Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I eat healthy when my family doesn't?

Though I understand. I also come from an eating disorder. Binge and purge. And a family that isn’t supportive: I actually only told a few people. By a few I mean 2! That I’ve gone through vsg. It’s a mind game. You gotta be stronger than the urges. It all starts in the pre diet. Because after surgery you don’t have hunger cravings. Your brain does, but not the stomach. Which is why I said you cannot reply on the support from others because they have no idea what you will be going through.

I have no eating disorders and real hunger...It ALL varies by person

No i agree, you can't always rely on people but the least they can do is not get in your way.

Also not everyone will lose the hunger sensation and even more interesting I just found out today by another poster, sometimes Vitamins can increase it.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/488651-vitamin-b-complex-and-weight-gain/">https://www.livestrong.com/art...min-b-complex-and-weight-gain/

VSG2017 HW 249 SW 238 CW 167

On 07/22/2018 at 21:06, Tealael said:

I have no eating disorders and real hunger...

It ALL varies by person

No i agree, you can't always rely on people but the least they can do is not get in your way.

Exactly. My biggest food issue was almost certainly snacking at night. I’d never met a salty snack I didn’t like.

Also- while I may have packed on more pounds through our terrible shopping habits- I would really hope this is a chance for my spouse to clean up his eating as well... he may not have a BMI over 30, but eating loads of crap is bad for a person whether they are obese or not.

Exactly. My biggest food issue was almost certainly snacking at night. I’d never met a salty snack I didn’t like.

Also- while I may have packed on more pounds through our terrible shopping habits- I would really hope this is a chance for my spouse to clean up his eating as well... he may not have a BMI over 30, but eating loads of crap is bad for a person whether they are obese or not.
I'm a firm believer that husbands wives and young children sign up for the bariatric package (some dietary changes have to occur in their lives too) everyone else like mothers, fathers, adult children, sisters, brothers, roommates, etc they can support in other ways

You would love that. But people are sometimes selfish. And sometimes those close to you, are the ones who will Sabotage you the most.

You would love that. But people are sometimes selfish. And sometimes those close to you, are the ones who will Sabotage you the most.
*Family Meeting Time*
Playing no games...

On 07/22/2018 at 21:23, Tealael said:

I'm a firm believer that husbands wives and young children sign up for the bariatric package (some dietary changes have to occur in their lives too) everyone else like mothers, fathers, adult children, sisters, brothers, roommates, etc they can support in other ways

Yes, I agree. Anyone in the household. That’s why I’m not so upset with my mom- she’s just visiting us to help me out post-op and lives 3 hours away. Though obviously I would love her to develop healthier eating habits for her own health, what she’s eating on a daily basis won’t impact my success like my spouse is eating will.

And if I’m making steps to live a longer, healthier life- why wouldn’t I want a partner to try to do the same? Whatever diets we have when/if we have kids will impact their future health (same reason why we both quit smoking!).

I’m only 5 almost 6 wks out and I make my own meals apart from my family or who ever is coming to eat.. I still enjoy making food for family gatherings even tho I can’t eat it and I just say no or maybe serve myself a spoon full of what I really want and try it I can barley handle 3-4 oz of food anyway so it’s not going to ruin me and remind myself workout for the compromise after

On 07/22/2018 at 23:45, insta_adventurer said:

Yes, I agree. Anyone in the household. That’s why I’m not so upset with my mom- she’s just visiting us to help me out post-op and lives 3 hours away. Though obviously I would love her to develop healthier eating habits for her own health, what she’s eating on a daily basis won’t impact my success like my spouse is eating will.

And if I’m making steps to live a longer, healthier life- why wouldn’t I want a partner to try to do the same? Whatever diets we have when/if we have kids will impact their future health (same reason why we both quit smoking!).
Does your mom understand what it means to “help me out post op”?
Anyway, I agree you and your spouse need to have a serious discussion about what will come into the house for the foreseeable future

Guys my family had a birthday on Saturday it was a crab feast if your in Maryland we have amazing blue crabs but guys there were 3 cakes ok 3 for 1 persons birthday whyyyyy. Mind you if already maxed out my carbs for the day but come on 3 friggin cakes

On 07/23/2018 at 02:06, NYJenn said:

Does your mom understand what it means to “help me out post op”?

Anyway, I agree you and your spouse need to have a serious discussion about what will come into the house for the foreseeable future
You have a point... but my own crappy eating habits didn’t just magically appear. I’m not saying I blame my mother for decisions I made as an adult, but I definitely developed some poor eating habits as a kid!

So- I guess that I’m not surprised she wants to eat those things- plus she at least asked me if it was okay to the order pizza (and I had just come home and felt so yucky still I thought it wouldn’t bother me!)

Funny story- we were out and about yesterday and it got to be 2pm, she said, “soooo... when are we going to do lunch? ”

My response, “Oh, right... you still need to eat.” 😂😂

I’m only 5 almost 6 wks out and I make my own meals apart from my family or who ever is coming to eat.. I still enjoy making food for family gatherings even tho I can’t eat it and I just say no or maybe serve myself a spoon full of what I really want and try it I can barley handle 3-4 oz of food anyway so it’s not going to ruin me and remind myself workout for the compromise after
I still cook for my family, and while they eay almost exactly how I eat, some things are different.

BUT

The worst part of cooking for other people is taste testing! Not because I'll go off the rails from a taste, but because the sensory difference! Everything is too ... Sweet, salty, spicy etc.

I just can't tell if I'm seasoning correctly for everyone else anymore...
Also I'm always like " am I required to wait 30 mins between taste testing and drinking Water? ?? " idk

Anyone else have this problem?