Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else deal with diarrhea early post-op?

Hi all,

Admittedly feeling frustrated here. Overall, I've had a smooth recovery aside from a few ups and downs. I'm going on 10 days post op and have an abundance of energy and am seeing progress. My team has me on a clear liquid diet for the first two weeks post op (realize this might be different than some programs but it is what it is and I'm following it to the letter). That being said, I'm having several small bouts of diarrhea a day. It's not like flu or explosive, but it's concerning to me. I was actually expecting to be constipated.

I was slightly dehydrated at my last check-in appointment and had to get fluids. My surgical team doesn't seem all that concerned and suggested that I add a tiny bit of soluble Fiber in the AM and PM to try to bulk things up, which I started today. Anyone else care to share how they dealt with this (if they did)? It's just s little disheartening to be feeling so great and yet be having to deal with this.

I had what I would consider to be severe issues up until about 2 days ago. (My surgery was 6/20) I've been basically scared to leave the house or really even sit on the sofa without a couple of towels under me just in case. I wore a lot of black shorts!

Now, that I'm eating normal food, things are back to normal. But I've added carbs so I'm sure that's what has helped. Anytime I do a low carb diet I have this issue, even before surgery. So glad that's over.

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 6:14 PM, EsoKev said:

Hi all,

Admittedly feeling frustrated here. Overall, I've had a smooth recovery aside from a few ups and downs. I'm going on 10 days post op and have an abundance of energy and am seeing progress. My team has me on a clear liquid diet for the first two weeks post op (realize this might be different than some programs but it is what it is and I'm following it to the letter). That being said, I'm having several small bouts of diarrhea a day. It's not like flu or explosive, but it's concerning to me. I was actually expecting to be constipated.

I was slightly dehydrated at my last check-in appointment and had to get fluids. My surgical team doesn't seem all that concerned and suggested that I add a tiny bit of soluble Fiber in the AM and PM to try to bulk things up, which I started today. Anyone else care to share how they dealt with this (if they did)? It's just s little disheartening to be feeling so great and yet be having to deal with this.

I didn't experience any Constipation until full liquids. its very common to have diarrhea with Clear Liquids. I think things will start to firm up once you transition. On a side note, poor you... 2 weeks of clear liquids is rough!