Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One year later! Update and Photos

Well yesterday was my one-year anniversary since bypass surgery. Like everyone, we all have a unique journey. I have lost about 159 pounds and went from a size 22 to a size 8 or 10. Here is my journey, which includes ulcers, cancer, kidney stones, malnutrition-induced neuropathy, and stenosis. Fun, huh? I'm really happy with my results, but I have a LONG way to go to get healthy. My journey and situation is NOT typical, so for those of you considering surgery, please just know this is one story out of many, but you won't face this same situation.

• Surgery - May 8, 2017. Successful!
  • 10 days later - blood in stool. Had a large ulcer (not uncommon) and spent 4 more nights in hospital. All good.
  • Never felt I could eat much as the weeks and months progressed, but didn't throw up and no pain either. Just couldn't eat more than a small amount before feeling extremely full. Also could not tolerate chicken, scrambled eggs, and other denser foods.
  • September 22, 2017 - Diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. 2cm tumor. Started chemo in October and finished 6 rounds in February. I'm HER2+ so I am continuing with infusions every three weeks (which are not chemo) until October 2018. Chemo affected my appetite and taste. I had no nausea. I already was not eating much and had lost so much weight so fast. Having no desire to eat didn't help. I am SICK of sweet Protein Shakes, pudding, Jello , Soups, cottage cheese, etc. However, I worked fulltime and kept my sprits up and never felt sorry for myself. I am cancer free (none found in any lymph nodes or in the tissue removed), so I feel very happy that I found the lump when I did and can move on. I do have a genetic mutation that was found, so I opted for a double mastectomy, which was performed on March 13, 2018. After losing over 150 pounds, my former 44 DD breasts were very low and flat, so I needed a lift anyway. Now I have them where they should be! Ha. Surgery went well and I'm recovering still.
  • Met with my gastric surgeon two weeks ago and they want me to continue getting B12 shots once a month to help with the neuropathy in my feet brought on by Vitamin deficiency. I am also supposed to up my Protein to try and reach 80 grams per day, which is very tough for me.
  • Tomorrow I am getting my second endoscopic dilation so I can eat more. Dr said it's from inflammation and between 6-20% of patients have to get that done at least once. I had it done in February, but need one now again as I still can barely eat 1/4 of food (more of Soup or softer food). SOOO looking forward to being able to eat a variety of foods soon. It gets frustrating to have such limited choices.

I will start physical therapy because my muscles have atrophied a bit, but need to wait a bit until I recover from my double mastectomy. I didn't ever think I would need that after gastric bypass. My biggest fear was that I would not get to my goal weight of 170 (here I am at 150).

Before and after photos attached. After shots are with a wig as I only have 1/4 inch of hair at the moment!

CourtneySavage_Kristenvincentphotography.jpg

IMG_3781.JPG

IMG_2757.jpg

You are beautiful, amazing and a true inspiration! I hope all of the bad is behind you and you can enjoy your hot new figure...lol

Wow, you look amazing! And your spirit is just unbelievable!! I love it.

Keep going strong, I just know you will get healthier as time goes on. You got this!! Thanks for sharing as well

Getting hit with cancer on the heels of this surgery was a blow but I greatly admire your pragmatic, can-do attitude. Hope the dilation helps with food volume and diversity!! I didnt realize that this was so commonly needed.

ETA: Nice new boobs, btw! :lol: I remember reading (and laughing) when someone described hers after weight loss as tennis balls hanging from tube socks, and now this is becoming me!!

Edited by Apple203

On 05/10/2018 at 2:53 AM ,Savagegirl said:

Well yesterday was my one-year anniversary since bypass surgery. Like everyone, we all have a unique journey. I have lost about 159 pounds and went from a size 22 to a size 8 or 10. Here is my journey, which includes ulcers, cancer, kidney stones, malnutrition-induced neuropathy, and stenosis. Fun, huh? I'm really happy with my results, but I have a LONG way to go to get healthy. My journey and situation is NOT typical, so for those of you considering surgery, please just know this is one story out of many, but you won't face this same situation.

• Surgery - May 8, 2017. Successful!

• 10 days later - blood in stool. Had a large ulcer (not uncommon) and spent 4 more nights in hospital. All good.

• Never felt I could eat much as the weeks and months progressed, but didn't throw up and no pain either. Just couldn't eat more than a small amount before feeling extremely full. Also could not tolerate chicken, scrambled eggs, and other denser foods.

• September 22, 2017 - Diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. 2cm tumor. Started chemo in October and finished 6 rounds in February. I'm HER2+ so I am continuing with infusions every three weeks (which are not chemo) until October 2018. Chemo affected my appetite and taste. I had no nausea. I already was not eating much and had lost so much weight so fast. Having no desire to eat didn't help. I am SICK of sweet Protein Shakes, pudding, Jello , Soups, cottage cheese, etc. However, I worked fulltime and kept my sprits up and never felt sorry for myself. I am cancer free (none found in any lymph nodes or in the tissue removed), so I feel very happy that I found the lump when I did and can move on. I do have a genetic mutation that was found, so I opted for a double mastectomy, which was performed on March 13, 2018. After losing over 150 pounds, my former 44 DD breasts were very low and flat, so I needed a lift anyway. Now I have them where they should be! Ha. Surgery went well and I'm recovering still.

• Met with my gastric surgeon two weeks ago and they want me to continue getting B12 shots once a month to help with the neuropathy in my feet brought on by Vitamin deficiency. I am also supposed to up my Protein to try and reach 80 grams per day, which is very tough for me.

• Tomorrow I am getting my second endoscopic dilation so I can eat more. Dr said it's from inflammation and between 6-20% of patients have to get that done at least once. I had it done in February, but need one now again as I still can barely eat 1/4 of food (more of Soup or softer food). SOOO looking forward to being able to eat a variety of foods soon. It gets frustrating to have such limited choices.

I will start physical therapy because my muscles have atrophied a bit, but need to wait a bit until I recover from my double mastectomy. I didn't ever think I would need that after gastric bypass. My biggest fear was that I would not get to my goal weight of 170 (here I am at 150).

Before and after photos attached. After shots are with a wig as I only have 1/4 inch of hair at the moment!

CourtneySavage_Kristenvincentphotography.jpg

IMG_3781.JPG

IMG_2757.jpg

What a story and there are still chapters to be written. You are brave courageous and I am honored you shared and are sharing your story with us. Keep us updated and. please remember we are surrounding you with our love and prayers. We are virtually walkingbwithbyou every👣of the way.

Amazing courage, and amazing stamina. You look marvelous lady! Bless you and I wish you continued health goals.

Wow! Congratulations lady on your new life...in more ways than one! ((hugs)).

As others have commented, your courage and attitude is very inspiring and offers hope and motivation to us all. Keep on kickin' it! You look totes lovely!!! And you're beautiful hair will grow back--curly! :D Get ready! :)

That's right mama
Fight like a girl
[emoji1490][emoji1490][emoji1490][emoji1490]

HW 270
SW 238
CW 188
VSG 11/7
[emoji471][emoji471][emoji471]

You look fabulous, and your attitude and courage is inspiring !! Congratulations and best wishes for the next chapter of your life!

Such an amazing story! Thank you for sharing. Congrats!

Wow! Bless you! Your are truly an inspiration to me. You look awesome!

You are beautiful, amazing and a true inspiration! I hope all of the bad is behind you and you can enjoy your hot new figure...lol

Thank you! Hope to be a hot mom soon, lol

Wow! Bless you! Your are truly an inspiration to me. You look awesome!

Thank you so much! I hope to be an inspiration but I’m also always inspired by everyone here too.

Such an amazing story! Thank you for sharing. Congrats!

Aww thank you Ash!

You look fabulous, and your attitude and courage is inspiring !! Congratulations and best wishes for the next chapter of your life!

Thank you and I’m cheering you on, too. Love to see everyone’s journey and to finally share my own.