Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confessional - Lets post our cheats/confessions/etc so others can see that we are all human



Recommended Posts

I've returned to drinking Diet Dr. Pepper. Every. Single. Day. No bloat. No pain. Nothing weird-feeling at all. It has to be supercold with ice, though. I never drink pop straight from the can. I always drink it with ice. (I didn't have ANY pop during my pre-op diet or for almost three weeks post-op.) This one concession makes me feel whole again. I can give up just about everything else, except for my daily pop habit.*:71_smiling_imp: *

I've been craving salt. I mushed up a few Saltine crackers and some potato chips until they were pulp in my mouth.

I bought a small cheeseburger at McDonald's. I chewed up each bite to a mushy consistency, then I spit it out. Except for the last bite. That one I swallowed.

*:71_smiling_imp: *Phosphoric acid is a major component in most sodas. Phosphorus itself is an important bone mineral. But if you're getting a disproportionate amount of phosphorus compared to the amount of calcium you're getting, that could lead to bone loss.

Another possible culprit is caffeine, which experts have long known can interfere with Calcium absorption. In one study, both caffeinated and non-caffeinated colas were associated with lower bone density. But the caffeinated drinks appeared to do more damage.

This study isn't the last word on the subject. Some experts point out that the amount of phosphoric acid in soda is minimal compared to that found in chicken or cheese. And no one's telling women to stop eating chicken.

Smart Steps for Soda Lovers

Whether the apparent soda and osteoporosis link is due to effects of the soda itself or simply because soda drinkers get less of other, healthier beverages, it's clear that you need to be extra-vigilant about your bone health if you're a soda fiend.

"Soda drinkers need to pay extra attention to getting calcium from other sources."

A few steps you can take to boost your bone health:

  • Can't give soda up entirely? Cut out one or two cans a day (depending on how much you drink).
  • Better still, for every soda you skip, reach for a glass of milk or fortified orange juice instead. Not only will you be cutting back on any harmful effect from the soda itself, you'll be adding calcium. (If you're a diet soda drinker worried about calories, here's a plus: fat-free milk has even more calcium than higher-calorie whole milk.)
  • Have a breakfast Cereal fortified with calcium -- and pour milk on top.
  • Add milk instead of water when you prepare things like pancakes, waffles, and cocoa.
  • Add nonfat powdered dry milk to all kinds of recipes -- puddings, Cookies, breads, Soups, gravy, and casseroles. One tablespoon adds 52 mg of calcium. You can add three tablespoons per cup of milk in puddings, cocoa and custard; four tablespoons per cup of hot cereal (before cooking); and 2 tablespoons per cup of flour in cakes, cookies and breads.
  • Take a calcium (calcium citrate for bypass patients) and a vitamin D supplement if you aren't getting enough calcium in your diet.
  • Get plenty of weight-bearing and resistance exercise.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On July 16, 2018 at 12:47 PM, AshAsh1 said:

Interesting, I'm only taking 1000mg. Maybe I should boost that up... thanks for the tip!

My surgeon's calcium citrate recommendation is 1500mg to 2000mg, divided into three or four doses of about 500mg each, taken at least two hours apart. (And, of course, never take the Calcium with iron.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Orchids&Dragons. . . and then proceed to lose our ever-lovin'-minds.

I just had to say this sentence out loud to myself several times because it was just so much fun to say!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was so stressed over finals last year, (yay for finishing my nursing prerequisites), I found out I can still manage to eat an entire bag of the cheesy jalapeño Cheetos (or 2! 😫). It took me a few hours but I did it. After my last final, I made my husband swear to never let me buy them again! (VSG May 2016 and I’ve been maintaining my 140lbs weight loss for almost 9 months now)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On July 17, 2018 at 5:51 AM, sillykitty said:

There is no test for Protein deficiencies. But the long term effects of not getting enough Protein are no joke.

http://time.com/4374959/protein-health-benefits-nutrition/

Tons of ways to get protein in, poke around other threads or start a new topic :)

That's not completely accurate, :) sillykitty. (Love saying sillykitty!)

My most recent labwork tested my TOTAL PROTEIN. It was 7.0

Albumin and globulin are two types of protein in your body. The total protein test measures the total amount of albumin and globulin in your body. The normal range for total protein is between 6 and 8.3 grams per deciliter (g/dL). This range may vary slightly among laboratories. Gender and age also play a role in your test result.

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Matt Z This might be why, when you consume foods like this and then go to bed your body can't burn them off... try switching your cheat meal to the middle of the day to see if that helps any.

Tsk, tsk, Matt. I thought this thread was about posting our cheating experiences, not giving lessons on how to be more effective cheaters!! You are a very, very bad boy.:72_imp:

Edited by Missouri-Lee's Summit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

@Matt Z This might be why, when you consume foods like this and then go to bed your body can't burn them off... try switching your cheat meal to the middle of the day to see if that helps any.

Tsk, tsk, Matt. I thought this thread was about posting our cheating experiences, not giving lessons on how to be more effective cheaters!! You are a very, very bad boy.:72_imp:

I said "Lets keep this as civil as possible" and "Nothing negative"... neither of which can be applied to my statement about moving the cheat meal to another part of the day to avoid consuming those calories so close to bedtime. There are plenty of studies into cheating (potentially) being beneficial. I passed no judgement. If someone is going to cheat, that's on them, however helping someone who's already cheating to "cheat better" isn't anything bad at all. I mean, if someone could give you a simple tip to change your cheating into something that might actually benefit you... wouldn't you want to know what that change was? I know I would.

Edited by Matt Z

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Matt Z said:

I said "Lets keep this as civil as possible" and "Nothing negative"... neither of which can be applied to my statement about moving the cheat meal to another part of the day to avoid consuming those calories so close to bedtime. There are plenty of studies into cheating (potentially) being beneficial. I passed no judgement. If someone is going to cheat, that's on them, however helping someone who's already cheating to "cheat better" isn't anything bad at all. I mean, if someone could give you a simple tip to change your cheating into something that might actually benefit you... wouldn't you want to know what that change was? I know I would.

Oh, gee willikers, Matt. My comment was meant to be purely tongue-in-cheek. I was attempting to be cute and clever, not Jerky and judgmental. I feel sad and bad that you believed otherwise. I thought my devil emoji :72_imp: and my sarcastic, almost childlike-scolding tone (you are a very, very bad boy) would have been obvious tip-offs. Perhaps I should stick to sedate comments, ones that can't be misinterpreted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:

Oh, gee willikers, Matt. My comment was meant to be purely tongue-in-cheek. I was attempting to be cute and clever, not Jerky and judgmental. I feel sad and bad that you believed otherwise. I thought my devil emoji :72_imp: and my sarcastic, almost childlike-scolding tone (you are a very, very bad boy) would have been obvious tip-offs. Perhaps I should stick to sedate comments, ones that can't be misinterpreted.

It might not be your fault. I'm partially on the spectrum... that and I've been online for so long (Since '94) that I've long since stopped reading into others posts, I read what's written and generally don't apply anything extra to the text than was is clearly written. I pretty much always write that way as well, just "matter of fact", no added emotion or feelings or intended meaning. What's written, is all there is. Too many people read their own emotion into what I write and it goes off the rails quickly. I actually spent several months self narrating online, so that no one would be able to mistake what I was writing. Matt said stoically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ate half of a malasada last night.... such a combination of things I shouldn't be eating! No adverse reactions around the time of consumption... but oof did the this mornings daily time on the throne suck. That said... I did lose 1.2 lbs from yesterday's morning weigh in. LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Confessions! They make my catholic schoolgirl heart flutter. Anyway, ten days into the two week liquid diet I screech into the Burger King parking lot like the getaway driver in a bank robbery. Order a small onion ring (sans sauce-I'm health conscience like that) and woof them down. As I'm licking my fingers I think how guilty I should feel and I should probably cry or something but I couldn't squeeze out a single tear. Funny thing is, I don't even like Burger King and there were way better options across the street but I couldn't be bothered to do a U turn.
th?id=OIP.6az0fr43XFPapXDZfPh5dgHaH_%26w=191%26h=206%26c=8%26rs=1%26qlt=90%26pid=3.1%26rm=2&key=927d1f408f114606f04b533510667e89dc01076ffbf385d86bacd01f9fb705a5
Hilarious!!![emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G928T using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 07/18/2018 at 06:07, Matt Z said:



I ate half of a malasada last night.... such a combination of things I shouldn't be eating! No adverse reactions around the time of consumption... but oof did the this mornings daily time on the throne suck. That said... I did lose 1.2 lbs from yesterday's morning weigh in. LOL.


I had to google what a malasada was LOL 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 07/18/2018 at 03:50, Missouri-Lee's Summit said:





Their combined weight or individually?


Individually 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:
27 minutes ago, Matt Z said:


I ate half of a malasada last night.... such a combination of things I shouldn't be eating! No adverse reactions around the time of consumption... but oof did the this mornings daily time on the throne suck. That said... I did lose 1.2 lbs from yesterday's morning weigh in. LOL.

I had to google what a malasada was LOL 😂

it's a Dough Boy for the most part... just a very slightly different dough, it's a sweeter dough, you can get them in traditional dough boy shapes, puffed like donuts and puffed and filled versions.

My wife works at a mom and pop Portuguese bakery that also has a small restaurant, so sometimes things come home with her that I'd really rather didn't. But it's "for the kids"... to which I always tell her they don't need that crap either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×