Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My last diet appointment is on May 18th. I will be getting (hopefully) insurance approval soon after that. So, I should be having my surgery this summer.

I am telling my family (including extended family) and so far only one friend . I am generally a private person and don’t want to have to deal with criticism and opinions when it’s obviously no one’s business, but my own.

I also know many women at work who are obese and may be very curious. On the one hand, some may be very supportive of me and happy for me, while others may be very insecure and jealous . I would not want to deal with any of that kind of negativity . I would rather focus on myself and Celebrate my life decision which I hope will have a huge positive impact on my life .

At the same time, though, I may feel a sense of obligation to share my surgery details with someone who is struggling as much as I have with weight. The empathetic person I am may not be able to not share the details of my weight loss.

What does everyone else plan to do , tell or not tell?

12 minutes ago, newme1962 said:

I am telling my family (including extended family) and so far only one friend . I am generally a private person and don’t want to have to deal with criticism and opinions when it’s obviously no one’s business, but my own.

I also know many women at work who are obese and may be very curious. On the one hand, some may be very supportive of me and happy for me, while others may be very insecure and jealous . I would not want to deal with any of that kind of negativity . I would rather focus on myself and Celebrate my life decision which I hope will have a huge positive impact on my life .

At the same time, though, I may feel a sense of obligation to share my surgery details with someone who is struggling as much as I have with weight. The empathetic person I am may not be able to not share the details of my weight loss.

What does everyone else plan to do , tell or not tell?

I've only told a few people that I am close with at work. They are supportive so far.

My sister-in-law has had the surgery so I have told both she and my brother. I have chosen to not tell my sister. She is not in favor of this kind of surgery so I don't want that negativity right now.

Hellooo there,

My first post eeeeks!! Im finally going for the sleeve 27th July. Its my 4th date as last summer the other 3 dates got pushed back and I failed my heart stress test due to my arthritic knee...I need the surgery so my knee doesn't hurt any more...boy has it been a vicious circle lol anyway I was so fed up with that I gave up but later on I decided that it hasn't beaten me and I want this more than ever. In December I had a cardio-lite test and failed that due to me reacting to the meds they gave me...not funny when 6 women run away from you cos your wanting to throw up lol soooo had to have a PET/CT scan which went like a dream and I passed that...it took months for the insurance to ok that one. My Dr said ok lets go, 27th it is, but you might need a breathing test...not happy but maybe I dont need it if the heart Dr said I was clear. Now hubby is due to be working away May/June/July so I said tough you have to come home for 2 weeks just in case and he booked them lol I feel so much better this time around, maybe Ive made peace with it all and know that I dont want to breath like crap (asthma) anymore and I want to be able to run around and go down Water slides with my 14 year old...I've never been down one! I haven't told my family, I want to and I think they would support my decision but there's just a hint of doubt about that. I also want to surprise them when I go home next summer for my nieces wedding...would be a great goal to aim for. We shall see =) Any way its nice meeting you all, cant wait to see the before and after pics =)

Hello! I dont have a surgery schedule date but i only have 4 more weeks until all my pre requisite appointments are met for insurance so once thats all done and i get the official insurance approval it should be maybe 3 weeks after that. Im thinking early late June early July! Getting real!

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Suesloosinit and Ivy Joel I may be doing it at a similar time, at any rate I'll follow your stories you follow mine, we will beat all the bugaboo and the 3 of us will be surgical successes.😝

23 hours ago, Bellasoo said:

My last diet appointment is on May 18th. I will be getting (hopefully) insurance approval soon after that. So, I should be having my surgery this summer.

18 hours ago, Suesloosinit said:

Hellooo there,

My first post eeeeks!! Im finally going for the sleeve 27th July. Its my 4th date as last summer the other 3 dates got pushed back and I failed my heart stress test due to my arthritic knee...I need the surgery so my knee doesn't hurt any more...boy has it been a vicious circle lol anyway I was so fed up with that I gave up but later on I decided that it hasn't beaten me and I want this more than ever. In December I had a cardio-lite test and failed that due to me reacting to the meds they gave me...not funny when 6 women run away from you cos your wanting to throw up lol soooo had to have a PET/CT scan which went like a dream and I passed that...it took months for the insurance to ok that one. My Dr said ok lets go, 27th it is, but you might need a breathing test...not happy but maybe I dont need it if the heart Dr said I was clear. Now hubby is due to be working away May/June/July so I said tough you have to come home for 2 weeks just in case and he booked them lol I feel so much better this time around, maybe Ive made peace with it all and know that I dont want to breath like crap (asthma) anymore and I want to be able to run around and go down Water slides with my 14 year old...I've never been down one! I haven't told my family, I want to and I think they would support my decision but there's just a hint of doubt about that. I also want to surprise them when I go home next summer for my nieces wedding...would be a great goal to aim for. We shall see =) Any way its nice meeting you all, cant wait to see the before and after pics =)

17 hours ago, Ivy Joel said:

Hello! I dont have a surgery schedule date but i only have 4 more weeks until all my pre requisite appointments are met for insurance so once thats all done and i get the official insurance approval it should be maybe 3 weeks after that. Im thinking early late June early July! Getting real!

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Welcome new members!!

First post! One of my qualifications was to have a group therapy!! Hopefully I’ll have some back up here!! I don’t have a surgery date yet but my psych test is may 4th! If all goes well I’m going cinco de mayo drinking the 5th[emoji23]

I told one of my girlfriends last night. She's the only one I plan on telling as I knew she would be supportive. We had a long discussion about it and she confided in me that she's been thinking about it too but hasn't been able to find the time to really research it. So I think the conversation was good and my experience may help her move forward. It was freeing to be able to talk to someone about it, but she's the closest friend I have and I don't plan on talking to anyone else besides my husband like that.

I just got off the phone with my doctor. I had my EDG and everything looked good for my sleeve. We are thinking late June for my surgery date.

Ive lost 26 pounds on the pre surgical diet and I’m so excited.

Good luck to everyone here 😊

3 minutes ago, savannah_Lee said:

First post! One of my qualifications was to have a group therapy!! Hopefully I’ll have some back up here!! I don’t have a surgery date yet but my psych test is may 4th! If all goes well I’m going cinco de mayo drinking the 5th

Welcome Savannah! We can be your secondary group support!

Just now, Ylime said:

I told one of my girlfriends last night. She's the only one I plan on telling as I knew she would be supportive. We had a long discussion about it and she confided in me that she's been thinking about it too but hasn't been able to find the time to really research it. So I think the conversation was good and my experience may help her move forward. It was freeing to be able to talk to someone about it, but she's the closest friend I have and I don't plan on talking to anyone else besides my husband like that.

I’ve found that some people just don’t understand why we want to have a surgery that limits our food intake. One of my dearest friends is overweight as well and he is not happy that I will be having surgery. He thinks I should lose the weight naturally. Last week my brother had his second heart attack, and he is skinny! I just want to live longer than my parents and people just don’t seem to understand that. ☹️

1 minute ago, savannah_Lee said:

Hey! I was just wondering how your veal went? I have mine on 5/4. I don’t know what I’m going into and i kinda want to
Prepare myself!

It went well, it was short and sweet. She asked me about the support I have around me, what habits I plan on changing to be successful and things like that. It felt like it was more for her benefit than mine, but I suppose that is what an evaluation is. I'm more excited for my dietitian appointment as I think that will be very informative.