Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What fears did you have, before you had surgery, about why would happen after surgery?

On Sep 4 ‘18 I am having my RYGB surgery. During the whole 6 month diet I had no worries about what would happen to my body after surgery but the closer my date gets the more I’m becoming concerned. I am terrified of having loose skin after surgery. I know that exercise helps but once that skin has been stretched out so much there’s a point of no return right??
Also, I’ve heard a lot of people get sick after surgery. As in they are throwing up after every meal they eat. A friend of mine threw up all the time for months after her GB. I sort of have a phobia about throwing up, and I know that this doesn’t happen to everyone, but how many of you experienced this?
If there’s any advice from those of you who have already gone through this, I am all ears.

Thank you in advance!

The reality is that you won't know how your specific body reacts to the surgery until you have it. I thought I'd never be able to eat anything fun again. Every meal before my pre op diet felt like a funeral for a dear friend. Nonsense. You'll totally be able to eat stuff again one day, and in moderation and with real enjoyment as opposed to binge habits.

But here's the reality. This procedure has been around for decades. It's hardly experimental anymore. Most people have little to no complications outside of the known side effects of the surgery. If you stick to the plan you're given, you're likely to skate by with flying colors.

Remember that most people who have easy or routine experiences with the surgery don't go online to start threads about "Everything's normal!" You are, by a huge margin, statistically likely to fall into the everything's normal group.

And if, god forbid, there are complications, you're in a country with the highest order of medical response. My money says you're going to do great.

Think positively and focus on eating and exercising according to plan to give your body and your surgeon the highest possible chance for success. YOU. CAN. DO IT!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

You and @ Kat0000 have your surgeries on September 14th, @ TaylorMade4one and @ Shane have theirs on September 13th. That's Surgery Quads over 2 days. I think that is very cool.

On 08/06/2018 at 16:24, Frustr8 said:

You and @ Kat0000 have your surgeries on September 14th, @ TaylorMade4one and @ Shane have theirs on September 13th. That's Surgery Quads over 2 days. I think that is very cool.
Mine is the day before yours. Yours is on the 5th right? Along with about 3 or 4 other people lol.

On 08/06/2018 at 15:06, nevertoolate said:

The reality is that you won't know how your specific body reacts to the surgery until you have it. I thought I'd never be able to eat anything fun again. Every meal before my pre op diet felt like a funeral for a dear friend. Nonsense. You'll totally be able to eat stuff again one day, and in moderation and with real enjoyment as opposed to binge habits.

But here's the reality. This procedure has been around for decades. It's hardly experimental anymore. Most people have little to no complications outside of the known side effects of the surgery. If you stick to the plan you're given, you're likely to skate by with flying colors.

Remember that most people who have easy or routine experiences with the surgery don't go online to start threads about "Everything's normal!" You are, by a huge margin, statistically likely to fall into the everything's normal group.

And if, god forbid, there are complications, you're in a country with the highest order of medical response. My money says you're going to do great.

Think positively and focus on eating and exercising according to plan to give your body and your surgeon the highest possible chance for success. YOU. CAN. DO IT!

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

You are absolutely right. I’m just stressing myself out over wondering how my body will be after surgery but, like you said, I won’t know until after I have the surgery. I’m not so much worried about complications during surgery, at least for now. My health is optimal other than my weight, so I’m sure things will go smoothly.
Thank you for your comment, it really helped me to not worry over things that I most likely wont encounter. If I do, I’ll just have to deal with it when the time comes 😊.

And you are now a part of our his worldwide family, any worries concern or a need to vent, come here. Any little blip you have, someone's already had it, won victory over it and can give you a lot of practical advice.So give us a try.
I wonder,myself how my body will react, no matter how much study you've done , it is a Strange New World, you might think you have a roadmap, but what if there are charted roads that weren't there at last printing? Nothing to DO but DO IT, and pray that things go well, and if yours goes hood, I'll be the next day. We can do THIS together!😝👣😝

On 08/06/2018 at 16:55, Frustr8 said:

And you are now a part of our his worldwide family, any worries concern or a need to vent, come here. Any little blip you have, someone's already had it, won victory over it and can give you a lot of practical advice.So give us a try.

I wonder,myself how my body will react, no matter how much study you've done , it is a Strange New World, you might think you have a roadmap, but what if there are charted roads that weren't there at last printing? Nothing to DO but DO IT, and pray that things go well, and if yours goes hood, I'll be the next day. We can do THIS together!😝👣😝
I’ll post a complaint of my pain when I wake up from surgery so you know what to expect 😂😂

Sounds a Super Good Idea!