Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you get tired of foods very quickly?



Recommended Posts

I started regular foods a little over a week ago.

I'll find something I really like, for example chicken, cheese, lean lunch meat and turkey burgers. I'll eat a few, they settle well and then I'm absolutely sick of them. I hate that it happens because I feel like I'm wasting food but my enjoyment will only last a few meals.

The only thing I can eat on a consistent basis is beef Jerky, Greek Yogurt and some Soups so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My taste would change in time. Generally I found safe foods and stuck with them. Then my taste would change and I had to begin experimenting again until I found something else I liked. The first year is marked by transitions and experimentations.

I found the softer foods (such as home-made chili and soups) went down much easier than harder foods (such as chicken and steak). So I relied on these to a greater degree. I have included some recipes at the end of the following article.

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a hard issue dealing with separating enjoyment and pleasure from the act of eating. Clearly you want to like the taste, but focusing on enjoyment can be problematic. I'd suggest checking out different spices you can add after the fact, like you cook up a bunch of chicken and THEN season it when you set it up for consumption. Variety is important when you are only consuming small amounts of the same thing over and over.

I get your struggle though, I grew up with a large typical Italian family, food was important. The transition has been tough, but worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm the same way, I burn out on food very quickly. But I've been that way my whole life, so not a new thing post surgery. I just keep my diet very varied, so I can continue to enjoy foods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally get this. I'm 6 months out and eating solids WAY better than the first 3 months, but I still tire of the same food quickly. I found for me it works better to grocery shop more often and only buy one of things to eat off of for a few days at a time. Find 3-4 things that you can rotate in a week to eat, but and cook one portion size at a time as that one portion can be eaten by us in 2-3 meals.

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jrsone said:

I started regular foods a little over a week ago.

I'll find something I really like, for example chicken, cheese, lean lunch meat and turkey burgers. I'll eat a few, they settle well and then I'm absolutely sick of them. I hate that it happens because I feel like I'm wasting food but my enjoyment will only last a few meals.

The only thing I can eat on a consistent basis is beef Jerky, Greek Yogurt and some Soups so far.

With some stuff, yes. I've got my staple foods that I basically live on and I've eaten for weeks on end. For me, it just depends on what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

With some stuff, yes. I've got my staple foods that I basically live on and I've eaten for weeks on end. For me, it just depends on what it is.

What are some of your favorites? I try things here or there but want to try new things so I have stuff I can default to if I want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jrsone said:

What are some of your favorites? I try things here or there but want to try new things so I have stuff I can default to if I want.

Well I do a lot of meal prep and try and eat leftovers often.

- I grill chicken (usually thighs or legs) on the grill every Sunday and take them to work throughout the week. I take the skin off to lighten the calorie/fat content. I also make these Wonton "Cupcakes" w/ different recipes. I like the chicken cordon bleu and the lasagna ones. They are so simple to take to work the next day. 30 secs in the microwave, and done.

-I make this Greek "No Pasta" salad with chic peas, cherry tomatoes, edamame, red onion, olives, cucumber, feta cheese, and Greek dressing (homemade). I eat about a half cup a day as my afternoon snack.

-Cottage cheese

-Hard boiled eggs

-Tuna packets, deli style

- Brussel sprouts (I eat 3 big ones for my mid morning snack)

- Fat free cheese slices

-Greek yogurt

-Veggie sticks with greek yogurt & ranch seasoning

-Hummus with wheat crackers or veggie sticks

-Roasted Chic Peas. I make all kinds of flavors. My favorite are the garlic and the honey chipotle.

Edited by AshAsh1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

Well I do a lot of meal prep and try and eat leftovers often.

- I grill chicken (usually thighs or legs) on the grill every Sunday and take them to work throughout the week. I take the skin off to lighten the calorie/fat content. I also make these Wonton "Cupcakes" w/ different recipes. I like the chicken cordon bleu and the lasagna ones. They are so simple to take to work the next day. 30 secs in the microwave, and done.

-I make this Greek "No Pasta" salad with chic peas, cherry tomatoes, edamame, red onion, olives, cucumber, feta cheese, and Greek dressing (homemade). I eat about a half cup a day as my afternoon snack.

-Cottage cheese

-Hard boiled eggs

-Tuna packets, deli style

- Brussel sprouts (I eat 3 big ones for my mid morning snack)

- Fat free cheese slices

-Greek yogurt

-Veggie sticks with greek yogurt & ranch seasoning

-Hummus with wheat crackers or veggie sticks

-Roasted Chic Peas. I make all kinds of flavors. My favorite are the garlic and the honey chipotle.

All that sounds pretty good, thank you I'll check them out.

What kind of crackers do you eat? I know you said whole wheat but Triscuits or Wheat Thins?

I've noticed Triscuits settle well with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Recent Status Updates

    • ms.sss

      Ok...so keeping my daily weight updated on here is getting tedious due to the the daily 0-3 lbs fluctuations.  Soooo...I figure I'm just going to update every 1-2 weeks moving forward.
       
      · 5 replies
      1. FluffyChix

        Yeah, I kinda do it when I see a new low. Then it fluctuates up and down up and down until I finally see a new low. Mine went down to 131 on Saturday but is now back to 133, lol. So I won't log it till I see 131 for a second time.

        I do my daily weight graph in My Fitness Pal. Much easier and it keeps a cool graph!!

      2. ms.sss

        Me too (sort of). I gifted myself a fancy-shmancy smart scale back in January and it wirelessly updates the data to Apple Health in my phone, which in turn automatically updates MFP (among other apps I have). Very hands off on my part. Updating BP was the only manual weight updating I was doing, which has stopped being fun and instead become a job, now that the weight goes up and down so much.

      3. FluffyChix

        LOL the joys of maintenance! ;) NOT!

      4. sillykitty

        Like @FluffyChix I updated at every new low, consequently I'm now listed as my lowest weight. I should probably update it to where I've been maintaining, which is +3 lbs or so from that weight.

      5. FluffyChix

        Nah, keep your low and stay aware of your upper threshold so you don't hit it. :D ;)

    • GreenTealael

      7 days post revision... I am wiped out! I forgot about the energy depletion stage 
      Logically I know there is some fat left for use... But not much
      · 7 replies
      1. FluffyChix

        Yogurt. Matcha yogurt. ;) LOL. I could have thinned down yogurt and kefir on my full liquids phase. Maybe email your RD and ask if that's also on your full liquids. I use Peach and Cream, and Bananas and Cream in my yogurt to thin it into a soup right now. :)

      2. GreenTealael

        I put a call in this morning they will get back to me shortly.

      3. FluffyChix

        Yay!! I bet they will say yes!

      4. GreenTealael

        I bet i will fight them if they say no 😂

      5. Orchids&Dragons

        Hope you get back to your old self soon!

      6. View All Replies
    • demayome

      Day 3 of Liver shrinking diet. 11 days to go. Come on 31JUL. Trying not to get impatient
      · 1 reply
      1. GreenTealael

        💜STAY STRONG💜

    • Krestel

      OMG! I dreamt of cake!!
      As of late, my dreams have been food obsessed. Last night I dreamed of gorging on good old American sheet cake with chocolate frosting. There was white frosting as well. Good thing we can't get that in Sweden! I just hope that I haven't become too engrossed in food. BUT they are only dreams after all.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • GreenTealael

      3 days post op and I want to go to the movies to see The Lion King... #slowdown
      · 13 replies
      1. Krestel

        Awww

      2. VANILLASUCKS

        I went 5 days post op to the movies :)

      3. GreenTealael

        Awww man i could have broken a record 😂

      4. elcee

        I’m going later today with my hubby and daughter

      5. GreenTealael

        I hope its amazing !

      6. View All Replies
  • Trending Topics

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×