Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So my doctor put me on a diet for surgery date. I have surgery April 19th. And the diet has 2 options, one with Meal Replacements 4 times a day and veggies in between. Option 2 with 2 meal replacements a day and one balanced meal of less than 300 calories and must contain 25g of Protein. He also said I have to loose 5-10 lbs 1-2 days prior to surgery. I have been on my diet now 3 days and I still see no difference on my scale. I’m so scared he’s going to postpone. But I’m literally not eating anything I am eating broth and meal replacements 2 times a day with lots of Water. Has this happened to anyone??

deep breath, relax you will make it and it will be alright.

you listed 5-10 pounds that means 5 pounds will do it. you will make that.

if you truly are not there towards the end then just fast for the last 24 hours and push yourself over the top.

try very hard to keep your stress level down you are almost there and its going to be great very soon.

except in cases of a very fatty liver pre surgery weight loss is not the all powerful decider of go or no go

good luck and grats on making it this far and i look forward to you dropping back in to tell everyone how it went and how you are doing after surgery.

Yes I am super excited everything went by very fast but I’m worried I will not make the 5 lb mark. I have 8 more days on liquid diet. I have my initial weight in the day before surgery. I chose not to eat anything because I am so worried. But have I mentioned that I am loving my Protein Shakes. Mixed with fresh fruits. I hope they taste this good after surgery lol

Drop the carbs (fruit) if you are having problems making the goal. Stick to your shakes and your high Protein meal with vegetables if that’s the option you chose.

If you stick to your diet, cut carbohydrates, and exercise, you will lose five pounds easily in 8 days even if it’s Water weight it will not matter.

The whole point of the diet is to shrink your liver through intense carb restriction.

You are sabotaging your hard work with the fruit. It's pure sugar.

Cut out all fruit until after surgery. Protein Drinks, veggies, very lean meat/protein...are the way to go.

Kim, above, is spot on.

9 hours ago, myTime2Shine* said:

Yes I am super excited everything went by very fast but I’m worried I will not make the 5 lb mark. I have 8 more days on liquid diet. I have my initial weight in the day before surgery. I chose not to eat anything because I am so worried. But have I mentioned that I am loving my Protein Shakes. Mixed with fresh fruits. I hope they taste this good after surgery lol

I think the other folks have a point about the fruit. My plan said I could add all kinds of fruits, Peanut Butter, oats, ect. I opted to only mix my Protein with Water, not even milk. I didn't want the carbs associated with the milk or anything else. I lost 27lbs in my pre op diet.

2 minutes ago, AshAsh1 said:

I think the other folks have a point about the fruit. My plan said I could add all kinds of fruits, Peanut Butter, oats, ect. I opted to only mix my Protein with Water, not even milk. I didn't want the carbs associated with the milk or anything else. I lost 27lbs in my pre op diet.

Day-um! 27 pounds pre-op is pretty phenomenal. I only lost 10. :-( Oh wellz, I am making up for it now. Minus two pounds overnight from the exercise alone.

1 minute ago, Mattymatt said:

Day-um! 27 pounds pre-op is pretty phenomenal. I only lost 10. :-( Oh wellz, I am making up for it now. Minus two pounds overnight from the exercise alone.

It was hard work! The pre op diet was single handedly the hardest part. && I got shingles in the hospital after surgery. But I really stuck to my guns about putting my body into ketosis and it worked.

You are doing great Matty! I'm afraid I've hit a stall. I've weighed in the last three days, no loss. I'll probably have a better idea tonight when I weigh. I'm hoping not because I set a goal of 80lbs at my 3 month post op. I'm soooooo close!

Just now, AshAsh1 said:

It was hard work! The pre op diet was single handedly the hardest part. && I got shingles in the hospital after surgery. But I really stuck to my guns about putting my body into ketosis and it worked.

You are doing great Matty! I'm afraid I've hit a stall. I've weighed in the last three days, no loss. I'll probably have a better idea tonight when I weigh. I'm hoping not because I set a goal of 80lbs at my 3 month post op. I'm soooooo close!

Don't sweat it if you don't make it because it is the long term result that ultimately matters. I would love 80 lbs at my 3 month post-op, but any kind of progress is perfectly okay. :-D

Ok got it! So cut the fruits?? Now the shakes I drink are the Premier Protein shakes. Please tell me these are good??? I’m gonna be super bummed out if they’re not because I am relying on these. Lol

3 minutes ago, myTime2Shine* said:

Ok got it! So cut the fruits?? Now the shakes I drink are the Premier Protein shakes. Please tell me these are good??? I’m gonna be super bummed out if they’re not because I am relying on these. Lol

Premiere Protein Shakes are fantastic! They have 30g of Protein and are low in carbs and sugar. My program swears by them and I agree. They taste really good too.

Perfect! Then I will skip the fruit and just drink them plain. I need at least 5lbs lost and they seem to be the hardest.

Drink your shakes and Lots of Water in between goal isn't so much the weight loss but the shrinking of your liver.

Good luck stay focused prep diet sucks.