Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate it when people post just to post.....

I know there's no way I could take in 1500 on a bady day even woth my low calories Ice cream ...its 70cal

That machine is so wrong ...my doc is being a dick lately .....I've been eating veg Soup most day and 1/2 cup seafood salad ...still can't see that adding up to 2400...

anyways he hooked me up to some breath test theng for 10 mins and it said that I have been taking in 2400 calories a day and that why I haven't lost in a month...my resting rate is 1700..I told him I log my food online and it say it get 1200 to 1400 daily ..he's said if that was true I would be dropping weight like crazy.....have any of u had this test is it true or what...I don't feel it eat that much and no liquid calories at all ...except fat free milk

If that machine is what I think it is, it does measure your BMR (resting rate). But the calories you take in is a guess based on your current rate and how fast you are losing.

I just had a similar conversation with my doctor. I told him I was taking in 450 calories average a day in the 3 weeks after my surgery and he said that was impossible given my rate of weight loss. Um, I don't lie about what I eat or tell myself that this and that doesn't count. I track it all on The Daily Plate and I'm eating stuff that it's clear what I'm eating (unlike going to a restaurant where you are sometimes guessing).

But those sites are inaccurate about some thing -- they always over-estimate how many calories my exercise burns, for example. So who knows.

He also said I need to exercise more and that I agree with. I just started back to the gym last week and this is the first time I've done two days in one week since ... well since a few years ago. So I think that's the real issue. Plus I'm not getting in enough fluids since I started mushies.

Hi guys went for my fill yesterday .25 I could have used more but I hate being to tight...anyways he hooked me up to some breath test theng for 10 mins and it said that I have been taking in 2400 calories a day and that why I haven't lost in a month...my resting rate is 1700..I told him I log my food online and it say it get 1200 to 1400 daily ..he's said if that was true I would be dropping weight like crazy.....have any of u had this test is it true or what...I don't feel it eat that much and no liquid calories at all ...except fat free milk

The machine approximates your metabolism by measuring how much oxygen your muscles are consuming. It cannot tell you how many cals/ day you have been eating, though. Remember, no matter how you approach it, you have to take in less calories / day than your metabolism burns to lose weight.

And.....lets say all the numbers are true. If your metabolism burns 1700, and you take in 1400, you'll lose weight....but not "like crazy" like your doc said. A deficit of -300 cals / day takes a little while to add up to 1 lb lost (I'm purposely keeping the example simple, I know.....my mind is naturally simple).

I agree that the test sounds similar to that given to obtain a resting metobolic rate---the amount of calories you burn a day simply by breathing and being alive. However when I was discussing the test with my surgeon prior to my thyroidectomy, wondering years ago if my rate was extremely low, I understood that you had a prep for the test of no exercise, no caffeine, and other things--------not that it was just given. And when being given it has to be VERY exact....that they plug off your nose, and you breath in and out through a tube in your mouth--------and it measures the oxygen levels to obtain the #. I may be all wrong on the test, and also all wrong on whether it is similar to what you had done!!!

Back when the OP began this thread, there was a bunch of stupidity going around, and no matter what the thread pertained to, some people would just pop in and try to turn it into nonsense....and many times succeeded. Thankfully THEY are no longer around very often, and the OP is!

There was also a point where the more posts you had the higher your rating number was, so people were just saying anything, and posting as much as possible. Glad that went away too!!!

SnT-------hope you are feeling better, hurry back!!

Kat

Posting just to say LOOK AT MY TICKER!! LOOK AT MY TICKER!!

Note the 8 at the beginning of the number on the kg ticker!!

Note the 1 at the beginning of the number on the lb ticker!! WHOOHOOO!!!

:smile2::biggrin::thumbup:

How sweet is everyone for thinking about me!?! Thanks you guys!

I had such an easy time of considering what I was worrying about! The most "pain" I am in is where I assume my port is (biggest bandage) but it's more sore than real pain. I didn't hit the morpheine much at all - mostly to sleep! My surgery was at 8am-ish and I was in a room alert by 11ish (I think). I remember a nurse coming in around 2pm and was surprised how lucid I was.

Oh, back up, the poor woman that tried to do my IV...it's a good thing I'm an empathetic sort b/c I reallyyyyyy wanted to hurt her. I guess after 2 days on liquids I was dehydrated b/c she really had a time finding a vein(?) in my left hand. (Do I really need to be slapped that often?) Then she tried on my left arm which hurt like hell and dug around so much that I almost fainted. Thankfully she got someone to help! I was majorly bitter!

So the rest of yesterday was hanging out with my parents and then another gf and her son came to see me. Aww! She brought me a couple humor books and did I tell y'all that my boss send me flowers Wed? (His wife picked out the arrangement; it's gorgeous!)

Since my mom + grandmother both have a history of blood clots, I had on compression socks and also this contraption that went around my calves that stimulated circulation. I also got 2 blood thinner shots.

Rambling - when I was in pre-op, my nurse kept telling me breathe through my nose b/c I had the oxygen thingers in my nose. I was asked numerous times if I had been diagnosed with sleep apnea. Weird. So they watched my BP, pulse, and oxygen count. It had gotten down to 80 at one point. I brought home some breathing contraption (Voldyne 5000) to help.

My triathalon friend stayed the night w/ me so my parents could sleep in a real bed at my house. She had me up and walking the hall. The first walk w/ my dad was very tiring but the other 2 laps were good!

So anyway - the doc came to see me around 8:20 and said I was good to go. I finally got sprung around 10:30 i think. I didn't sleep at all yesterday afternoon but slept from noon-6pm today! And I only woke up then b/c my mom woke me up! Gah - 3 more weeks of liquids. I would kill for a cracker right now!

I was very happy with the entire hospital staff; they were great!

My throat is sore and my voice is hoarse but I'm thrilled with the amount of pain I have! Question: How long does it take for the gas to head to your shoulder? So far, I don't have that yet.

Again, thanks for everyone thoughts! I am officially in the club!

Woohoo!!

CONGRATULATIONS SNT!!

Welcome to Bandland my dear, and with flying colors!

:smile2:

Woot SnT! If you don't have the shoulder tip pain yet, its possible that you might not get it at all, Ihad it for about the first 5 days.

Posting to say I have to go vote in the local state election today. I have no idea who I am voting for....I'm usually a very informed voter, but this time round the candidates all seem to be a bunch of clowns so who knows who is going to get the 1 on my ballot paper. Ugh.

Welcome to the club, SNT!! I hope your journey to health is an easy one! Now you'll have to update the byline under your name, coz you're no longer "pre-banded"!

And thanks for the congrats :smile2:

Welcome to the club, SNT!! I hope your journey to health is an easy one! Now you'll have to update the byline under your name, coz you're no longer "pre-banded"!

OMG - that's right!!! WOOHOO! :smile2:

PS - i am starving!! fyi

Edited by SickNTired

Congrats SNT! You may not get the shoulder pain. I never did.

Are you a nurse SMS?