Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shakes and satiety

I'm not talking the first couple of weeks post op but several months out (and further)

But has anyone noticed a substantial difference between satiety and fullness when incorporating Protein Shakes into their diet?

I recently began using several Protein shakes a day for convience when working long hours, and find myself getting much much hungrier despite my protein intake substantially increasing on days where I consume protein shakes.

Ive been looking at literature on solids VS liquids and satiety and there's not a ton of it focused on the subject especially in bariatric patients. And it's a shame because protein shakes will usually have much better macros than real food and are incredibly convient. Anyone know of any literature on the topic or have experienced options

(and no I'm not talking about switching to a liquid diet, just getting maybe 30-40% of daily calories from shakes)

Edited by Mhy12784

I find cutting to one shake a day works for me at this stage- usually in morning. Having the rest of Protein from food- 4 oz chicken or turkey, eggs, yogurt or cheese

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 (2/11/18)
GW#2- 180 (4/2/18)
GW#3- 160
CW 173
5’6”

I couldn't drink the shakes for awhile, they just grossed me out! I have gotten over that and do 1 a day, premier just came out with a peach flavor i happened to try yesterday, so good compared to a few of the other flavors. They do not fill me up or keep me from getting hungry on a side note. My surgeon told me a shake for dinner is a great idea instead of eating. plus your sleeping so your not hungry and your body isn't working to digest food while sleeping.

15 hours ago, atphiladephia said:

Well it’s a slider food. So it leaves the stomach MUCH faster than solid Proteins. I am way more satisfied with solid food than I am with shakes.

This always just seemed weird to me. Even when I Google and read up on slider foods they're described as typically being low Protein high carbohydrate and void of nutrition, empty sources of calories,most of the time. Not to mention when we eat normal food we chew it up substantially breaking it down.

However it does make sense, it's just weird and I don't understand it (protein shakes being a slider food, not sliders in general)

So here's what works for me almost 9 weeks. Protein Drinks help as long as there is enough volume. So I can down PP in about 3 minutes flat. But if I extend it by using it in coffee (either hot or cold), it's much more filling and satisfying. And that's what I do now. I rarely drink just the Protein on its own. I mix it. OR also, adding about 4-6g of Peanut Butter powder to it also makes it more substantial feeling.

Also, there is one green smoothie that I make and can keep in the fridge too. It doesn't cause rebound hunger like other green smoothies I've experimented with -- so far. :) By adding Fiber to your protein sources, it feels more substantial and hangs around longer--or at least that's my experience.

I make a peanut butter banana green smoothie that keeps me going and is huge (about 32oz). So far I use a stick blender. But honestly, I do better with 1 Protein Drink a day and food the rest of the time.

Peanut Butter Banana Protein and Fiber Green Smoothie with Blueberries

Makes 32oz

25g Isopure Banana Cream Protein Powder (or your fave)

6g Peanut Butter Slim powder pb (Vitacost)

6g whole psyllium husks (NOW! brand)

1.5oz chopped frozen spinach

1.25oz frozen blueberries

4oz unsweetened vanilla coconut milk (SO Delicious or your favorite or skim milk)

2-4oz Water

4-8 ice cubes

Nutrition: 184cals; 24g protein; 3g fat; 14g carbs; 7g fiber; 7g net carbs; 4g nat. sugar

Blend everything until very very smooth and creamy. Enjoy as 1 or 2 smoothies.

I do one shake in the morning. I agree, liquids don't give me any satiety. I'm not very hungry in the morning, so I just look at shakes as a way to get to 50% of my Protein goal for the day, not as an actual meal.