Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 days Post-Op Gastric Bypass

So, had my GP on the 17th, surgery went fine, but complications afterward (while in the hospital) made it very hard for me and they kept me a bit longer than expected. I had projectile vomiting and uncontrollable dry-heaving. Luckily it didn't last beyond a day. I haven't used any pain killers since being home but have been struggling with one thing - this god-awful Multi-Vitamin. The first liquid bottle we got literally looked, smelled, and tasted like horse diarrhea (don't ask me how I know that) and I couldn't stomach it. We took it back and got a powder version with a hint of lemon which took the edge off but I am still gagging with it, which makes my stomach hurt. Not sure how to move forward with this one thing. Does anyone have experience with the multi-vitamin Patches? My dietitian said they don't work good but I am at my wits end at this point. The rest of the things seem to be going ok, a couple shots in the belly a day of things to prevent gallstones, ulcers, my mutant powers from kicking in, etc. I'm no stranger to multiple medications for seemingly my whole life. Had horrible diarrhea yesterday and was more concerned with making sure I drank plenty of H20. Anyone have advice on something else I could use for a multi-vitamin? I have been pushing the other stuff but my stomach starts rejecting it as soon as it goes past my tongue. I actually haven't had any in the last day. Any insight, advice, experiences, substitutes, etc., would be most greatly appreciated. I'm not hungry, just sore. Not miserable either.

Edited by Frostie1975

My Bariatric program has me on prenatal over the counter Vitamins, I got mine at Walmart, pills aren't very big, might be a possibility.

I started using the vitamin patches from PatchMD for this same reason. I was Grinding my pills & taking them with applesauce. I just Couldn’t do it anymore so I just started taking them.

So, had my GP on the 17th, surgery went fine, but complications afterward (while in the hospital) made it very hard for me and they kept me a bit longer than expected. I had projectile vomiting and uncontrollable dry-heaving. Luckily it didn't last beyond a day. I haven't used any pain killers since being home but have been struggling with one thing - this god-awful Multi-Vitamin. The first liquid bottle we got literally looked, smelled, and tasted like horse diarrhea (don't ask me how I know that) and I couldn't stomach it. We took it back and got a powder version with a hint of lemon which took the edge off but I am still gagging with it, which makes my stomach hurt. Not sure how to move forward with this one thing. Does anyone have experience with the Multi-Vitamin Patches? My dietitian said they don't work good but I am at my wits end at this point. The rest of the things seem to be going ok, a couple shots in the belly a day of things to prevent gallstones, ulcers, my mutant powers from kicking in, etc. I'm no stranger to multiple medications for seemingly my whole life. Had horrible diarrhea yesterday and was more concerned with making sure I drank plenty of H20. Anyone have advice on something else I could use for a multi-vitamin? I have been pushing the other stuff but my stomach starts rejecting it as soon as it goes past my tongue. I actually haven't had any in the last day. Any insight, advice, experiences, substitutes, etc., would be most greatly appreciated. I'm not hungry, just sore. Not miserable either.
I have a Tespo machine that uses powdered bariatric Vitamins and makes it into a small "shot" to drink. Maybe that would help you. You actually dont need the machine. And can mix your own.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I crushed mine and mixed them into a shake or warm broth. Still nasty but a bit less gross 😊

Toodlerue, do the Patches work good? My dietitian says they don't work but I'm pretty desperate. Has your labs been good for not being Vitamin deficient?

You should keep in mind deficiencies from Patches can take years to show up. There are reasons most bariatric programs do not support the use of them.

In the meantime, can you try something like Centrum adult chewables? Even flintstones chewables would be preferable over nothing. You may find as your bypass matures a bit you will become more tolerant to these items. In the interim you could use a chewable you tolerate.

Prenatal, swallowable Vitamins are not recommended post bypass. The item should be liquid or chewable, and capsule form when your program allows in most circumstances.