Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my WL surgery on 10/12/17. I just had surgery for kidney stones on 3/30/18. The kidney stone surgery was way worse than the sleeve surgery. I had ureterscopy surgery where they go in an laser the stones thru your urethra. I did pass one stone which was about 5mm and my doctor removed 2 other stones during surgery those were about 9mm each. I had to wear a stent after the surgery and on top of that I had an infection. My doctor wasn’t able to get all the stones because they were inside of my kidneys and she didn’t have access to them.

After all of this I did meet with my dietician for some advice. And she was able to give me some tips.

It’s really hard to manage your diet between the sleeve restrictions and kidney stone restrictions, but I am trying and I’m drinking all the Water I can.

This is what my stones were made up of:

40% Calcium oxalate monohydrate
30% calcium oxalate dihydrate
20% calcium phosphate
20% ammonium Acid urate

I did have kidney stones before my surgery but never stones this size or this many.

My Urologist told me to drink at least 100 oz of water and stay away from animal Protein. Although my dietician says I can have 6 oz or less a day of animal protein. So I guess I’ll see how it goes. I take another x-ray in June to see if I have any additional stones.

I had my WL surgery on 10/12/17. I just had surgery for kidney stones on 3/30/18. The kidney stone surgery was way worse than the sleeve surgery. I had ureterscopy surgery where they go in an laser the stones thru your urethra. I did pass one stone which was about 5mm and my doctor removed 2 other stones during surgery those were about 9mm each. I had to wear a stent after the surgery and on top of that I had an infection. My doctor wasn’t able to get all the stones because they were inside of my kidneys and she didn’t have access to them.

After all of this I did meet with my dietician for some advice. And she was able to give me some tips.

It’s really hard to manage your diet between the sleeve restrictions and kidney stone restrictions, but I am trying and I’m drinking all the Water I can.

This is what my stones were made up of:

40% Calcium oxalate monohydrate

30% Calcium oxalate dihydrate

20% Calcium phosphate

20% ammonium Acid urate

I did have kidney stones before my surgery but never stones this size or this many.

My Urologist told me to drink at least 100 oz of Water and stay away from animal Protein. Although my dietician says I can have 6 oz or less a day of animal Protein. So I guess I’ll see how it goes. I take another x-ray in June to see if I have any additional stones.

Oh you poor thing I am so sorry. This terrifies me honestly.

So are you sticking to protien shakes and supplements?

Have you been on a calcium supplement?

I hope I do not have issues bit I already know I am prone to stones so this is why I started this thread.

I hope they get better. Did they recommend eating or drinking anything other than Water to reduce risk?

Have you been able to get 100oz of water in a day? That is so much and I haven't even been sleeved yet ☹️[emoji25]

I feel for you. I had to have the same surgery as well with the stint a few years ago with my first stone. It had gotten stuck. I passed one right before WL surgery. Still have another one in my kidney. Did your Dr mention the Calcium carbonate vs calcium citrate? What kind of calcium do you take?

Sent from my Pixel XL using BariatricPal mobile app

I feel for you. I had to have the same surgery as well with the stint a few years ago with my first stone. It had gotten stuck. I passed one right before WL surgery. Still have another one in my kidney. Did your Dr mention the Calcium carbonate vs calcium citrate? What kind of Calcium do you take?

Sent from my Pixel XL using BariatricPal mobile app

My dietician suggests that I have a glass a milk or yogurt 3 times a day instead of taking calcium

Oh you poor thing I am so sorry. This terrifies me honestly.
So are you sticking to protien shakes and supplements?
Have you been on a Calcium supplement?
I hope I do not have issues bit I already know I am prone to stones so this is why I started this thread.
I hope they get better. Did they recommend eating or drinking anything other than Water to reduce risk?
Have you been able to get 100oz of water in a day? That is so much and I haven't even been sleeved yet ☹️[emoji25]

Just milk 3 times a day for the calcium. I don’t really like milk by itself though.

My guess is calcium citrate would be better, but it's only a guess.😕