Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Again ... are people saying Keto, when they mean low carb?

@FluffyChix

You've generously posted lots of info about your diet on here, pics, recipes, the number of calories you eat. It doesn't look like keto to me.

By what you just wrote:

60 g Protein = 240 calories

25 g carbs = 100 calories

60% of cals fom fat = 850 calories

Total = 1190 calories

The math doesn't add up to me, since you've said you keep your calories lower than that?

1 minute ago, Creekimp13 said:

(particularly the Mighty Muffins...God, they were good!..LOL)

Can you believe that I found 3 of the flavors at Walmart, and I bought them... and *still* haven't tried them. Its been almost 2 weeks of them being in my pantry. But for some reason, I feel guilty about eating them. I know it is irrational, but it reminds me of those microwavable cake Desserts. Ugh, my brain!

Hey, Ash....I know someone you could send them to...

LOLOLOLOL

If you do try them? Remember to add a little splenda...they're kinda bland without it.

And when you zap them, make sure to watch...they'll puff up over the cup and make a hell of a mess. If they get too big, just stop the microwave for half a minute and finish after they go down a little.

1 minute ago, Creekimp13 said:

Hey, Ash....I know someone you could send them to...

LOLOLOLOL

If you do try them? Remember to add a little splenda...they're kinda bland without it.

And when you zap them, make sure to watch...they'll puff up over the cup and make a hell of a mess. If they get too big, just stop the microwave for half a minute and finish after they go down a little.

thanks for the tips! I'm going to get over my guilt one day... and probably get hooked.

You might be smarter to run while you can. The chocolate tart cherry one...OMG... :D

2 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

Again ... are people saying Keto, when they mean low carb?

@FluffyChix

You've generously posted lots of info about your diet on here, pics, recipes, the number of calories you eat. It doesn't look like keto to me.

By what you just wrote:

60 g Protein = 240 calories

25 g carbs = 100 calories

60% of cals fom fat = 850 calories

Total = 1190 calories

The math doesn't add up to me, since you've said you keep your calories lower than that?

That was an ave day for me for 18 years as low carb. I did dr Atkins '72 diet, the original keto diet. People call keto today is super aggressive with fat at75% or higher.

people use keto and low carb interchangeably. I believe if u are under about 40-50g of daily carbs u r in ketosis. Some can be closer to 70 and still letogenic. You can also be super low calorie and be ketogenic.

i presently ave between 650-850 Cala on most days. I eat from 60-70g protein; roughly 25-30g net carbs;and around 30g of fat per day. I am ketogenic not only due to carb and Protein suppression but also due to low calories.

So I've done that math of what true Keto macros look like calorie wise, assuming 60 g of Protein

Protein 25% - 60g - 240 calories

Carbs 5% - 12g - 48 calories

Fat 70% - 75g - 672 calories

Total 960 calories

Total consumed by weight 147 g = 5.2 oz

I totally fail to understand how this is a sound diet for a WLS patient. That is an incredible low amount of carbs, my Calcium supplements almost total that alone, one would basically need to eliminate dairy. That is a lot of fat to consume (1/3 cup of oil). All the while only being just over 5 oz of food.

I'm leaving at the end of the month (not news, and has nothing to do with anyone here)...so there's really no issue.
I hope Fluff stays. She's entertaining and fits in very well here!
Myself...not so much. And it's cool:) It was a fun ride, but at some point we all get what we need out of Bariatricpal (particularly the Mighty Muffins...God, they were good!..LOL).....and it's time to move on:)
Ash, you're a peacekeeper...and I love that about you. Tealeal, you're a justice and truth seeker, and I love that, too.
Fluff, you just want to get to your damned goal once and for all...and I respect that.
Good luck to everyone.
When you leave it will be a disservice to the newbies that have no clue about the possibility of following the mayo clinic diet, the stats on VSG outcomes, etc. that you are so passionate about. I challenge you about fitting in. Now its about giving back the support to others... You are leaving a void. As all VETS do when they just leave

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 167

9 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

That was an ave day for me for 18 years as low carb. I did dr Atkins '72 diet, the original Keto diet. People call keto today is super aggressive with fat at75% or higher.

people use keto and low carb interchangeably. I believe if u are under about 40-50g of daily carbs u r in ketosis. Some can be closer to 70 and still letogenic. You can also be super low calorie and be ketogenic.

i presently ave between 650-850 Cala on most days. I eat from 60-70g protein; roughly 25-30g net carbs;and around 30g of fat per day. I am ketogenic not only due to carb and Protein suppression but also due to low calories.

Thanks for clarifying.

Low carb and keto are definitely not the same diets, and I wish they wouldn't be used interchangeably. Low carb can certainly make sense. Many WLS patients are low carb without really trying, just by eating Protein first, veggies second and carbs last, as most of us are told to.

I think your last point is one that is often missed. If you're losing weight, by definition you're in ketosis, no matter your carb intake.

"Ketosis describes the metabolic state whereby the body converts fat stores into energy, releasing ketones in the process"

So I've done that math of what true Keto macros look like calorie wise, assuming 60 g of protein
Total 960 calories
I totally fail to understand how this is a sound diet for a WLS patient. That is an incredible low amount of carbs, my Calcium supplements almost total that alone, one would basically need to eliminate dairy. That is a lot of fat to consume (1/3 cup of oil). All the while only being just over 5 oz of food.< br>
I *could* do this by eating avocados and chicken salad (just those two things basically) but it wouldn't be feasible for long because it would get old in a couple of months

Tealael...that was the kindest thing to say. Thank you for appreciating my efforts....and you're right...giving back should be a part of the equation for everyone. It's important.

But I've made nearly 3000 posts. Most have been answers to questions and encouragement of others. I'm pooped! LOL:)

At some point...you just want to stop talking about this shite all the time and concentrate on stuff you value more. Time isn't unlimited, and key relationships take priority.

If you really wanna know why I'm calling it quits August 1st? My kiddo and I are taking a one month car trip across the US:) Girl road trip. I'm excited out of my gourd:) When we get home, I'm going back to college:) At 46. LOL:) My dance card it pretty full.

Not to say I don't value all you guys. I've gotten back as much as I've given and I think you're all amazing.

Thanks again.

10 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

So I've done that math of what true Keto macros look like calorie wise, assuming 60 g of Protein

Total 960 calories

I totally fail to understand how this is a sound diet for a WLS patient. That is an incredible low amount of carbs, my Calcium supplements almost total that alone, one would basically need to eliminate dairy. That is a lot of fat to consume (1/3 cup of oil). All the while only being just over 5 oz of food.

I've told u I don't do the "keto" diet as it's defined. If I ate anywhere near that fat level I would be so sick. I don't do well with high fat. Now please excuse me but I'm done being grilled and being made to defend my dietary choices.

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

I've told u I don't do the "keto" diet as it's defined. If I ate anywhere near that fat level I would be so sick. I don't do well with high fat. Now please excuse me but I'm done being grilled and being made to defend my dietary choices.

This is a thread about Keto, not about @FluffyChix This post was not directed at you, but at Keto in general.

4 minutes ago, Tealael said:

I *could* do this by eating avocados and chicken salad (just those two things basically) but it wouldn't be feasible for long because it would get old in a couple of months

Wouldn't the lack of food volume be an issue?

Tealael...that was the kindest thing to say. Thank you for appreciating my efforts....and you're right...giving back should be a part of the equation for everyone. It's important.
But I've made nearly 3000 posts. Most have been answers to questions and encouragement of others. I'm pooped! LOL:)
At some point...you just want to stop talking about this shite all the time and concentrate on stuff you value more. Time isn't unlimited, and key relationships take priority.
If you really wanna know why I'm calling it quits August 1st? My kiddo and I are taking a one month car trip across the US:) Girl road trip. I'm excited out of my gourd:) When we get home, I'm going back to college:) At 46. LOL:) My dance card it pretty full.
Not to say I don't value all you guys. I've gotten back as much as I've given and I think you're all amazing.
Thanks again.

Well congrats all around