Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How have your smells and tastes changed?

Everything has too much flavor! 😀 Especially beverages...I Water down everything.

Most definitely you experience changes. Over a year out almost year and half and something's I used to love cannot tolerate, not just the smell of, but the sight of as well. I still cannot watch a greasy loaded hamburger on a commercial without it rolling my stomach. Was at a retreat with my family and they were talking about wonderful foods they had eaten at other places and finally I had to ask them to change the subject or I would eventually vomit. This may seem like an exaggeration but I promise you it can and sometimes does happen. Who does not love the smell of a good barbeque right? I loved it, but should have followed my stomach and nose, as I went to get some although it looked as if it would be something I loved, I got that little stomach signal that said maybe not a good idea and it simply did not smell the same. I told myself I was being silly. Three bites in, sick as a dog, 5 minutes out, over the toilet. My husband could not believe it, and said it was wonderful tasting and I told him please stop talking about it.

I had an issue with any greasy food including fries and pizza but over time they have subsided some where the site and smell of them does not make me sick.

I heard that about greasy foods. I (used to, now?) love BBQ/smoked food. Smoked Brisket was my downfall in general but it is incredibly fatty. Smoked Tri-tip was my "healthy" go-to. I've had what I think is the full gamut, the california emulation of the south, real kansas city BBQ, real Texas BBQ, and carolina style (In virginia though). I've had it in other places as well, but they were just emulations.

I'm hopeful that I can throw a chicken breast in the crock pot and add some liquid smoke to the broth and that it will satisfy the BBQ urges.

So far the Unjury chicken broth is working great and I've migrated to the Premier Protein clear drinks.

Hi Cyclical,

I used to drink the Premier Protein as well but as a bypass patient and not a sleeve my surgeon did some extensive research and found that Premier Protein Shakes are virtually useless to us. Why? The Protein in Premier shakes is slow releasing. This is the type if shake body builders will use so that there workouts are more effective the next day.

Premier solutions uses for protein first Milk Protein, "Calcium Caseinate,< another name for Milk Protein" Whey Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein Isolate. The reason we need whey Protein Isolate and Whey Protein is because it is fast absorbing whereas Milk Protein and others are slow released although Whey Protein exists the body faster we get the benefit of it as we absorb it quickly. Remember Milk Protein is slowly absorbed and we do not get that luxury as we go stomach small intestine out. Therefore we are not absorbing the 30 grams of protein that we should get from these shakes. I have to admit before my surgeon said stop taking them, banana was one of my favorites.

Long story short they want kill you but if you are counting them towards your daily protein and thinking you are getting the 30 grams you are not as the benefit starts absorbing to late and it is expelled before you can get the full benefit of the product.

Please see the difference below:

Capture.PNG2.thumb.PNG.55b1dcaf2c6f997c8c2f0a1035098fd1.PNG

Capture.PNG

Wow thank you Ronnysgal - Not a lot to argue about that, if it isn't absorbed fast, then the money (and nutrients) are literally going down the toilet. I noticed a number of the recipes provided by the program's nutritianist supplied us with a lot of recipes and they did call for unflavored whea Protein isolates.

The good news is that the Premier Protein clear drinks have only whea protein isolates.

You are so welcome. And exactly, it makes me wonder why they don't do the shakes the same way, as they would be perfect if they did. I love the way they taste. Some say they taste an aftertaste, but back to the smell and such, they never tasted that way to me. I even tried freezing the chocolate flavor one time to use as a snack like ice cream, but my journey has been a difficult one and I found out the Protein issue and well that was that.