Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer 2018 Surgery Buddies: POST-OP Discussion

I had my sleeve May 14. The first week or so was hard from an emotional standpoint. It’s hard to look back and explain it, but I felt as if I had done it all for nothing. However, my moods leveled out, and now I feel great.
I also feel great physically, but I’m not losing the weight I thought I would. I’m walking and exercising every day. I counted my calories this week and realized I’m only getting about 400 a day. I think this is too low. But eating and drinking is such a challenge! I’m getting my recommended Protein, but not nearly enough fluids. I’m just never hungry, and when I drink, I feel full, so that makes me not want to drink more, much less eat. Will this get better?

But, all in all, no regrets. I’ll continue doing my part, and if I lose slower that I want, I can live with that. As long as I lose.

I’ll see my doc this week and talk about calories. Hoping he has a solution I can work through.

Thanks for listening!
58 yo female
230-something, I think

Hi everyone!
I’m four days post-op and still struggling! My incisions are sore but the gas pain is just awful and I can’t seem to find any relief for it. Sipping is definitely a challenge too. Can’t wait to start feeling back to normal!

I am 8 days out and getting in about 40oz in. Not including broth, Jello, or popsicles. Mostly Clear Protein Drink. Had my post op visit today. Told me to increase my fluids. So hard because I like to gulp my drinks and I can’t do that. Sometimes I forget and take a big swig I pay for it very painful
I've been drinking out of either one or two ounce cups. It helps me slow down and not drink so fast.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Well I had surgery on the 20th. I’m still in the hospital. Because they were having problems keeping my bp up. Then they did labs and my kidney is having issues. Hoping all is well and I can go home tomorrow.
Hey, we're surgery twins! That sucks that you are still stuck in the hospital. Hope you get to go home soon!

I’m home got to come home today. All my blood work is doing great back to normal levels. Now to keep moving and take my pain medication.

8 hours ago, Trixie82 said:

Hey, we're surgery twins! That sucks that you are still stuck in the hospital. Hope you get to go home soon!

Yay I’m glad someone is my surgery twin. How are you feeling

Yay I’m glad someone is my surgery twin. How are you feeling
I'm doing better than I expected to be. Got a little cocky earlier and took an extra sip of Water after taking a pill and almost threw up. But overal my pain is getting better. Need to drink more. I'm getting about 32-40 ozs a day. How are you now that you are home? I'm taking lots of naps lol

Yeah I’m trying to sit up and walk. Watch movies and drink a sip here and there. I’m tired and want a nap but can’t figure out a comfy position

On 06/21/2018 at 15:56, Ylime said:

Whew!!

Can you add me too!

Yeah I’m trying to sit up and walk. Watch movies and drink a sip here and there. I’m tired and want a nap but can’t figure out a comfy position
I'm in a recliner with pillows under me on both sides. It works.

Hey all! Thanks for tagging me on the new thread @Ylime! I've been lurking trying to keep up. A lot of new members! I had surgery 6/4. It has been a rough recovery for me. I haven't had any complications...I'm very thankful for that. Just a lot of pain and discomfort, which took me off guard since I've had 3 c-sections. They were a piece of cake. I guess I was hoping for the same for this surgery. Getting all my liquids and Protein is a struggle to. It is super weird to not have ANY hunger. My mind is officially blown! Thursday was my follow up and I was down 17.6 lbs. I haven't weighed since. I'm trying not to be neurotic about it, but it sure is exciting!😁🎉 Take care everyone

Edited by Willbslimnik

My biggest issue right now so far is a headache that doesn’t stay gone. I take liquid Tylenol and it goes away for a few hours. But I don’t want to take so much Tylenol either to keep it away. Plus my stomach gets nausea. Anyone who gets a headache as well? What are you doing for it?

15 hours ago, stacelistman said:

Hi everyone!
I’m four days post-op and still struggling! My incisions are sore but the gas pain is just awful and I can’t seem to find any relief for it. Sipping is definitely a challenge too. Can’t wait to start feeling back to normal!

@stacelistman, my Dr. has allowed me to take Phazyme 250. It has worked great for me

I’m two days post-op. Feeling pretty good. My scars and stomach don’t hurt too much. But my neck is killing me. I went into the hospital with a kinked neck and headache and it hasn’t stopped. I’m assuming it’s due to the position my head was in during surgery with the breathing tube but it still hurts.
I’m taking Tylenol for pain - probably would stop that if my neck stopped hurting. Plus using a heating pad on my neck once in awhile.

Getting about 40oz of liquid - 1oz at a time.