Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys,

I’m really struggling to find a Protein Shake that doesn’t make me sick. I’m Australian and had opti-fast pre op which was fine but post op is a different story and gives me dumping.

I would love a flavoured Protein shake as I want to have it as a quick breakie. I’ve tried making my own with PB2 and it also made me sick but I think it was the banana and thickness.

My nutritionist said it’s artificial sweeteners.

It’s not lactose issue because milk and yogurt is fine. Does anyone have any high Protein Shakes they make that don’t contain protein powders?

It’s really hard to make a high Protein Shake without Protein powders. You could try unflavored and see if that’s still gives you issues or try a different form or grade of protein (if you are using whey switch to a whey isolate or soy/pea protein). You could also try a non milk based shake (isopure zero carb)

I became intolerant of whey Protein isolate. Anything containing whey made me extremely nausea, Protein Shakes, powder, bars etc. I tried different Protein Drinks, and found that the premade Muscle Milk Pro shakes don't bother me, and the chocolate tastes decent. The Muscle Milk and some other premade shakes, like Lean Shakes, EAS Advent Edge Carb Control & SlimFast, and I'm sure others use milk protein isolate as their main source of protein, and that seems to agree with me.

I also bought some Medifast Soups, bars & powders. Medifast mostly uses soy isolate. The Medifast items aren't as protein dense as the stuff using whey, but the ones I bought taste pretty good, so I'm happy with them. They are super expensive though. Once I'm through those I'm going to try some of the Bariatric Pal soups, and pastas, as they are mostly whey free, and less expensive.

I also tried some vegan shakes, powders and bars. I found them to be absolutely vile. If you're going to try those, don't buy a case from Amazon like I did!

Try different Protein powders. Whey, whey isolate, casien, egg, beef, soy.

I find it incredibly difficult to imagine they're all an issue (especially if you can have milk and yogurt which contains both whey and casien so....)

You could also try using things like Greek yogurt and cottage cheese as protein supplements. Trial and error is the best way

(Hi there, have just signed up finally, and will post a proper intro later)

I'm in Australia too (Adelaide). I've avoided "diet" foods and Meal Replacements until now because I'm sensitive to artificial sweeteners, soy, and MSG (in it's many hidden forms, yeast extract, hydrolysed Protein etc) which trigger nasty headaches and Migraines, and all diet foods contained one or more of these 10+ years ago.

I looked at Optifast ahead of my first surgeons appointment last week, and was disappointed to see it had aspartame and other artificial sweeteners, and MSG in their Soups.

At my first appointment with my surgeons bariatric physician I explained my intolerance of sweeteners and asked if there are any alternatives I can use in my pre-surgery liver-shrinking diet - she directed me to a fairly new Australian company called Formulite (I have placed an order online for both honeycomb and choc-hazelnut replacement shakes and will review them once I receive and sample them next week, the physician said she'd had the honeycomb one and it was very good). They have pre and pro biotics and are sweetened only with stevia. https://formulite.com.au/

Although it's only available for purchase online at this stage, this might be the best option for you if your intolerance is to the artificial sweeteners?

Cheers,
Taoz

Thanks guys I know it’s just trail and error so I’ll keep trying. Silly kitty hopeful I can buy some of those in Australia thanks for the suggestions :)

not sure what your Protein goal is for Breakfast, but if lactose is not an issue, you can add dry milk powder to milk to make a (i forget what they call it) an extra fortified glass of milk. It's just milk tho so not sure if that would satisfy.