Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

Hi all! I will be 3 weeks post op tomorrow. I have been getting nauseous after drinking my Protein Shakes all of a sudden. I need them to get my Protein goals in. I am supposed to be on puréed stage but my body doesn’t handle those well . I am still doing mostly soft foods and only getting 2 TBSP I’m at a time. Anyone else having similarities? Also all the sugar free fluids are getting gross as I can really taste the chemicals all of a sudden! I know it gets better

Skylw6 I’m 3 weeks post op, I’ve been having the same issue. Everything makes me nauseous, especially those Protein Shakes. I take one sip and feel like I’m going to puke. I’m also supposed to be on puréed but I’ve been having a rough time with it. I take 3 small bites and I can’t eat anymore. I was told I could have scrambled eggs so I thought I’d try that to get some Protein but I haven’t even been able to eat half an egg. Glad I’m not the only one, I thought something was wrong because no one else talks about having this issue at 3 weeks.

Two week post op today and it is my first day back at work. Feeling great to be back, but EXHAUSTED already and it’s only 10:30!

43 minutes ago, Jbyerly101 said:

Skylw6 I’m 3 weeks post op, I’ve been having the same issue. Everything makes me nauseous, especially those Protein Shakes. I take one sip and feel like I’m going to puke. I’m also supposed to be on puréed but I’ve been having a rough time with it. I take 3 small bites and I can’t eat anymore. I was told I could have scrambled eggs so I thought I’d try that to get some Protein but I haven’t even been able to eat half an egg. Glad I’m not the only one, I thought something was wrong because no one else talks about having this issue at 3 weeks.

Have you tried Protein Powder for shakes instead of the premixed shakes. I only use powder because I can adjust the taste. Less Water more flavor from the powder. If i'm not in the mood for the full flavor/sweetness I can add more water to it.

The 3 small bites and full problem is normal. I'm a month out and still have the same problem though at times (later in the day) I'm able to eat a bit more. Really frustrating as I really want to enjoy the meal than after a few bites I'm full and not as satisfied as I was in my head before eating it.

As of right now I am consuming 1 sometimes 2 meals that consist of a meat for Protein but because I can only take in so little, the amount of protein I get is very small. I saw my NUT yesterday and she suggested instead of substituting 2 meals with Protein Shakes only do one as a substitute and sip a second shake throughout the day between meals.

Hope this may help some of you and good luck!!!!

41 minutes ago, Jill Adrienne said:

Two week post op today and it is my first day back at work. Feeling great to be back, but EXHAUSTED already and it’s only 10:30!

Yes. I went back to work after two weeks and I was exhausted for the first couple of weeks. Still feel like I need a nap mid day.

Hello all

im 6 days post and I'm feeling really wired not sure how to explain kind of like recovering from a flue I'm taking in my fluids eating ok I'm walking every day. 30 min or so just resting could it be my body's reaction

please please any feedback would help!!!!

I’ve been having s really tough time drinking my prescribed medications. Zantac etc. does anyone have any tricks to making them not taste like anything? I have a pill crusher and put them in my Premier Protein chocolate right now but only put a tiny about of shake in so I can take the pills in maybe ten sips. Any help would be so appreciated :)

So I've read about the dreaded 3rd week stall and low and behold,
Here I am marking 3 weeks yesterday and the scale gained one pound on monday-ish and I lost it yesterday... but the scale is still on the same number it's been almost 5 days and the scale has not moved except to loose the pound I gained... I feel like .. I will not loose anymore weight .. in my head I'm saying this is it you only lost 25 pounds in 2 weeks and on the third week.. that's it. You'll be fat forever. :(

On 08/16/2018 at 09:47, mercmerc said:

Here I am marking 3 weeks yesterday and the scale gained one pound on monday-ish and I lost it yesterday... but the scale is still on the same number it's been almost 5 days and the scale has not moved except to loose the pound I gained... I feel like .. I will not loose anymore weight .. in my head I'm saying this is it you only lost 25 pounds in 2 weeks and on the third week.. that's it. You'll be fat forever. :(
Don’t worry! I bet you’ll lose 4 pounds one of these days. Just relax. It’s going to keep coming off.

On 08/16/2018 at 12:49, baribetty said:

Don’t worry! I bet you’ll lose 4 pounds one of these days. Just relax. It’s going to keep coming off.
I really do hope so :(

Honestly, 25 pounds in 2 weeks is a lot! And the three week stall is just part of it all. I lost 2 pounds in the last 2-3 weeks and was feeling the same way you are ( I’m 3 1/2 months post op) and then I lost 4 pounds on Monday. Try not to weigh yourself everyday.

08/16/2018 11:47 AM, mercmerc said:

That’s how I feel too, Monday makes three weeks. I gained back over a pound this morning. My anxiety has been convincing me that this is all I’m going to lose. That once I FINALLY graduate to puréed foods next week I’m going to gain some of it back and then I’ll just have done this big thing for nothing.

That or the only way I’m going to have any success on this is to eat only 500’cal per day, workout for like four hours a day, and never eat anything yummy ever again.

Anxiety is dumb but powerful.

(Edited to add: I’m down 15lbs since my surgery on 7/30. I lost about 12-13 pounds during the pre-op which I started on 7/16.)

On 08/16/2018 at 12:53, baribetty said:

Honestly, 25 pounds in 2 weeks is a lot! And the three week stall is just part of it all. I lost 2 pounds in the last 2-3 weeks and was feeling the same way you are ( I’m 3 1/2 months post op) and then I lost 4 pounds on Monday. Try not to weigh yourself everyday.
I do every other day, but I just feel like a failure cause my mom is like well you're eating to much or why aren't you loosing and im like im not eating a lot and idk its normal and its hard to convince her that its not my fault

On 08/16/2018 at 12:53, AELdoesRNY said:

That’s how I feel too, Monday makes three weeks. I gained back over a pound this morning. My anxiety has been convincing me that this is all I’m going to lose. That once I FINALLY graduate to puréed foods next week I’m going to gain some of it back and then I’ll just have done this big thing for nothing.

That or the only way I’m going to have any success on this is to eat only 500’cal per day, workout for like four hours a day, and never eat anything yummy ever again.

Anxiety is dumb but powerful.

(Edited to add: I’m down 15lbs since my surgery on 7/30. I lost about 12-13 pounds during the pre-op which I started on 7/16.)
ME TOOO i hate it!!

On 08/16/2018 at 11:58, mercmerc said:

I do every other day, but I just feel like a failure cause my mom is like well you're eating to much or why aren't you loosing and im like im not eating a lot and idk its normal and its hard to convince her that its not my fault
Ah, shit...mothers and daughters and weight, am I right?

Can you set some ground rules with her? Like you’re not allowed to comment on my weight/weight loss/appearance/etc? I did that with my immediate family (besides husband) because I anticipated all sorts of well intentioned but very upsetting comments...