Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I eat healthy when my family doesn't?

I also use small baby plates, ALL food is away where it belongs (out of sight out of mind) food that is not mine is placed furthest out of reach (too bad everyone) , I have to have a reason to eat (scheduled) otherwise it's tea time, coffee break, or enjoy this artisinal Water Tealael (that you paided way too much for BTW)

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 167

My son just made a sausage/chicken/potato bake for dinner and baked a peach cobbler for dessert. I ate my chicken enchilada Soup while their dinner was still cooking so I won't be so tempted!

My son just made a sausage/chicken/potato bake for dinner and baked a peach cobbler for dessert. I ate my chicken enchilada Soup while their dinner was still cooking so I won't be so tempted!

You could always *accidentally* bump into the cobbler so that it falls right into the trash... Not all heroes wear capes

31 minutes ago, Tealael said:

You could always *accidentally* bump into the cobbler so that it falls right into the trash... Not all heroes wear capes

I love it! 😂

3 hours ago, Tealael said:

I also use small baby plates, ALL food is away where it belongs (out of sight out of mind) food that is not mine is placed furthest out of reach (too bad everyone) , I have to have a reason to eat (scheduled) otherwise it's tea time, coffee break, or enjoy this artisinal Water Tealael (that you paided way too much for BTW)

Comical! I will follow you & laugh.

I have baby plates and baby utensils (like DIsney Frozen princess). The other day a friend saw it and asked what they were for!! Awkward!!!

i get what everyone is saying. It is very hard to live with people not on the same eating plan. Last night, I ate chicken salad. My family ate costco pizza and these cheese pastry things. I’m nearly a year out so I can’t expect people to tiptoe around me forever. Plus, there are temptations everywhere so even if I could get them to eat healthy, you’re still dealing with an entire world that makes it difficult.

I don’t think family/people you live with realize they aren’t being supportive by eating crap. At this point, I’ve lost a lot of weight and can deal with it most of the time. They’re doing more harm to themselves with this way of eating. I keep hoping that they will want to change. I wish my sister could lose weight so she doesn’t get to the point where she might need weight loss surgery. But, of all people, I know how difficult it is.

12 hours ago, Tealael said:

Oh, I bumpted into the cobbler all right! And not into the trash :blush: Oh, well, today's a new day - off to add my sins to the confession thread!

Oh, I bumpted into the cobbler all right! And not into the trash :blush: Oh, well, today's a new day - off to add my sins to the confession thread!

BUT FIRST...

Add it to MFP LOL

The only confession that counts

On 07/18/2018 at 09:41, Tealael said:

*Oprah voice* EVERYONE GETS A NEW DIET!!!!

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 169

I love Oprah and this made my week

So I’m the primary decision maker in the house of me and my hubs and we bulk shop and there is some great stuff you can get bulk shopping. I get all my Protein there I get my Protein Drinks my Vitamins my frozen fruit veggies all of it you just basically have to say in you big person voice look guys I know you did not choose this diet lifestyle what have you but I need x y z and all the other letters on the alphabet including the Greek one so I’m coming to the store or handing you a list get me my stuff and y’all get what ever you want and don’t negotiate

Sooo the plot thickens... sent my spouse to the store to grocery shop for he and my mother... there are chips.. and cookies...

You know, after my mom goes home Tuesday I think hubs and I will have a “discussion” about what being supportive means. 🙄🙄🙄

Honestly you cannot blame others. There is Support, but you must also control yourself.

You cannot let what others do effect your new lifestyle.

Honestly you cannot blame others. There is Support, but you must also control yourself.

You cannot let what others do effect your new lifestyle.

Very easy in theory, but in practice not so much (something I constantly have remind myself before I hand out an easy inspirational response )

Some people are dealing with a range of eating disorders, and they are hoping that during this MOST difficult period where everything is changing, they are literally starving pre op or they are in a lot of pain from surgery and could *easily* given in to prior behavior, their families would help make it just a little easier, by changing just few eating habits also or at least eating all of their junk in the car on the way home...

21 minutes ago, Tealael said:

Very easy in theory, but in practice not so much (something I constantly have remind myself before I hand out an easy inspirational response )

Some people are dealing with a range of eating disorders, and they are hoping that during this MOST difficult period where everything is changing, they are literally starving pre op or they are in a lot of pain from surgery and could *easily* given in to prior behavior, their families would help make it just a little easier, by changing just few eating habits also or at least eating all of their junk in the car on the way home...

Though I understand. I also come from an eating disorder. Binge and purge. And a family that isn’t supportive: I actually only told a few people. By a few I mean 2! That I’ve gone through vsg. It’s a mind game. You gotta be stronger than the urges. It all starts in the pre diet. Because after surgery you don’t have hunger cravings. Your brain does, but not the stomach. Which is why I said you cannot reply on the support from others because they have no idea what you will be going through.

21 minutes ago, Tealael said:

Though I understand. I also come from an eating disorder. Binge and purge. And a family that isn’t supportive: I actually only told a few people. By a few I mean 2! That I’ve gone through vsg. It’s a mind game. You gotta be stronger than the urges. It all starts in the pre diet. Because after surgery you don’t have hunger cravings. Your brain does, but not the stomach. Which is why I said you cannot reply on the support from others because they have no idea what you will be going through.