Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I choose not to tell any of my friends or family members only my boyfriend and co workers...the only reason why I told my co workers because there opinions are irrelevant and I only have to deal with them 8 hours a day..a week before my surgery I was sent to work from home so now I just need to recover and move on

Good Luck 👍🍀

Hmmm. ?? I have told everybody once I was approved. Did not want to tell before cause if the surgery got denied it would have been awkward.
NOT ONE HAD A BAD REACTION. And I posted it on my Facebook too.
Option 1: I have very good friends
Option 2: none of my friends cared
Option 3: I was/am so fat that nobody even thinks I could do it any other way
Option 4: they all fear my wrath.

4 can’ t be cause I am really nice.
There was one negative person. My brother but we hate our guts for 40 years so that does not count.

But I am prepared if I encounter this. I will eventually because I will tell everybody.
I have the right answers and a link to a NYT article ready to send.

Don’t reject people because they are ignorant and don’t know better. Educate them. I don’t want to loose friends cause they don’t agree with me.
I had the same thoughts years ago when I still thought I could loose weight through diet. Now after intense research preop and continuing I am prepared to counter any stupid thing with knowledge.

But I have a very strong emotional Wall I built around me due to the fact that growing up in Germany in the 70s, nobody around me was overweight and people stared. So I just stopped caring.

Eberhard - good for you!

I have told most people too and don't mind shining the light of education into the darkness of ignorance, BUT there is so much ignorance it can get exhausting after a while. 😩

Why something that is of benefit to YOU be so put down, sneered at, and told partakers are LAZY , this is something I fail to understand!

I have told a pretty good number of people. I would have to say that the reception that I have received has been mainly positive (though I'm not sure what is said when I am out of ear shot.)

My husband was initially hesitant about me having the surgery. He felt that it was a drastic solution to a problem that I had been fixing previously (I lost 90lbs on keto.) But he was heavy himself. However, after he lost weight through a diagnosis of a medical condition he has - it kind of put things into perspective for him, I guess? I also researched the topic heavily and brought the information to him. I explained to him that I had a combination of factors against me and though I could lose weight on Keto, it was not sustainable as a long-term solution for me. I also told him that there were scientific studies that advised that the body is so resistant to diets, that they almost always fail to maintain a long term loss (like Weight Watchers.) I explained to him that like his weight affecting his joints (he had a bad back and knees), my weight was affecting me in ways that were starting to become difficult to deal with. Now, my husband has stated that he'd love me regardless of the weight I'm at, but he wants me to be happy and healthy. He's been on board for awhile now and even went to a support group meeting with me.

My brothers, who I'm close to, have been incredibly supportive as well. My mom? Not so much. But like someone mentioned previously in this chat - people are resistant to change.

The only thing is that I wish people would ask me MORE questions about the surgery. I don't mind telling people that I am having the surgery, but I would like a chance to explain to them why it is a solution for me. I am also a huge medical geek and love explaining medical procedures. Thankfully, I've had a lot of support.