Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holidays and traveling?

I am just curious if anyone has any issues feeling left out during holidays and traveling. Since most everything these days revolves around food I'd like to hear some experiences emoji4.png

Edited by dreamingofasleeve

Trying food isn't eating the whole 9 courses. But having said that - food isn't the goal to going to Europe is it? I thought it was about the experience. Like seeing monuments, art galleries, museums, mountains, shopping, hiking, etc. Where are you going? Get excited about the places.

Trying food isn't eating the whole 9 courses. But having said that - food isn't the goal to going to Europe is it? I thought it was about the experience. Like seeing monuments, art galleries, museums, mountains, shopping, hiking, etc. Where are you going? Get excited about the places.

Your right it's not all about the food, and right now I have a bad relationship with food which is why I want surgery.

I have changed my habits drastically and follow a low carb diet.

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to eat Pasta in italy and waffles in Belgium.

I have heard some people can't tolerate carbs after surgery... Which may be a good thing my husband says... And I agree.

I am going to Paris, Brussels, & Amsterdam in a few months! I am crazy excited and I don't think I'll be sleeved by then but I just wanted to see what others thought.

I have my first appointment for wls next week. I am nervous and excited just trying to do all the research I can.

Pasta is not attractive to me anymore after my sleeve. How about an fish stew or steamed mussels - mmm yum. Same in Paris - Dover Sole Meuniere - yep browned butter and wine reduction sauce with some asparagus as a side. Get eggs - crepes instead of waffles...with fresh fruit. Picture some skinny b***h dressed in high designer fashions eating at an outdoor café - is she going to ruin that figure with a WAFFLE! I think not!

Imagine your skinny self getting her picture taken in front of the Eiffel Tower - ruin that with a WAFFLE! I think not! LOL

I will warn you however, the bread is incredible and european butter too. Do eat some, but be picky!

Edited by Sosewsue61

Pasta is not attractive to me anymore after my sleeve. How about an Italian fish stew or steamed mussels - mmm yum. Same in Paris - Dover Sole Meuniere - yep browned butter and wine reduction sauce with some asparagus as a side. Get eggs - crepes instead of waffles...with fresh fruit. Picture some skinny b***h dressed in high designer fashions eating at an outdoor café - is she going to ruin that figure with a WAFFLE! I think not!
Imagine your skinny self getting her picture taken in front of the Eiffel Tower - ruin that with a WAFFLE! I think not! LOL

Your right. I just need to change what I am excited about...
Haha this reminds me of a quote I once saw that read...
"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."
I unfortunately have been chubby my whole life so Ive never felt that feeling.
But I am so ready to feel comfortable in my own skin.
You've put it in perspective for me...

Sent from my Pixel using BariatricPal mobile app

You’re going to Europe! How exciting!!! I lived in Greece for 15 years but I’ve been to all those countries. Just some food for thought (pun intended lol) Pasta in Italy is not the same as North Americans make it/see it. It’s a pre-appetizer served before the salad usually and very light on the sauce. So technically you only eat 1-2 forkfuls. That being said, the Italians make some mean veal and beef and lamb dishes, which is a great way to get your Protein and don’t be afraid to try different things!
Then there’s the French. They focus on quality, not quantity, so the portions will not be what we are used to in the US/Canada.
I’m soooo jealous! I hope you enjoy your trip [emoji4]

You’re going to Europe! How exciting!!! I lived in Greece for 15 years but I’ve been to all those countries. Just some food for thought (pun intended lol) Pasta in Italy is not the same as North Americans make it/see it. It’s a pre-appetizer served before the salad usually and very light on the sauce. So technically you only eat 1-2 forkfuls. That being said, the Italians make some mean veal and beef and lamb dishes, which is a great way to get your Protein and don’t be afraid to try different things!
Then there’s the French. They focus on quality, not quantity, so the portions will not be what we are used to in the US/Canada.
I’m soooo jealous! I hope you enjoy your trip [emoji4]

You lived in Greece for 15 years?! Amazing!
I am obsessed with the thought of living abroad ahha it's like a new start where no one knows who I am [emoji23]
Yes I have come to realize I can try things but the whole point of this surgery is to change my habits. Instead of eating a 2lb bowl of Pasta you can just have a bite and still enjoy it!
I am so excited I don't expect I'll be sleeved by then but I am just curious about how everyone feels [emoji4]

Sent from my Pixel using BariatricPal mobile app

It's been about twenty years, but I still remember eating a chicken dinner in Montmartre . . . fantastique! One thing about traveling--you'll be doing tons of walking, so you have a little extra wiggle room in terms of what you eat. Have fun; maybe think of some of the meals as your last indulgence, although, to be fair, when enough time has passed after surgery, you'll be able to eat just about anything--it's learning that isn't a good idea that's so important in the long run. The surgery just makes it a lot easier to learn.

24 minutes ago, XYZXYZXYZ1955 said:

It's been about twenty years, but I still remember eating a chicken dinner in Montmartre . . . fantastique! One thing about traveling--you'll be doing tons of walking, so you have a little extra wiggle room in terms of what you eat. Have fun; maybe think of some of the meals as your last indulgence, although, to be fair, when enough time has passed after surgery, you'll be able to eat just about anything--it's learning that isn't a good idea that's so important in the long run. The surgery just makes it a lot easier to learn.

We walk so much when we travel! I went to Scotland last year and didn't gain a pound even though i ate whatever i wanted. that being said we did average about 15 miles a day...

i am so excited! If i am not sleeved ill definitely try what i want but i will still have to restrict myself especially if im on pre-op plan or anything they need me to do to qualify for surgery!

Yes i believe this surgery definitely makes it easier to make better decisions!

You look like your doing amazing!

I totally get what you are saying. I love to travel and experiencing the food is a big part of my enjoyment. I'm actually going to Scotland, Rome & Egypt this year. Two are big food destinations for me, and the other is a beer destination :)

For me, there is no way I am going to go to these places and eat Protein Bars & salads. I plan to enjoy and experience all the different food. Thanks to my sleeve though it will just be in much smaller quantities. I figured those indulgences will be balanced with a lot of walking and general higher activity level. If I have gained weight, when I return I know I can reset and buckled down and get it back off. I get 3 weeks of vacation a year, I'm comfortable with splurging for 3 and being on plan for the other 49.

I totally get what you are saying. I love to travel and experiencing the food is a big part of my enjoyment. I'm actually going to Scotland, Rome & Egypt this year. Two are big food destinations for me, and the other is a beer destination [emoji4]
For me, there is no way I am going to go to these places and eat Protein Bars & salads. I plan to enjoy and experience all the different food. Thanks to my sleeve though it will just be in much smaller quantities. I figured those indulgences will be balanced with a lot of walking and general higher activity level. If I have gained weight, when I return I know I can reset and buckled down and get it back off. I get 3 weeks of vacation a year, I'm comfortable with splurging for 3 and being on plan for the other 49.

Yes! I cannot agree more! Im glad someone understands what I am saying.
I don't want to go gorge myself but I do want to experience the food and culture. We walk so much on vacation, and I totally understand being restricted but still trying all the things you want... And yes I travel literally maybe 3 weeks out of the year at most I think that's acceptable.
How is it making sure you get your Water in while vacationing? How long have you been sleeved?
Have you had any issues with your sleeve and eating certain things, and drinking beer?
I am also a beer lover but I have been curious about the alcohol and carbonated drinks. I know it doesn't have any effect on some. But others can't drink it.
I went to Scotland last year. Edinburgh is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever been too! Is it your first time? [emoji2]

I'm going on vacation and on a cruise 8 weeks after surgery. It's cutting close, had hoped to have surgery by January instead of May. Anyways, I'm nervous about my recovery and how I'm going to feel. This will be my first cruise and won't be able to indulge but that's ok. Those days are over. lol

1 hour ago, +Wendy+ said:

I'm going on vacation and on a cruise 8 weeks after surgery. It's cutting close, had hoped to have surgery by January instead of May. Anyways, I'm nervous about my recovery and how I'm going to feel. This will be my first cruise and won't be able to indulge but that's ok. Those days are over. lol

You wont be able to indulge but you can still try things :)

i think a cruise is probably an awesome way to have your first vacation post wls! Where are you visiting?

Congrats on getting a surgery day! hope recovery goes well!

I am still pre surgery as well but i am ready to be sleeved!

Edited by dreamingofasleeve

30 minutes ago, dreamingofasleeve said:

Yes! I cannot agree more! Im glad someone understands what I am saying.
I don't want to go gorge myself but I do want to experience the food and culture. We walk so much on vacation, and I totally understand being restricted but still trying all the things you want... And yes I travel literally maybe 3 weeks out of the year at most I think that's acceptable.
How is it making sure you get your Water in while vacationing? How long have you been sleeved?
Have you had any issues with your sleeve and eating certain things, and drinking beer?
I am also a beer lover but I have been curious about the alcohol and carbonated drinks. I know it doesn't have any effect on some. But others can't drink it.
I went to Scotland last year. Edinburgh is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever been too! Is it your first time?

I'm honestly really bad with Water. It's the only thing that hurts my sleeve. Even without the pain from water, I just find drinking large quantities a chore. So to be completely honest I'm sure I won't get my water in while traveling. I don't get my water in when I'm at home, and I don't get it in when I travel domestically for work. I have never had any issues from dehydration. So even though I make an effort to drink more water, I'm rarely near 64 oz. Not advocating this, just reality for me.

I'm 9 weeks out from being sleeved. My sleeve has been relatively trouble free. As I mentioned I have some stomach pain and nausea with an empty stomach and when I put water on an empty stomach. No food has upset my stomach at all. Water and Vitamins are the only things, ironically!

I have had beer a few times at 4 weeks out. The carbonation didn't bother my stomach. I didn't have any taste for it though. Most of it I just let get warm and flat, and then it really wasn't appealing. I haven't had any since, because the week I had beer, I had a few cocktails as well. After I got home from that trip (business) I had gained 2 lbs despite averaging only 700 calories/day, including the alcohol. So considering I didn't enjoy drinking, I've sworn it off for the time being, as I don't want to sabotage my weight loss. I will try it again in Scotland, even though I won't be at goal yet. I'm not sure if I will enjoy it again, but I'll definitely give it a shot.

Yep, it will be my first time to Scotland, I'm looking forward to it! Have you been to any of your locations before? I loved Paris, but didn't spend long enough there and want to go back. I've never been to Amsterdam or Brussels before, I'm envious!