Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Surgery Dates

I need some help

I have not lost any weight since April, (last fill in April) thats 4 long months. I'm exercising 4 -5 days a week, I cant eat during the day and when I do, I am always excusing myself to the bathroom to vomit, I pig out in the evening.

I finally have an appt on the 20th and am debating on getting my 4th fill. its so frustrating at times.

HELP!

Lachica, you are in the right place for help. My first 4 months after my first fill were the slowest. I can't say exactly what is going with you because I am not a Dr. and I don’t have all the facts like what you pig out on. But I would venture to say when you are vomiting you are eating a little too much and to fast. Vomiting is a sure sign of overload. Try a Protein Shake, high Protein low fat and sugar smooth, or and Meal Replacement drink like Metrx earlier in the day. Gradually add solid food in the next meal and a little more the final meal. Please avoid pigging out if at all possible. Most of us can eat more at the end of the day than beginning. My father is banded also and he had the vomiting problem and it turns out he was overeating and not chewing very well.

You should not get a fill until you adjust your eating. If you are vomiting and you get a fill you may worsen the condition which can lead to some serious issues with the digestive system. I think you should start a food journal for now. I know it is a pain but it really does help at keeping you accountable for what you are stuffing in the mouth and you will see results.

Hang in there lady, this is not a race but a journey. We are all headed in the same direction each at our own pace.

You might be too full. They may need to take a little out. Dont panic if this is the case. You need to have a certain amount of calories for you to be able to lose weight.

I will be curious what you find out at the dr. I am having the exact same problem i keep debating about another fill or an unfill .please let me know what the dr. says when you see him next.

Hi Lachica,

I too seem to have stalled on the weight loss front. I think it has been about 3 months since I have lost weight. I have problems eating during the day and usually have my main meal in the p.m. (not good) The later the better. I also find a glass of wine opens me up and allows me to get the food down. sometimes I am fine but I often throw up if I eat solids before 2 or 3 pm. Let me know what the dotor said.

I was looking to see if you posted anything about your dr. appointment today lachica.I finially called my dr. today usually it is a wk or so before i can get in ,but the nurse told me to come in tomorrow eek lol. been since march when i had my last fill hope this is the right decision i am sure my dr. will tell me if it's not.

Hi ladies,

I want to thank you all for your suggestions, I came to realize I am my worst enemy. I finally realize that I was eating to much to fast and this has been causing the slimming episodes. I have been trying to eat foods that I can no longer tolerate; breads, Pasta, steak and making bad choices, candy, cupcakes(I cant eat regular bread, yet I can eat cupcakes, go figure) chips, shakes. I have not been honest with myself and others. I eat out of boredom, stress, periods of sadness.

I had a great talk with my PC and she has put me on anti-depression meds, I continue to miss my mother who I lost in May. I find myself crying and eating. I will seek out the help of Hospice and will hopefully be able to start grief therapy.

My appt with Dr. C also went well, I did get another fill. I informed him I would start taking Paxil and he was very encouraging.

my next step is to get back to excising daily, I have started using my resistant bands.

my last slimming episode was Sunday on oatmeal, hmm! but again it was in a restaurant and me talk, talk, talking (I should take the hint, stay out of restaurants) its been a tough journey, yet I have no regrets. I know I will succeed and beat this.

thank you all again

You've come so very far .. . and life throws us all curves - but you're aware there are issues to be worked around, and you ARE DOING IT! Hugs to you - all we can do is pick ourselves up and start the next day the right way - we will get to our goals!

Chris

lachica39 - Wow what a great post! The insight into what's been going on was really something that you had to look deep inside yourself for. I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. Mine's been in and out of the hospital several times in the last couple of years but so far we've gotten her back on her feet each time <knock on wood>. It really makes things hard as far as thinking about yourself goes. But thankfully my band has done it's job and kept me on track.

The reason you don't have problems with cupcakes is that they don't clump as much. Darn it! At least if something gives us problems we have to think about it.

It looks like you have a great support team. That is so important. The fact that you're using them now and being honest with them and yourself will give you some great ammunition to be strong on this journey. I have to tell you how much I admire the soul searching you did and the fact that you acknowledged what was happening and formed a plan. That is such a hard thing to do.

You're going to do great with the band just because you're problem solving instead of trying to place the blame for it not working. You will get back on track faster than you think and it will help you loose all the extra weight.

Hopefully others who are having problems will read your post and be inspired to look at the whole truth of what's going on. This could be anything from eating the wrong foods to grazing to possibly being too tight or not tight enough. Like you they have to stop being afraid to fix the problem. Hats off to you and now we can watch you succeed in your journey.

Vicki

Lachica, I totally agree with Vicki, and since she's said it all so eloquently, I won't bother to reiterate....

I have a question for all of you. How often do you return to your surgeon if you don't need a fill? I've been going about every 6 weeks, but it seems like a waste if I'm not in need of a fill or advice. I am losing approximately 5-10 pounds a month--slower than I'd like, but still ok with me! I don't know if it's worth trekking in to the office (paying for parking truly grates me....) if I don't need anything from them.....I'm at a comfortable place restriction wise and realize the rest is up to me. I've reasoned that it's good for me to check in simply to have them weigh me and watch my progress, but I'm not sure I still need to.....suggestions? Ideas? Thanks in advance! ;)

luv2teech7 - Wow, you're doing great! 5 - 10 pounds per month puts you right in the expectation range. I know it seems slow right now but it will amaze you at how well you did when you look back on your journey. Keep going!

As far as going to your surgeon goes, I know for the first 6 months they like to keep an eye on you. However, if you're past that point, I would be talking to your surgeon about only coming in if you need to. My surgeon cut me loose at around 4 months out. I came in the next month for one more fill but haven't been back since. I have his email if I have a question and I can make an appointment if I need one. Talk to him. Hopefully he'll be reasonable.

Vicki

Thanks, Vicki!

Every time I've met with him, he concludes each time with, "Make an appointment to come back in 4-6 weeks..." My last visit was actually for a slight unfill back in July. My last fill was in the beginning of May. I'm not exactly restricted where I need to be, but during my TOM, I get such huge and horrible restriction that I'm willing to put more effort into the Portion Control on my end and not rely on the band again. I'm also a little gun shy after my last fill. Things were going along swimmingly for about 10 weeks and suddenly I couldn't get anything down. It was like the fill kicked in too much. SO....I went back to see the Physician's Assistant who filled me to take a little out and haven't seen my surgeon since June. To be honest, I don't find him to be all that involved, anyway. He is what he is. I just don't want to not check in if most people do so.....

I live with my band a little looser than most people. I do this because of the fickleness of the band. It does get tighter at certain times. Sometimes you can't figure out why. I also don't want to have to worry if I don't chew things to mush or eat a little faster. I still have my limits but I just don't want to have to stress out about each bite or what I eat.

I also found that restriction doesn't mean a throttle hold on my stomach. When I had this light bulb moment I stopped looking for it. I get satisfied now with a bandster amount. Sometimes I have to sit there and let my spoiled little girl inside quite down and realize I'm done. I love the taste of food and the hardest problem I have is telling myself that I need to take the rest home and enjoy it later. LOL

Being where I am has made it so I can enjoy almost anything I want but allows me the dimming of hunger to make the decission of what I want and not go on a rampage. It really takes the joy out of a good binge when you realize that you can only eat a little before you're full. It's kind of like laying on the floor kicking only one foot. Not very impressive and a waste of time. :cursing:

I would talk to him about not coming in if you don't need to. He probably does the "see you in 4-6 weeks" out of habit. Have a good talk with him and see what he says. Sounds like you're in a good spot for the time being. As another person on another sight says, "Ride it until the wheels fall off!"

Vicki

Teach,

My PA has said since 4 months to only come in on the months that I need something. Otherwise she will see me again in December. I've been back all but 2 months so far. I probably won't go back in Sept. We'll see about Oct.

I'm a little tighter right now than I want to stay but I'm still learning. When I follow the rules it works and when I don't I get a great big God Smack!! I think it is all a matter of clinic choice. And I haven't seen my surgeon since surgery. They say I talked to him right before surgery but I don't remember it. The only time I remember talking to him was at my pre-op appointment 3 weeks before surgery.

I'd call the clinic if you're satisfied with where you are and see if they really need to see you. Ask them when and why.

Hope that helps

I just went back to my dr.s a wk ago today and i had not seen him since my last fill and that was in march, but i go to the support group meeting once or twice a month so i can talk to his nurse there and i have her cell number and email if i have any questions or concerns so that makes me feel good, i see no need to go back unless i am having a problem. This last fill a wk ago,dr. said he would only do micro fills grrrrr. i don't feel any difference at all, i can eat as much as i will allow myself at supper and still want to snack all night so i will wait a couple wks and if things don't change go back again i guess.