Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How have your smells and tastes changed?

I thought this would be fun because I was so skeptical about this when I heard it would happen, yet almost immediately I am noticing things.

Prior to surgery I was addicted to Vitamin Water Zero Rise. Sweetened with Truvia and tasted great. I spent around $200 a month on it because I hate drink mixes and don't like the taste of plain water. That was then. Now, although I still drink it, and it is better than water, it still tastes lousy. It has a terrible initial taste, and a terrible after taste. Very chemical smelling even though it's not sweetened with synthetic sugar.

In the past, I really didn't like crystal light. In the hospital, they gave me (pre-bottled) crystal light lemonaide, and it had a very strong acidic bite to it. Much more than I remember. I would say I like it more than the Vitamin water though, so I'm having family go get me some.

I noticed that I don't smell things "correct" anymore. I went to In-n-out today with a family member (No, I didn't even think about eating) and all I could smell was sour cleaning chemicals. I couldn't smell the hamburgers, or the onions like I normally did.

My family were reheating some steak and other foods and I told them that it smelled like toast. :)

What about you? Does apple juice smell like paint thinner and eggs smell like turkey? :):)

I have a stronger sense of smell when things are about to spoil or are spoiled, I can only drink fancy high grade Water and I can only eat boiled eggs other than that I think everything is the same

Fun thread

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 169

7 months post surgery, my taste and smell is still shifted. I generally cut out ‘sweets’ from my diet - not all carbs like Beans but I cut out sugar, cakes, crisps, potato, Pasta, rice and artificial sweetener (Coke Zero etc). Now this sweet food, even just a bite, makes me a little grossed out!

But lettuce! Oh my, food of the gods! I crave it some days. Oranges! Pickles! Peanut Butter - I used to hate it. So yep - the new taste for lettuce, peanut butter and pickles emerged post surgery and the unpleasantness of sweetness is developing as my tolerance is lowered by not being exposed to it.

eggs - now really cannot stomach the fart smell/taste!

Wow have my taste buds have changed! I no longer like a lot of foods that I used to really gobble up. For example, I cannot stand french fries or pizza. I never thought I would see the day when pizza would just be plain disgusting. I might also add that I still don't really feel hunger. I am hoping to continue to make some progress and move forward.

I am a little over 2 months post op and a bit of everything triggers me in terms of smell/nausea. I can eat chicken and cook it but some days I wan to vomit when I smell it. Seeing bread bun or burger Buns make me feel gross. The smell of chipotle is just sickening; when pre-op I would have it twice a week.

And it could vary from day to day

Hmmn ,I wonder what of my smells and tastes I like now I won't anymore? Stay tuned folks, I'll let you know in September, I promise. 😛🍝😛

I'm still on the Quest for something that tastes decent for a liquid.

• Premier Protein drinks have a terrible ending taste, almost like a medicine (Before I begin to taste the whea)
  • Crystal light in the powder form has a nasty ending taste
  • minute made canned lemonaide (5 calorie version) tastes like the metal cans it comes in.
  • Propel flavored water just tastes disgusting all the way around.
  • I tried Powerade zero orange, and oh man does it taste like medicine!
  • I have yet to try hawaiian punch light fruit punch...I liked it in the past.
  • Frozen sugar free popsickles taste really good to me
  • chicken broth still tastes good...One day that's all I drank (Other than the Protein drinks)
  • This will date me, but I was looking forward to trying zero calorie tang, but I looked it up and they stopped making it a long time ago.
  • I have not tried any of the kool-aid sugar free products...yet
  • I have not tried any of the liquid sweetened products (mia, etc). I like the idea of a liquid sweetener, but portion size is hard to control unless you want to count the number of drops.

I can't eat it yet, but toast smells awesome. I used to eat toast maybe 5 times a year. I know I will have to toast well, and use a whole grain bread...And even then might not tolerate it, so who knows. Next Wed I go for my 2 week post-op, I can't wait to graduate to the pureed stuff.

I noticed that after my surgery, certain foods like pork and beef don't taste good or at least the same. Non sweet juices and flavored water is all I can drink because other things like Powerade zero taste like hell and the propell Water just taste bad.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using BariatricPal mobile app

Tealael, thank you and before surgery (Well, when I had the lap band) I was addicted to it. Actually, it was pretty much the only thing I would drink. Even my co-workers knew to expect me to show up with Vitamin Water Zero "Squeezed" (All the sudden one day I hated "rise" and had to switch)

It is still what I'm drinking, but it doesn't taste very good :(

Tealael, thank you and before surgery (Well, when I had the lap band) I was addicted to it. Actually, it was pretty much the only thing I would drink. Even my co-workers knew to expect me to show up with Vitamin Water Zero "Squeezed" (All the sudden one day I hated "rise" and had to switch)
It is still what I'm drinking, but it doesn't taste very good [emoji20]

Try watering down Powerade zero (purple and blue) and Vitamin Water zero xxx

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 167

That is a great idea! I haven't thought about trying to Water the drinks down (Nor those flavors). I'm drinking the light Hawaiian punch right now, but it isn't great by any means.

I can smell so much more clearly, and the taste of fats, salt, and especially sugar has intensified dramatically.

Edited by aoGabby