chicken thighs, pea pods, hard boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes. I really don't tolerate lettuce very well either, slimey and wants to come back up no matter how well I chew it - that I do miss. I use thin bell pepper strips in my taco instead. I don't think I am suffering much while I wear size 10 jeans, and looking forward to size 8, then 6......lol

I have not tried regular bread. I have eaten small amounts of crackers and flatbread or wraps.

Honestly when you can’t eat a lot there are more nutrient dense foods for the calories you can be eating.

Thanx @GreenTealael , I do intend to try them eventually. I'm just not at the point where I can eat much without feeling stuffed so right now I try only to eat Protein rich solids. I guess I can add flavorless protein into the recipe but I'm still going to wait a bit.

I have tried low carb wraps. I cut them into fourths and use them around turkey dogs or a mini pizza. But I am 3 months post op and have only used them maybe 3 times. Now I have used wonton wrappers for wonton cups. I can only eat 1 at a time of that and don’t eat them back to back.

But no sliced bread...haven’t had a need for it.

I'm a big believer in balance, and not having any "forbidden" foods.

I've had bread many times in the last 6 months post op. I've made sandwich with whole wheat bread. I've had pita bread at middle eastern restaurants. I've eaten from the bread basket. I've eaten a sandwich from a sandwich shop. I've eaten pizza. I've eaten flat bread. I've had a burger on a bun. I've had brushcetta.

But it has all been in small quantities. I have a lot of restriction, so even if I fill up from a sandwich it is less than 2 oz total.

It may not work for everyone, but it has worked for me. I've lost weight at a pace I'm happy with. I have an Iron stomach, so nothing bothers it.

bread bothers me unless it’s been toasted. I tolerate whole grain better than any other kinds. I do eat flatbread more often. But I do try and not make it a staple in my diet because it is very filling and I know I’m not leaving room for what I should be eating.