Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate it when people post just to post.....

Should have read "I'm not saying the nutritionist is wrong"

Mac, Do the sleeve folks need more Protein because there is a malabsorption issue? My doc / nut didn't give me a "minimum" amount of protein to consume.

Pushing protein and limiting carbs works great for me. I once lost about 50 lbs on the Atkins diet....but I couldn't make Atkins my lifestyle. That's why the band has worked so brilliantly for me. I'm not excluded from eating anything now (besides the doughy foods, of course.....I can eat the "darker" breads if I go slow). The only change is the amount that I eat.

Interesting about not having a minimum. It's so weird that doctors do things so differently.

Plain - if'n I can do math, you're about to be under 300 - woohoo!!!

I was not given a strict amount of Protein to get in during different phases. I was not instructed to even up my amount during pre op! But he did advise increasing it during the weeks following surgery, as it would help with healing. He suggested some clear liquid proteins----and I admit they DID help. Not sure if they helped in healing, but when I began actually drinking them, the fatigue eased.

I found several clear Liquid Protein options at GNC---and whether it matters or not, I don't know, but the girl at the store suggested drinking half in the morning and half in the afternoon so as to get more from it.....but like I say I have no idea if that matters a bit!!! I did it, but as we all know it feels like all you do is drink for awhile following surgery....sip, sip, sip all day long!!!

Since the time I was banded, they have come out with the protein shots----big hits of protein in small amounts of liquid. I have used them following my thyroidectomy---and while not something I would drink just for the fun of it, very doable, and quick to down!

Then once I was moved on to fuller liquids and I could do Protein Shakes, my options opened up a lot more.

Then when I went to a full diet, no one has ever said anything to me about needing more protein than anyone else. The focus of the diet my Dr. recommends is lean protein, and vegetables, followed by fruit, and then the lowly white carb as a last resort!!!

I try to base my eating on health, and a balanced diet, as opposed to eliminating any one food category---or over emphasizing any other----all things in moderation. I know myself well enough to realize the second I think I cannot have something, that is ALL I want! And I will end up binging on it!

It took me a bit longer to get to goal, but I did not want to give up my todays for tomorrow. I did not want to feel deprived every day just to get to goal quicker. So I took it slower, ate cake with my family on birthdays, and had some dressing at Thanksgiving.....but none of it in the amounts I did pre band! And it all eventually come off!

All that said....this was how my Dr. deals with the protein.....but since you will be reporting and seeing YOUR Dr.......I'd listen to him/her!!! LOL

Kat

Plain - if'n I can do math, you're about to be under 300 - woohoo!!!

You, my perceptive friend, are correct!! I'm within a stone's throw. Now, I don't know how long it's been since I was under 300 lbs, ('cause, yanno...I'm a dude, and we just don't weigh) but it's been a while. This past weekend the wife and I took the kids to an amusement park, and I fit very comfortably in all the rides.

This past weekend the wife and I took the kids to an amusement park, and I fit very comfortably in all the rides.

Isn't that the best feeling in the world?

The breaking point for me in deciding to get my band once and for all was trying to get into a ride at disneyland with DH that was supposed to fit 2 adults comfortably. I got stuck in it, in front of a massive crowd and there was NO way in hell DH would have ever fit in with me (he was quite slender at the time). I had to prise myself out of it, and that was a big embarassing struggle. The shame!!!! :thumbup:

Isn't that the best feeling in the world?

The breaking point for me in deciding to get my band once and for all was trying to get into a ride at disneyland with DH that was supposed to fit 2 adults comfortably. I got stuck in it, in front of a massive crowd and there was NO way in hell DH would have ever fit in with me (he was quite slender at the time). I had to prise myself out of it, and that was a big embarassing struggle. The shame!!!! :thumbup:

I saw plenty of that. The staff handled it pretty sensitively, but it still happens in front of a massive crowd. I felt horrible for those poor people.

Posting to post on a Tuesday morning. I forgot my glasses at home, and will now suffer through the day alternating squinting and tilting my head to see the screen...Could I convince everyone to use really large fonts for the remainder of today??? Damn aging process, damned astigmatism...

Good Morning!

It's back to work for me today. I'm not too broken up about it. I just think I never do anything right unless I'm following a routine.

Leave me to my devices and I'm being a very bad girl. :thumbup:

I don't know about most, but my doc says 70-90 g and in their experience, people who push Protein and limit carbs lose more weight and lose less muscle mass than people who don't.

Once we get to goal, we get more carbs.

I'm going to jump in here with my own personal experience and how my surgeon guides his patients through the weight loss process. Doc says to shoot for 62g /daily with occasional carb treats. Throughout my weight loss process, I made sure that MOST days I ingested the required amount of protein and allowed the treats at least once a week or on special occasions. Did not want to deal with deprivation as I did with every other diet I had tried in the past. On those days that I did not meet the required intake, I did not try to make up for it in the following days. Just saw it as normal.

I was 135# throughout my 20's and 30's. I had more flab then than I do now at 137# and at the age of almost forty f'...n fifty three. I do believe in the theory that ingesting protein and few carbs during the weight loss process does help with the loss of muscle mass. Also, I believe that getting enough protein does help with having added energy thus making it easier to get through the weight loss process. Does that help SNT?:laugh:

Woohoo Lulu - our anniv dates are SO close!!! Congrats, gf, you have done sooooo well!!!

YEAH, 2 days & counting....

as far as Protein goes, my dr suggested for a woman my age:eek: to shoot for 50-60gms per day. 50 seems to be the average amt for me & i rely on food as the source of that protein vs bullets or shakes. not to say i won't and don't have a shake every other day or so....just not a given.

i'm not sure if my hair fell out, i'm one that use to have her hair thinned out because of TOO much - i do a shot of Centrum liquid every day & that's it for Vitamins for me....probably should do more:rolleyes:

posting that it looks like rain....luv rain:wub:

It rained cats and dogs here in Houston this morning.

Posting just to post that I am floating trying to get in all of this Water. I can hear the sloshing (is that a real word) in my belly.:biggrin:

slosh (slŏsh) Pronunciation Key

v. sloshed, slosh·ing, slosh·es

v. tr.

1. To spill or splash (a liquid) copiously or clumsily: slosh paint on the floor.
  2. To agitate in a liquid: slosh clothes in a solution of bleach and detergent.

Yes, the typo in my name has finally been corrected. :biggrin: