Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op and my NUT transitioned me to pureed and soft foods today. Any suggestions for your favorites? She suggested baby food, anyone try any, are they any good? Any suggestions would be helpful, thank you!!

I haven't had my surgery yet but have tried baby food, it's a little bland so my may have to season it just a little but thought that was a good idea too.

Baby foods were not allowed by my program and are really bland but it is easy to puree anything in the food processor. I did baked chicken breast, baked salmon, baked cod, black Beans, cauliflower, green beans and canned tuna. Everything was good except the tuna and the green beans which were just okay. I did buy some little applesauce cups (natural, no sugar) but other than that made it all myself.

The key with the meats is to bake them in liquid (broth) and then add things like greek yogurt, light butter, ranch dressing and broth to make the consistency smooth and not too dry. I used a lot of Montreal Steak and Montreal Chicken Seasonings because I really like them on just about anything. Since you are only eating very small amounts (1-2 tablespoons for me) I only had to cook and puree stuff about once a week (my puree stage was 4 weeks).

I like baby rice Cereal everyone says ew. Not the premade in jar but the flakes u mix w Water or no fat milk. Ppl think I'm strange lol. I've done canned chicken salad in water..... mixed with heart healthy mayo. 90% lean ground beef cooked in beef broth then added sloppy joe mix which only has 35 cal per serving. Scrambled eggs with salsa. All were tolerated and instead of purée I was instructed to chew the hell out of things which I do.... mind you, can only eat about 3 small spoonfuls and I'm full. Going to have Soup for dinner :). No sugar pudding is glorious as a snack. Someone on another thread mentioned egg salad.... obviously with the light mayo.... must try!!! Stage 4 in 5 more days yayyyy

I simmered chicken in Bone Broth with carrots, onions and seasonings. Shredded the chicken and blended the liquid and veg. It made a whole bunch and I've hardly eaten any of it. Also made SF Jello pudding and added Protein Powder. FF refried Beans taste better than you'd think. eggs work also.

Baby food from the store has so few nutrients. You’re really better off puréeing your own food. It has so much more flavor. It’s much better for you, as well. I purchased a baby food steamer/puréer and only wound up using it for one week. (I had to travel immediately so I made myself chew chicken, etc., to purée consistency and never went backward from there!). If your budget a;lows for a purchase like that, it’s worth it! If it doesn’t...I bought mine used...you can feed small chunks of steamed food into an inexpensive small food processor.

I pureed vegetable Soup with chicken or ground beef. I also added chipotle tabasco to liven up the flavor.

Thank you for those suggestions, super helpful! How did your stomach do with spices and spicer foods? I'm nervous to try but before surgery I loved anything spicy!

On 08/03/2018 at 15:28, Rileyjay1821 said:

Thank you for those suggestions, super helpful! How did your stomach do with spices and spicer foods? I'm nervous to try but before surgery I loved anything spicy!
I’m not a super spicy eater, maybe a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10, but I try everything. I’m not yet at 3 months out and I’ve had some pretty darn spicy stuff already with no trouble.
I test it like I do every new food (I’m still introducing my stomach to everything).
I take a couple small bites, chew to purée and them give it a couple hours to see how it handles it. If I’m good, I know this is something I could probably have among company or out with friends, no problem.
I’ve not had trouble with a single thing yet except dairy products and I had a little trouble before surgery...it’s just worse now.
But wasabi, chili peppers...no reaction.

My doctor requires the puree to be very thin and no lumps. He says it should fall through a fork if you tried to use it to eat. I have been looking for ideas but it seems like everyone can have it thicker. And I am very limited to what kind of foods I can have. Defiantly cant have Tabasco. Does anyone else have these requirements and if so what did you eat. Because I have been trying but puree chicken then thin enough to fall threw a fork is just liquid chicken and its pretty gross.

My doctor requires the puree to be very thin and no lumps. He says it should fall through a fork if you tried to use it to eat. I have been looking for ideas but it seems like everyone can have it thicker. And I am very limited to what kind of foods I can have. Defiantly cant have Tabasco. Does anyone else have these requirements and if so what did you eat. Because I have been trying but puree chicken then thin enough to fall threw a fork is just liquid chicken and its pretty gross.
My puree you can have tuna, chicken, egg and even shrimp salad made with light mayo. Refried Beans and can not wait to try the bake ricotta. I am so over the liquid phase today has been a day I miss food.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I also just started the puréed phase, so far I've had SF applesauce, yogurt, cream of wheat, and an egg. I am also looking for ideas! I first had applesauce and my stomach gurgled and I could feel it churning! It was so weird, I'm not hungry so I don't even know when to eat and how often. I have noticed today that my stomach has a tiny bit of pain after eating, maybe I'm eating it to fast? Or is my stomach just trying to figure things out?

On 08/04/2018 at 18:11, Letgo said:

I had same requirements. I used chicken broth instead of Water to thin it while puréeing or added flavor. Threw in some Tuscan spices.
I also puréed tuna with a bit of mayo for flavor and tuna water. Little garlic Mts. Dash makes everything yummy.

Here are some images from my bariatric binder that I was issued by my surgical team, mostly pertaining to Step 2: Pureed/Full Liquid post-op diet.

Step-2-foods-1.jpg

Step-2-foods-2.jpg

sample-meal-plans-1-(pureed).jpg

sample-meal-plans-2(pureed).jpg

grocery-list-(pureed).jpg

high-protein-foods.jpg

protein-req'm.jpg

Edited by macadamia
fixed the images...