Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Couch to 5K - Week of 04 ? 10 November

Which week are you running this week?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which week are you running this week?

Good evening,

Thanks losing for starting this thread. I felt desperate to report today that I did week 2/day 1 this morning. I feel silly being so excited that I ran a 90 second interval but it felt great. The 2nd to last one was all uphill and I thought I was going to die. In the past I have run a greater distance if I am on the treadmill but I want to try to train outside as much as possible. I don't know if it makes a big difference.

Happy Birthday Trystelle!!!!!

Kaydotrn,

Don't feel silly at all, it's an amazing achievement! I also did week 2 run 1 today, but my ipod decided not to work today so I had to keep track myself and I forgot to look at the sheet for the intervals of running/walking so I ran for 2 min and only walked for 90 seconds, oh well.

90 second intervals are better than no intervals. At first I felt silly running for such a short periods when there are people next to me running for 10 minutes straight. But guess what? If I did that I would pass out! That's the point of this program, to ease ourselves into being able to run distances.

I have yet to try running outside. It's probably a very different experience than on the treadmill. Keep up the great work!

Hi,

Can I just pop in with a word of encouragement? A year ago I started the couch to 5 program... needed to do every week twice. I started in November 2006, ran my first 5 k in March 2007, ran a 10 km in June (which was too fast), ran another 5 in September and have been training for a 1/2 marathon that I will do December 2nd.

Right now I am building my training and this weekend I will do 19km.

I hope this doesn't sound to 'braggy' I just wanted to say it can be done!!!!! I love running and I am so happy to find it!!!!!

Good luck to all of you!!!! You can do it!!!

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/158/148

wow delta!! that is amazing. I also want to run in a marathon! It's been in my goal notebook for a few years now. I am loving couch to 5k!

did week 3 workout 1 yesterday and made it through, it was easier than i expected, but it did kick my butt a bit. I was sweating and my face was burgandy.

Is running on an incline of 3 too much? this is what i do, so those of you that are ahead of me tell me if this is too much for too little.

brisk walk pace = 3.5-3.8

run pace =5.0-5.5

incline 3.0

it still ends up being just under 2miles. what's up with that? Does everyone else only run 2 miles too?

Kaydot my girl! You are awsome!

kay - great job on week 2. i thought my first week 2 run i was going to keel over! great job on the incline! i am too chicken to start running outside yet. i need to find a good path where i will 'inspect' it before running ... i dont like to look at the ground when i run ... who knows what i am going to do at a marathon!

delta!!! ahhhh! i am so excited to see you here. please visit often. i think we all need all the encouragement we can get...!! congrats on your past runs and good luck on your 1/2. where is it?

sweethot - your pace is faster than mine. my brisk walk is 3.5-4.0 and my run is 4.4-4.7. i get about 1.78 miles in my run. i have not started an incline yet.

I am truly shocked that week 4 wasn't too bad!!! True story - during the second 3 minute run (alternates 5 and 3 min runs) I actually FORGOT I was running and was jerked back into consciousness when the guy told me to stop! This is truly a MAJOR NSV for me - I have never "forgotten" that I was exercising before in my life!

Losing, I think he's on a business trip....said he'd try to check in when he could

Hi all, and thanks losing for inviting me over :confused:

I have a couple of questions if you dont mind me picking your brains.

I have a cross trainer at home ( I live in a rural area and my nearest half decent gym is MILES away) is that the same as exercise as running? Would I be better doing a proper run outside? ( I do have the English weather to contend with though)

I am desperate to get my fitness up so can I join and do mine on the cross trainer for now, while I try to find a gym - you have to be here to believe it!

Look forwards to comparing notes, though I have to say that just looking at week one scares me!

Nina x

Hi,

Can I just pop in with a word of encouragement? A year ago I started the couch to 5 program... needed to do every week twice. I started in November 2006, ran my first 5 k in March 2007, ran a 10 km in June (which was too fast), ran another 5 in September and have been training for a 1/2 marathon that I will do December 2nd.

Right now I am building my training and this weekend I will do 19km.

I hope this doesn't sound to 'braggy' I just wanted to say it can be done!!!!! I love running and I am so happy to find it!!!!!

Good luck to all of you!!!! You can do it!!!

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/158/148

Delta, thanks for stopping in here. I was just peeking in before my c25k workout and I really didn't want to go. But after reading your post, I'm getting my butt to that gym...Thanks!

Hi all, and thanks losing for inviting me over :confused:

I have a couple of questions if you dont mind me picking your brains.

I have a cross trainer at home ( I live in a rural area and my nearest half decent gym is MILES away) is that the same as exercise as running? Would I be better doing a proper run outside? ( I do have the English weather to contend with though)

I am desperate to get my fitness up so can I join and do mine on the cross trainer for now, while I try to find a gym - you have to be here to believe it!

Look forwards to comparing notes, though I have to say that just looking at week one scares me!

Nina x

Welcome Nina

You could definately do the couch to 5k program on a crosstrainer, but just know that it will be easier than it would be to actually run the program. Running puts much more strain on your joints than the crosstrainer, which makes you work harder. You could definately try it outside, but where I live its very hilly and it gets harder and harder to do it outside so I try to stick with the treadmill and its getting dark here at about 4:30. Working the program on the crosstrainer would definately not hurt though...