Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holidays and traveling?

Well i am glad it has been a good journey so far! I hear it will get better a lot of people are intolerant to Water at first! That is good you haven't had any dehydration issues! that terrifies me honestly! Isn't that funny that water and Vitamins are what give you trouble haha. Dang it! how did you do with Protein Shakes?

Ah yeah i can see alcohol doing that, i am not an avid drinker but i dont mind it every once in a while and honestly its usually during travel! But yeah i would avoid it if it stalled my weight loss too! You seem like you are doing amazing though! We are the same height and basically same weight (starting) i am excited to follow your journey since we have a similar BMI!

Yes Scotland was AMAZING the people, the weather (i like mild weather not hot), the architecture! Where are you staying? We thoroughly enjoyed Edinburgh over Glasgow its much older but they both are really cool and the train ride in between cities is so short! like 50 mins each way!

No i have never been to Paris, Brussels, or Amsterdam! I am soo excited! I have heard amazing things about paris so i am really looking forward to it! Anything you did there that you would reccommend i know you say you didnt spend much time there but i am curious :)

Also Italy was a close second on our list i have heard nothing but good things about Rome! I love Europe in general! If i could move there i probably would!

55 minutes ago, +Wendy+ said:

I'm going on vacation and on a cruise 8 weeks after surgery. It's cutting close, had hoped to have surgery by January instead of May. Anyways, I'm nervous about my recovery and how I'm going to feel. This will be my first cruise and won't be able to indulge but that's ok. Those days are over. lol

Unless you have complications, you should be perfectly fine at 8 weeks. I started traveling for work after 3 weeks, and all has gone well.

As far as food goes. I personally don't find food on cruise ships to be all that great. There is a lot of it, but it's all pretty mediocre IMO. So one of the benefits of the sleeve for me (and others!) is I have no physical hunger. So that makes it easier to make good choices. So I have found it easier to skip over the bread and the carbs, and have lean Proteins instead. I know I wouldn't find the cruise ship food appealing enough to tempt me wildly off plan.

Another good thing, is 8 weeks out your stomach capacity will be pretty small. So if you do give into temptation (no one is perfect), your sleeve will limit the damage you can do. We have to retrain ourselves how to eat, but the sleeve is a good safety net!

23 minutes ago, dreamingofasleeve said:

Well i am glad it has been a good journey so far! I hear it will get better a lot of people are intolerant to Water at first! That is good you haven't had any dehydration issues! that terrifies me honestly! Isn't that funny that Water and Vitamins are what give you trouble haha. Dang it! how did you do with Protein Shakes?

Ah yeah i can see alcohol doing that, i am not an avid drinker but i dont mind it every once in a while and honestly its usually during travel! But yeah i would avoid it if it stalled my weight loss too! You seem like you are doing amazing though! We are the same height and basically same weight (starting) i am excited to follow your journey since we have a similar BMI!

Yes Scotland was AMAZING the people, the weather (i like mild weather not hot), the architecture! Where are you staying? We thoroughly enjoyed Edinburgh over Glasgow its much older but they both are really cool and the train ride in between cities is so short! like 50 mins each way!

No i have never been to Paris, Brussels, or Amsterdam! I am soo excited! I have heard amazing things about paris so i am really looking forward to it! Anything you did there that you would reccommend i know you say you didnt spend much time there but i am curious :)

Also Italy was a close second on our list i have heard nothing but good things about Rome! I love Europe in general! If i could move there i probably would!

Oh, I forgot about Protein Drinks. I have to add whey Protein Isolate to the list of things that bother my stomach. I was fine the first few weeks, but then anything with whey protein in it made me miserably nauseous. I had to look at a lot of labels, but I've now found Protein Shakes and bars, and protein Soups that agree with me.

I'm a social drinker only. So in someways that has made not drinking better, and some ways it has made it worse. It's better because I'm not tempted by drinking daily, and when I'm out not having a taste for it makes it easy for me to have water and be the DD (for once!). But it means I have to make up a lot of excuses for not drinking. I haven't shared my WLS surgery at work, so me not drinking leads to a lot of questions. So with you only drinking when you travel should be easy. You can choose to indulge moderately when you travel if you want, but it won't be a daily or weekly thing you are trying to avoid.

Thanks, I wish my weight loss was faster, but it's coming off (but not this week, grr!). Yeah, I'm excited for you to get sleeved, and see how you do because of our similar stats.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Scotland. I'm going to be there for 1.5 weeks, so plan to do Edinburgh, Glasgow & then get up into the NW area. I'm glad to hear the people were nice. I've heard some mixed reviews on that. I know in Ireland the people were one of the best parts of the trip. Actually the weather is what made us choose Scotland. I had a window for work to take vacation in July, and we wanted to avoid the heat, so Scotland it is!

Paris, oh, that was my first trip to Europe and it was a whirlwind. We did all the touristy stuff, Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysee, Louvre, Notre Dame, etc. What I wished we had had more time for was just to wander around and soak it in. The city itself is a tourist attraction. I'd also suggest choosing your neighborhood in an area where there are some Parisians so you'll have local cafes, bakeries, etc. We stayed in the Latin Quarter. It was in the heart of the tourist district but had plenty of local flavor.

I love Italy. This will be my second trip to Rome, and 4th trip to Italy total. I'm looking forward to going back as a more experienced tourist. I don't usually repeat destinations (too many places, too little vacation time!), but Rome is my friends number dream vacation, so I'm going back.

Any tips for Scotland? Did you drive at all?

Pasta is not attractive to me anymore after my sleeve. How about an fish stew or steamed mussels - mmm yum. Same in Paris - Dover Sole Meuniere - yep browned butter and wine reduction sauce with some asparagus as a side. Get eggs - crepes instead of waffles...with fresh fruit. Picture some skinny b***h dressed in high designer fashions eating at an outdoor café - is she going to ruin that figure with a WAFFLE! I think not!
Imagine your skinny self getting her picture taken in front of the Eiffel Tower - ruin that with a WAFFLE! I think not! LOL
I will warn you however, the bread is incredible and european butter too. Do eat some, but be picky!

They say if we want to be skinny eat like a skinny person. Yikes if keep saying that to myself like a mantra I may finally be able to do that. You can do this. All is good.

4 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

Oh, I forgot about Protein Drinks. I have to add whey Protein Isolate to the list of things that bother my stomach. I was fine the first few weeks, but then anything with whey Protein in it made me miserably nauseous. I had to look at a lot of labels, but I've now found Protein Shakes and bars, and protein Soups that agree with me.

I'm a social drinker only. So in someways that has made not drinking better, and some ways it has made it worse. It's better because I'm not tempted by drinking daily, and when I'm out not having a taste for it makes it easy for me to have Water and be the DD (for once!). But it means I have to make up a lot of excuses for not drinking. I haven't shared my WLS surgery at work, so me not drinking leads to a lot of questions. So with you only drinking when you travel should be easy. You can choose to indulge moderately when you travel if you want, but it won't be a daily or weekly thing you are trying to avoid.

Thanks, I wish my weight loss was faster, but it's coming off (but not this week, grr!). Yeah, I'm excited for you to get sleeved, and see how you do because of our similar stats.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Scotland. I'm going to be there for 1.5 weeks, so plan to do Edinburgh, Glasgow & then get up into the NW area. I'm glad to hear the people were nice. I've heard some mixed reviews on that. I know in Ireland the people were one of the best parts of the trip. Actually the weather is what made us choose Scotland. I had a window for work to take vacation in July, and we wanted to avoid the heat, so Scotland it is!

Paris, oh, that was my first trip to Europe and it was a whirlwind. We did all the touristy stuff, Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysee, Louvre, Notre Dame, etc. What I wished we had had more time for was just to wander around and soak it in. The city itself is a tourist attraction. I'd also suggest choosing your neighborhood in an area where there are some Parisians so you'll have local cafes, bakeries, etc. We stayed in the Latin Quarter. It was in the heart of the tourist district but had plenty of local flavor.

I love Italy. This will be my second trip to Rome, and 4th trip to Italy total. I'm looking forward to going back as a more experienced tourist. I don't usually repeat destinations (too many places, too little vacation time!), but Rome is my friends number dream vacation, so I'm going back.

Any tips for Scotland? Did you drive at all?

Bummer, at least you have found something that works for you though! I am hoping that i do ok after surgery and am able to tolerate most things!

I too am a social drinker i usually only have a few drinks and really only get drunk maybe twice a year so cutting it isnt an issue. I dont plan to share my journey with anyone either so i am sure i will get some weird responses at holiday gatherings ect. But that is ok! I am totally ok with it haha just keeping it between my husband and i.

Yeah i am curious also! I haven't really found a lot of people with my same w/h so that is cool! Well your stat says you are 34.4 pounds down that is amazing! i bet it feels slow whenever i loose weight i never feel different and its hard to trust the process when its slow, but it looks like its working! I have seen a lot of people not loose pounds but they are fitting into clothes that haven't fit in years! so something is happening! Have to watch for those No scale Victories too!

We stayed in Scotland for 9 days. I would highly recommend going to Stirling castle & the National Wallace monument in Stirling. It was so beautiful also scary to climb to the top but what a view! Also if you have ever watched brave heart it was cool to see! We took a train from Glasgow all the way up to Mallaig. So cool it is rated one of the most beautiful train rides in the world. You get to see the highlands, lochs and Scottish coos on the way. Also on this ride you actually cross the famous bridge in the harry potter flying car scene. It is a long ride but so so beautiful. It ends in a little coastal town that is so quaint, you can also get to the isle of sky from here. There is a really cool very old graveyard in Glasgow called the Necropolis. It has amazing views and some really cool old graves and monuments its worth a look around! The Scott monument in Edinburgh is really cool. just take a train to Waverley station and go outside in the heart of Edinburgh it is unlike anything. walk the royal mile and try a scotch pie, there is a place in Edinburgh called Pie maker. Amazing and super cheap! Of course try haggis, it sounds scary but it is actually pretty good and what Scotland is known for. :) i could recommend all day haha everything there is beautiful!

Weve had a hell of a time trying to decide between Italy or France ect. i have hear so much good about italy!

They say if we want to be skinny eat like a skinny person. Yikes if keep saying that to myself like a mantra I may finally be able to do that. You can do this. All is good.

to be fair not all skinny people eat well haha...

My old roommate is 110 pounds and he eats garbage constantly.

Some of us just arnt blessed with a forgiving metabolism. Myself included. Ive always been the chubby kid [emoji20]

But I totally know what you mean eat healthy be healthy [emoji23]

10 hours ago, +Wendy+ said:

I'm going on vacation and on a cruise 8 weeks after surgery. It's cutting close, had hoped to have surgery by January instead of May. Anyways, I'm nervous about my recovery and how I'm going to feel. This will be my first cruise and won't be able to indulge but that's ok. Those days are over. lol

I’m also going on a cruise 7 weeks after being sleeved. This will be my 31st cruise, but I’m already mentally planning how I will be successful. I will still be on purée foods then. Lots of Soup and yogurt for me. I’ll be taking Protein Shakes and unflavored Protein Powder to add to things.

I’m also going on a cruise 7 weeks after being sleeved. This will be my 31st cruise, but I’m already mentally planning how I will be successful. I will still be on purée foods then. Lots of Soup and yogurt for me. I’ll be taking Protein Shakes and unflavored Protein Powder to add to things.

How much of the Protein drinks and powder will you be allowed to take on board?

On 4/13/2018 at 11:48 AM, dreamingofasleeve said:

Bummer, at least you have found something that works for you though! I am hoping that i do ok after surgery and am able to tolerate most things!

I too am a social drinker i usually only have a few drinks and really only get drunk maybe twice a year so cutting it isnt an issue. I dont plan to share my journey with anyone either so i am sure i will get some weird responses at holiday gatherings ect. But that is ok! I am totally ok with it haha just keeping it between my husband and i.

Yeah i am curious also! I haven't really found a lot of people with my same w/h so that is cool! Well your stat says you are 34.4 pounds down that is amazing! i bet it feels slow whenever i loose weight i never feel different and its hard to trust the process when its slow, but it looks like its working! I have seen a lot of people not loose pounds but they are fitting into clothes that haven't fit in years! so something is happening! Have to watch for those No scale Victories too!

We stayed in Scotland for 9 days. I would highly recommend going to Stirling castle & the National Wallace monument in Stirling. It was so beautiful also scary to climb to the top but what a view! Also if you have ever watched brave heart it was cool to see! We took a train from Glasgow all the way up to Mallaig. So cool it is rated one of the most beautiful train rides in the world. You get to see the highlands, lochs and Scottish coos on the way. Also on this ride you actually cross the famous bridge in the harry potter flying car scene. It is a long ride but so so beautiful. It ends in a little coastal town that is so quaint, you can also get to the isle of sky from here. There is a really cool very old graveyard in Glasgow called the Necropolis. It has amazing views and some really cool old graves and monuments its worth a look around! The Scott monument in Edinburgh is really cool. just take a train to Waverley station and go outside in the heart of Edinburgh it is unlike anything. walk the royal mile and try a scotch pie, there is a place in Edinburgh called Pie maker. Amazing and super cheap! Of course try haggis, it sounds scary but it is actually pretty good and what Scotland is known for. :) i could recommend all day haha everything there is beautiful!

Weve had a hell of a time trying to decide between Italy or France ect. i have hear so much good about italy!

I have to admit the weight loss feels super slow when you think about how little food and calories you're consuming. I know it's just unrealistic expectation and impatience. I mean we are given a range of weight loss, I just assumed I'd be at the top of that range! But the positive is this has been the easiest weight I've ever lost. I have no physical hunger, so It's just head hunger I have had to learn to turn off, mostly!

The clothes are actually the strangest thing. My pants are mostly all stretchy, with "skinny" jeans or leggings for casual wear, or even my work slacks have a lot of stretch in them, and work dresses and top all still fit. My stretchy work slacks are looking a little baggy, and I bought the next size down. They are a little uncomfortably form fitting at this point though, lol. I think it depends on where you are losing your weight from. Mine has come mostly from my thighs, which I wasn't expecting.

Thanks for the Scotland tips, that's exactly what I was looking for! Definitely going to take that train ride, sounds amazing! You may have convinced me to try haggis. I'm willing to try just about anything, but offal is not at all appealing!

Italy is amazing, but I'm sure you'll get there next year. I so wish that we had more generous vacation time in the US, like they do in Europe!

16 minutes ago, sillykitty said:

I have to admit the weight loss feels super slow when you think about how little food and calories you're consuming. I know it's just unrealistic expectation and impatience. I mean we are given a range of weight loss, I just assumed I'd be at the top of that range! But the positive is this has been the easiest weight I've ever lost. I have no physical hunger, so It's just head hunger I have had to learn to turn off, mostly!

The clothes are actually the strangest thing. My pants are mostly all stretchy, with "skinny" jeans or leggings for casual wear, or even my work slacks have a lot of stretch in them, and work dresses and top all still fit. My stretchy work slacks are looking a little baggy, and I bought the next size down. They are a little uncomfortably form fitting at this point though, lol. I think it depends on where you are losing your weight from. Mine has come mostly from my thighs, which I wasn't expecting.

Thanks for the Scotland tips, that's exactly what I was looking for! Definitely going to take that train ride, sounds amazing! You may have convinced me to try haggis. I'm willing to try just about anything, but offal is not at all appealing!

Italy is amazing, but I'm sure you'll get there next year. I so wish that we had more generous vacation time in the US, like they do in Europe!

Yeah i bet it can be frustrating at times but you seem like you are doing awesome! Head hunger is so real haha i know it will be a struggle for me as well!

I am excited to see how far you come by the time i get surgery!

Yeah we plan to make it there very soon! traveling is a passion for me! It is one of the few things that really make me feel alive! That train ride is amazing i would highly recommend it! When we went to Scotland we got an unlimited rail pass. Well worth the money if you plan on riding the trains alot!