Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’d love if everyone checked in here to share their updates, questions, milestones, meals, high and lows and everything in between.

My surgery was May 21st and I’ll love to hear from everyone who had their procedure recently. I’m totally obsessing about how much is everyone else sipping

Yo-Yo Girl from New York City :)

Hey girl. I'm OK. Still having a hard time keeping down food and Protein, but getting all my Fluid in. The protonix and Carafate have worked wonders. How are you doing?

Hey! We're on the other side now lol it's weird. I ended up having 2 hernias that were repaired so I'm curious to see how everyone is doing on recovery too. First three days were not great... everytime I drank my stomach would get so bubbly and cramping pains. 10 days post op and it's much better. I can usually get all or close to goal for Protein and fluids.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey there! I just had my sleeve surgery on Monday. Physically I’m doing really well... I’ve dropped 15 lbs already. I’m being active but not over doing it. My main issue is the fact that I WANT to eat. I tend to get mad that I can’t eat... anyone else having these issues? I need a buddy and support... my family is great but they don’t fully understand since they haven’t gone threw it. Any takers?

Hi guys! Feels good to be on the other side lol. My May 14th date got pushed to Monday May 21st so I’m only 5 days post-op. If I tell y’all how great I feel you guys would believe I’m bragging lol. Zero gas, zero incision pain, no stomach ache most of my discomfort I felt the 1st 2 days and it wasn’t really pain but more like a tightness at the very top of my stomach like under my breast bone. The following 3 days after my gastric bypass I refused to put anything in my mouth not even medicine, I thought the tightness was coming directly from my pouch and I would visualize my pouch ready to bust at the slightest sip. Thurs and Friday after being home I felt better and I even started sipping my Protein Shake. By Friday I was able to finish a whole bottle of Premier Protein, it did take me all day but I got it down. Today I wasn’t able to get even 1/2 a bottle. I did get lots of Water in today, water is my biggest issue because I really dislike how it feels as soon as it lands on my pouch. How much are you guys sipping and how long does it take you to finish it?

Hey there! I just had my sleeve surgery on Monday. Physically I’m doing really well... I’ve dropped 15 lbs already. I’m being active but not over doing it. My main issue is the fact that I WANT to eat. I tend to get mad that I can’t eat... anyone else having these issues? I need a buddy and support... my family is great but they don’t fully understand since they haven’t gone threw it. Any takers?

Lol I totally understand.. I’m hoping once we can move to purée stage and eat more savory flavorful stuff that actually feels heavy in our stomach and gives us satiety unlike these sips of liquids- we’ll feel much better and even mentally we’ll feel more satisfied. I ignore every thought for food that isn’t what I can have. Try to focus on reaching your Water and Protein intake. I’m really grateful for this chance and I’m so in love with my pouch and how it restricts me. Instead direct the frustration into things you like and can have in due time. For me, I can’t wait to be able to have avocado and cheese, think of the foods you can have and soon you’ll be able to incorporate it into your plan. Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, Devin872 said:

I’m not there yet, 1 week to go. I’d love to talk with you about this as I worry I’ll be the same.

I’m on Day 4, and the hernia repair resulting in stitches to my diaphragm seems to cause the most issues. When I walk, it feels tight when I need to breath deeply, but it is getting better.

I’m already sick of all the sweet stuff snd the plain Bone Broth is not so awesome. So today I tried two different things. I had Decaf coffee with a Premier Protein as “creamer”. It took me 3 1/2 hours to finish 1 1/2 large mugs but that was 30g of Protein. I also went and got a large egg drop Soup for lunch and had 1 cup, chewing the eggs before swallowing. That was awesome. Lastly, supper was a Protein2o drink that took about 45min to finish. I got all my chewable vitamins in.

The past two days, I felt a little nauseous in the morning so I took one of my pills, and the rest of the day I felt fine.

sleeping seems to suck. I’ve not yet slept through the night, waking up after 3 hours, probably because I’m a stomach/side sleeper and hate sleeping on my back. Anyone else sleeping propped up?

Bad headache today for some reason so I took some of my Tylenol. Otherwise no pain pills since Day 2.

I’m crazily watching the Great British Bake Off, but I’m not tempted by the sweet stuff. I want some cheese or meat. This will be a long two weeks at full liquid and I hate the aspartame aftertaste already...

I think I may try liquid cream of wheat tomorrow with some unflavored protein as a change of pace. Anyone else have something more creative they are doing for full liquid phase?

On 05/26/2018 at 22:16, Yo-yo girl said:

Lol I totally understand.. I’m hoping once we can move to purée stage and eat more savory flavorful stuff that actually feels heavy in our stomach and gives us satiety unlike these sips of liquids- we’ll feel much better and even mentally we’ll feel more satisfied. I ignore every thought for food that isn’t what I can have. Try to focus on reaching your Water and Protein intake. I’m really grateful for this chance and I’m so in love with my pouch and how it restricts me. Instead direct the frustration into things you like and can have in due time. For me, I can’t wait to be able to have avocado and cheese, think of the foods you can have and soon you’ll be able to incorporate it into your plan. Hope this helps.

I just moved into the soft food phase and it’s a struggle! I work at getting in 2-4 tablespoons! I’m not even close to hitting my Protein (things went south on day 6 and I’m still trying to get through THAT ordeal!) but I did get my 64 oz of Fluid today. Surgery 5/10/18 and down 26 lbs since then. That makes 81 lbs total since I started the NUT visits! I’m almost at my first GW of 228! 2 lbs to go!
I did figure out that I can’t take trazadone anymore. Instant vomiting. Today was my first day back at work. I messed up and ate my 1/4 cup of applesauce too quickly and had a little throw up episode. That’s going to be hard. Eating slowly in a fast paced environment.
I’m just glad I’m not severely dehydrated anymore as of this week! Yay! My incisions have almost completely healed and I have no pain.
I still get the sliming episodes here and there, but that too is getting better.
Basically I think I’m just going to take a little longer to heal and progress than others. Which I’m fine with.
I’m glad everyone is doing so well!

It’s interesting that you say you can’t have more than 2-4tbs. What exactly do you feel? I haven’t felt full at all. I stop eating when I feel tightness or just a feeling I can’t explain, like it doesn’t feel right to have more but I’ve never felt like.. whew I’m stuffed, can’t get another sip in. That scares me because I might over do it or I might just consume much less than my pouch can hold, making my Water requirements even a long drag and Protein than it should be. I haven’t had any problems with nausea or vomiting, even when I crush my pills and add it to my soppy cup with protein it goes down nicely no aftertaste. Tomorrow is day 7 for me and I can actually move to purée stage. I wonder if I can have avocado tuna and cheese or is that for a different stage and we require food that is more runny in consistency. I need to stop by my apt and get my paper work explaining all this, I’ve stayed over my mother’s house since surgery and I don’t want to leave [emoji23]

You have lost a ton of weight. I wasn’t required to lose anything during my 6 months and all I really did was eat all the food I loved, I even gained 9lbs during the process [emoji87] for sure I thought during the preop diet I was going to lose a good 8-10lbs but I cheated too much and ate protein.

17 days post op; surgery was May 10.

ended up being dehydrated at 1 week post op check up & got an IV bag of fluids. No complications after that. Doc has me on 3 week liquid diet so I am still on that. Have 3 week post up in 3 days, after that I move to soft foods and I am sooo looking forward to some crabs. Living in Maryland and it is the season for crabs!

i am getting bored being home for this long but doc said it’s mandatory that RNY patients stay out of work for 3 weeks; hoping to go back June 4th. I am getting in more than 70 ounces of fluids but only about 40 grams of Protein only because it takes so long to drink the Protein Drinks & having to wait 30 minutes before and after.

Highest weight was 264 lbs.

Surgery weight was 242 lbs.

current weight is 229 lbs.

I also have to do 3 weeks liquid diet.[emoji13] I can drink about 4 oz of my shake at a time... over about 30 minutes. So I divided my shake into 4 "meals" throughout the day. I found Bone Broth that has Protein so I'll drink about 4 oz of that at some point during the day and that gets me to about 60 grams of protein for the day. Oh i also found some sugar free Jello in the refrigerated area at Wal-Mart and they have 1 gram of protein lol the shakes take longer for me to drink but if it's just a "clear" liquid it goes down pretty quick and easy.

17 days post op; surgery was May 10.
ended up being dehydrated at 1 week post op check up & got an IV bag of fluids. No complications after that. Doc has me on 3 week liquid diet so I am still on that. Have 3 week post up in 3 days, after that I move to soft foods and I am sooo looking forward to some crabs. Living in Maryland and it is the season for crabs!
i am getting bored being home for this long but doc said it’s mandatory that RNY patients stay out of work for 3 weeks; hoping to go back June 4th. I am getting in more than 70 ounces of fluids but only about 40 grams of Protein only because it takes so long to drink the protein drinks & having to wait 30 minutes before and after.
Highest weight was 264 lbs.
Surgery weight was 242 lbs.
current weight is 229 lbs.

Wow how are you getting all those liquids in? Are you setting an alarm? I tried the alarm thing and 20min was just not enough time for me. I’ve been slacking with my protein because during preop I drank all my fav flavors and now I’m stuck with chocolate. I’m expecting an order from Amazon with caramel flavors sometime today, let’s see how my sipping goes then.

I also have to do 3 weeks liquid diet.[emoji13] I can drink about 4 oz of my shake at a time... over about 30 minutes. So I divided my shake into 4 "meals" throughout the day. I found Bone Broth that has Protein so I'll drink about 4 oz of that at some point during the day and that gets me to about 60 grams of protein for the day. Oh i also found some sugar free Jello in the refrigerated area at Wal-Mart and they have 1 gram of protein lol the shakes take longer for me to drink but if it's just a "clear" liquid it goes down pretty quick and easy.

Wow 4oz is pretty good. Last time I tried doing 4oz It was with my Protein Shake and I started to get tightness in my stomach. I can drink 4oz of Soup though, maybe because it’s not as thick and dense. I actually felt weird about being able to drink 4oz though, I thought I would feel more restricted when I got to 2-3oz. Today I had beef baby food and it was so so good, It was everything I needed. I heated the little jar in the microwave and put a little salt in it and I was able to finish it in like 20min (jar says it’s 2.5oz). I haven’t felt this satisfied since before I started my preop diet. Something about having something i actually like and had flavor that felt so satisfying. I wasn’t supposed to go for it until tomorrow but I felt pretty confident that it wouldn’t harm my pouch.

17 minutes ago, Yo-yo girl said:

Wow how are you getting all those liquids in? Are you setting an alarm? I tried the alarm thing and 20min was just not enough time for me. I’ve been slacking with my Protein because during preop I drank all my fav flavors and now I’m stuck with chocolate. I’m expecting an order from Amazon with caramel flavors sometime today, let’s see how my sipping goes then.

Nope. No alarms. I just carry Water with me wherever I go. I also wake up in middle of the night to pee, so before I go to bed i set up a few ounces of water in the fridge and drink those when i go to the bathroom.

I think it’s also because I don’t take baby sips but I sip. I no longer use the measuring cups but use an 8 ounce water bottle and drink from that.

I need more protein for sure but working on it. The only RTD protein I can handle is Premier Protein clear which is only 20 G protein each so I am trying to get 3 in a day but so far only 2 is possible