Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 minutes ago, Bellasoo said:

I’ve found that some people just don’t understand why we want to have a surgery that limits our food intake. One of my dearest friends is overweight as well and he is not happy that I will be having surgery. He thinks I should lose the weight naturally. Last week my brother had his second heart attack, and he is skinny! I just want to live longer than my parents and people just don’t seem to understand that. ☹️

Yes, I think it is hard for some people to realize that the natural route doesn't always work no matter how hard you try. I turned myself into an athlete and pushed myself to complete obstacle course races and lift heavy things. I ate clean the whole time I was doing it. Yet, here I am because even that didn't result in weigh loss. I'm not overweight because of laziness or lack of knowledge, my body just works against me!

2 minutes ago, savannah_Lee said:

Hey! I was just wondering how your veal went? I have mine on 5/4. I don’t know what I’m going into and i kinda want to
Prepare myself!

Hey!

I just wanted to chime in about the psych evaluation. Mine was very relaxed. The doctor and I spoke about my eating habits, my anxiety and depression, and my support system. He wanted to know what changes I was making in preparation for my surgery. I was very honest with him and told him that I eat out of boredom . He suggested some things to help. I then had to take the 300+ question test on a computer. A lot of the questions were repeated in slightly different ways. It ended up being one of the easier appointments that I had to complete.

Yeah mine on April 25th was silky smooth, I had tied myself up in knots worrying because of last time, Dr Kramer was wonderful, I believe I now am where I should have been from the start. Now I feel blessed and I'll share my joy with each and every,one of YOU❤!

So here's the million dollar question - Who, if anyone, are you telling about your surgery?
My husband and kids know and my parents as well. I have yet to tell my brother but I will. I have one friend I will most likely tell as I know she'll be supportive. I don't plan on telling anyone else. I'm new in my job and aren't close enough to anyone here to feel like I want to share. I'm typically a closed book anyway so my general feeling is it's nobody's damn business even if they do notice I'm losing weight rapidly.
What about you guys?

I am only telling the people closest to me. I am a private person and i also tend to get a little in my head about people having opinions on things when they probably arent even giving it a second thought. But its really no ones business but your own and whoever you want to be part of your process! Its your journey! No rules, no need to tell anyone more than youre taking care of yourself.

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

On 4/19/2018 at 6:17 PM, Chrisb428 said:
I find it so interesting how different the preop process is for each person. I keep seeing people talking about having seen the surgeon and stuff early on. The process for me is the opposite. I don't even get a 1 on 1 appt with the surgeon until the very end when everything else is completed.

I saw the surgeon first and he asked questions basically it felt like to see if the surgery was right for me, like i wouldnt just fall back into the same habits and behaviors. Then i had a few things to do for my insurance to cover it. 3 nutritionist appts, psych eval, cardiologist appt, pulminologist gallbladder ultrasound, and bloodwork. I only have 1 nutritionist appt left cardiologist psych bloodwork and im good. Getting all that done in May and hopefully when i see my surgeon again after that we will schedule my surgery for mid to late June.

Edited by Ivy Joel

They weighed me in at every appointment, good luck at yours!

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 [emoji736] (2/11/18)
GW#2- 180 [emoji736] (4/2/18)
GW#3- 160
CW 173
5’6”

What do all those things stand for GW Hw Sw etc?

Goal weight- the amount you or your doctor feel would be best for you
Surgery weight- like is says, how much,you weighed,on hospital scales immediately,prior to surgery
Current weight-how much you weigh when you made this post
High weight- the most you weighed at the start of your journey.
in my case it was OMG I can't weigh THAT much, but I did and it was the final push into Bariatrics ---I promised myself I will NEVER weigh THAT MUCH AGAIN. It didn't look good, feel good 😟and wasn't good for me😦 So now I'm on the downward match toward a healthier more fit,life.

Goal weight- the amount you or your doctor feel would be best for you
Surgery weight- like is says, how much,you weighed,on hospital scales immediately,prior to surgery
Current weight-how much you weigh when you made this post
High weight- the most you weighed at the start of your journey.
in my case it was OMG I can't weigh THAT much, but I did and it was the final push into Bariatrics ---I promised myself I will NEVER weigh THAT MUCH AGAIN. It didn't look good, feel good [emoji45]and wasn't good for me[emoji46] So now I'm on the downward match toward a healthier more fit,life.

I got like GW but the current weight but the other ones i wasnt sure haha. I still have a 4 weeks before i can schedule my surgery so i still have a lot to learn! Thanks for helping me! And good luck on your journey!

It went well, it was short and sweet. She asked me about the support I have around me, what habits I plan on changing to be successful and things like that. It felt like it was more for her benefit than mine, but I suppose that is what an evaluation is. I'm more excited for my dietitian appointment as I think that will be very informative.

My mom had gastric bypass 13 years ago and she has had a very successful story. It’s not an easy fix that’s for sure. She still struggles. But she started at 309 and her lowest weight was 151. She’s gained and lost 50 back and forth a lot. Right now she’s at 178. People ask if it was worth it and she said if she could change anything she would have done it earlier!

I am anticipating a July/August surgery date. I have some pre-op appointments on May 21 and see the surgeon on May 23 at which time I will be scheduled. My insurance auth is all set to go just waiting on schedules at this point.

In the meantime I am on a 1200-1500 calorie diet, logging all meals, tracking macros and walking. I have also taken the initiative to work with an eating disorders therapist to start working through the emotional aspects of this whole process and develop tools that will ensure my success post op.

I find it so interesting how different the preop process is for each person. I keep seeing people talking about having seen the surgeon and stuff early on. The process for me is the opposite. I don't even get a 1 on 1 appt with the surgeon until the very end when everything else is completed.

Me neither, I have all my other appointments first. Then I meet with the surgeon last. I guess different hospitals have different protocols

Age 37, Mom of 2 awesome boys
HW-288 lbs

Started journey 4/19/18

I told my husband and mom that I’m considering it (I’ve already made up my mind though). Today my mom send me a text saying your grandmother thinks you have your thyroid checked first. Meaning that she told my grandma I was thinking about WLS, I was livid. I text back asking her to refrain from talking to anyone else about my weight or personal choices.

HW-288 lbs

Started journey 4/19/18

4 hours ago, NYJenn said:

Me neither, I have all my other appointments first. Then I meet with the surgeon last. I guess different hospitals have different protocols

HW-288 lbs

Started journey 4/19/18

Yeah, I kinda wish I did see him already, it would seem more "real" I stress nonstop that im going to go through the entire process only to have something happen at the end and not be able to have it done. Thats how my luck works...haha!

I do my final nutrition appointment this coming Thursday! Paper work will be submitted either right after that appointment or on Friday. Expected June date for bypass!

Congrats ALF and good luck with your approval!