Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice Please! I went in for sleeve had to much scar tissue from a lap band from 8 years ago

BUMMED! well i went in for my sleeve on the 8th they did surgery just not the sleeve. they came in and said to much scar tissue from a old lap band that was removed 7-8 years ago. He still a surgery and did remove all the scar tissue so it's still stomach surgery then he said he could do it in 6 weeks. Still on the clear liquid diet even after no sleeve surgery. Over Jello! :) Anyways has anyone else ever had this happen? I'm not sure now if I want to go through another surgery in 6 weeks everything all over again. Still processing this. It has been such a long , long journey then to get woke up with news like this.

Edited by TreeMystic

TreeMystic, I'm so sorry to hear that you weren't able to get your gastric sleeve done, but at least you have the option of getting it done in 6 weeks. Unfortunately I can't relate exactly to what you are going through, but I think that I have a pretty good understanding. I know what it's like to have revision surgery (lapband to sleeve) because I just had it done on April 4, 2018 after having my band for over 11 years. I know that your experience is a lot to process at the moment , but things are going to get better. Six weeks will be here sooner than you know it. good luck to you.

Thank you that was very sweet of you to give me the support :) you did not have scar tissue after 11 years , thats amazing! not sure why i had some its been out for 8 years , well thai you for your kind words :)

TreeMystic, I had HORRIBLE scar tissue! As a matter of fact when the surgeon came to check on me the next morning, he said the only word that he can think of to describe my scar tissue is "EVIL." I will be forever grateful to my surgeon for performing my surgery.

I'm sorry treemystic hopefully it will all work out in the end

Sent from my SM-T380 using BariatricPal mobile app

OMG! This almost happened to me! My surgeon said that I had so much scar tissue from my Lap Band that it caused a lot of extra work, said I really made him "earn his money". My surgery was at least a half hour longer because of it.

I guess I was fortunate that he didn't give up and was able to proceed with the sleeve. But let me tell you, my recovery was nothing like I expected. I saw other sleevers in the hospital up and walking with cheery looks on their faces. I looked like I had been hit by a truck! I also stayed in the hospital an extra day because I just wasn't very functional and I certainly couldn't get enough fluids down. Even once I got home, the recovery was much slower than the reports of others. I spent those first few days not doing a whole heck of a lot. I had no energy, walking back/forth to the bathroom was exhausting and the entire focus of my day was when to be sipping liquids and when my next "feeding" was supposed to happen.

Treemystic, I guess the good news is that your doctor has said that after you heal from this original surgery, you still have the option to get sleeved. Sure, it's a 6 week delay, which I think any one of us would be bummed about. BUT, it is still an option.

Thank you everyone for the impute and support! :)