Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

GAS! I cant seem to get relief

I am 16 days post op and I am really struggling with gas. It has gotten worse in the last 3 days, worse than immediately after surgery, and the discomfort is so difficult. I walk, I take the gas meds but nothing seems to stop this feeling of constantly feeling I have air trapped and the need to burp. I do actually burp and flatulate very often but the trapped gas feeling in my upper chest and thumping on my chest to try to get it up is really exhausting me.

Do any of you have tips on what you do when you feel like this and what you use to get rid of it? I have been using GasX strips and chewable GasX

I would call your surgeon's office to see if they have any tips. I've had 2 laparoscopic surgeries and that gas pain only lasted 2 - 3 days. 16 days seems like a long time.

Hot water bottle, or warm towel there. Try lying on your tummy face down , yeah ouch! Worse come to worse, try this maneuver. Take your right ARM , put it over the top of your head and try to grab your left ear. The shifting of your diaphragm will sometimes bring that bubble out. Go for a walk out in the beautiful sunlight, if you belch and dart outside it don't mean no never mind. Do knee bends, kill two birds with one stone, get the gas bubblesout and you've got some exercise in. And keep saying through cleanched teeth, THIS TOO SHALL PASS! and maybe it will!

11 minutes ago, FancyChristine15 said:

I would call your surgeon's office to see if they have any tips. I've had 2 laparoscopic surgeries and that gas pain only lasted 2 - 3 days. 16 days seems like a long time.

its not pain, its just an uncomfortable feeling of always feeling a gas bubble has to come up, all the time. Feeling gassy all the time.

Surgeon is in Mexicali and I live in Barbados

@Frustr8 thanks for those tips! I will try them

I experienced a huge influx of flatulence in the first few months post surgery. It was getting to the point where it was uncomfortable and inconvenient. I found that it died down after a few months. There was nothing I did to make it go away. But I wouldn't waist my money on the gas relief stuff, it doesn't work. I laid in the fetal position and rocked back and forth on my back. That seemed to help "knock it loose". Also, make sure you avoid the obvious like, straws, gum, and anything that you would be sucking on to take in additional air.

@BajanSleeve, I forgot you were in Barbados where it and the Water are always wArm. Have you tried swimming? Seems the Australian Crawl and Breaststroke might also dislodge those gas bubbles.🗽

42 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

@BajanSleeve, I forgot you were in Barbados where it and the Water are always wArm. Have you tried swimming? Seems the Australian Crawl and Breaststroke might also dislodge those gas bubbles.🗽

I cant go swimming until 6 weeks post op. its usually 5 weeks post op but as a diabetic they said 6 weeks so the incision wounds would not be open and exposed to Water. My larger incision is still open. I love to swim :)

Edited by BajanSleeve

I'm not giving up, sit in a,chair or own your bed and still do the arm motions. What you need,is to be burped like a baby, you almost have a case of colic. Speaking,of which, I seem to remember laying,them on my,lap and moving their little legs up to their tummy and then down. Rather like pumping, yes I realize you are an adult not an infant, but you are still a people. Sounnds silly but I suspect you're at the point,you would try,most anything. I know it won't help your gas exactly but I do ❤and enjoy your friendship.

@Frustr8 LOL I can ask my parents to lay my 271 lbs body over their knees and pump me ha ha ha ha :P

The gas was slightly better today because I ate some solid food, which I am not supposed to until week 4 but forget that! I mashed it up and chewed it in my mouth till it was pulverized. 3 tiny slices of sweet potato and vegetables from a chicken stew. probably 4 oz. Was great!

All I ever do is burp since surgery! I miss farting to annoy my husband and kids lol!