Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting a new Journey

Your EGD should transfer over unless they found something interesting. If you had damage from,GERD, gastritis or an ulcer like I have they will probably repeat it. My ulcer is named Hector, I try my best to keep him [emoji42] sleeping, life is more peaceful that way. Hey welcome Syrina, if no one else has greeted I will.[emoji13]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Around here, the initial consultation is with a doctor in the weight management clinic. Then you have 3 classes, 1 per month while you work on losing 10% before you get to meet the surgeon. Then if they ok all of that, they do the psychology approval and finally schedule the surgery. All in all it's a 6-8 month process.

Sent from my LGMP260 using BariatricPal mobile app

I know crazy. Well that’s good. I called my insurance today they require you to do a 6mntb program through weight watchers [emoji30] to get a approved for the surgery. I’m already getting tired from all this information I have to do.

Well if weight Watchers worked I wouldn't be here, now would I? [emoji23]

From what I've seen and heard (a friend just had her surgery through the same system, but different location), this hospital uses a fairly strict low carb diet. They also have their own dieticians and counselors on staff so they keep most of it in house. It's the biggest health system in the state so they have a lot of resources.

Sent from my SM-N950U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 minute ago, MommaMausteller said:

Around here, the initial consultation is with a doctor in the weight management clinic. Then you have 3 classes, 1 per month while you work on losing 10% before you get to meet the surgeon. Then if they ok all of that, they do the psychology approval and finally schedule the surgery. All in all it's a 6-8 month process.

Yea this is a 2 12 week program is 6months. Have to meet every week at a weight watchers meeting and lose 5% and after 6 months you get approved through insurance but at the clinic so far I know they require a psych evaluation

4 minutes ago, Syrina said:

Well if weight Watchers worked I wouldn't be here, now would I?

From what I've seen and heard (a friend just had her surgery through the same system, but different location), this hospital uses a fairly strict low carb diet. They also have their own dieticians and counselors on staff so they keep most of it in house. It's the biggest health system in the state so they have a lot of resources.

😂😂😂 true. Really yeah I asked I said I have to do this first then do a program with the clinic said I can still start the process just have to do this weight watchers first.

The first time I tried, I met with the surgeon, he sent me to my pcp for monthly visits, and I scheduled a psych exam and a dietary eval before my follow up. Then I followed up with the surgeon and he scheduled my egd, and once pathology came back they sent everything to insurance. They literally approved it the day I called to cancel.

But as it turns out, my new job covers more types of surgery, and if I successfully complete my post-op I regimen, I can get 50% of my copay refunded, which means my total cost will be $2500 + my remaining deductible for pre-op testing. It would have cost me over $5000 at my old job. At least. I've been really mad about not getting the surgery when I had the chance but it may have worked out for the best. I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

And where is this Pearl of Bariatric surgery located? My hospital OSU-Wexner Medical Center has all that kind of junk on board too. Hope they didn't hear me call stuff junk, they carry sharp scalpels around there. Wish I could tell you a ESD estimated surgery date but I don't have one. My journey has been in neutral but should switch into gear after the the 25th and I'm hoping maybe May.?

4 minutes ago, Syrina said:

The first time I tried, I met with the surgeon, he sent me to my pcp for monthly visits, and I scheduled a psych exam and a dietary eval before my follow up. Then I followed up with the surgeon and he scheduled my egd, and once pathology came back they sent everything to insurance. They literally approved it the day I called to cancel.

But as it turns out, my new job covers more types of surgery, and if I successfully complete my post-op I regimen, I can get 50% of my copay refunded, which means my total cost will be $2500 + my remaining deductible for pre-op testing. It would have cost me over $5000 at my old job. At least. I've been really mad about not getting the surgery when I had the chance but it may have worked out for the best. I'm keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

Wow! That is crazy. Wowoowowow that is awesome you get refunded! It will work out! Sometimes we have to pass those chances just figure out what is best for us at that time. I know everything will go well for you.

I just realized I was talking to two different people this app is confusing 😂🤷🏾‍♀️ And I’m tired from all the information I got from this insurance. 😴

And where is this Pearl of Bariatric surgery located? My hospital OSU-Wexner Medical Center has all that kind of junk on board too. Hope they didn't hear me call stuff junk, they carry sharp scalpels around there. Wish I could tell you a ESD estimated surgery date but I don't have one. My journey has been in neutral but should switch into gear after the the 25th and I'm hoping maybe May.?

Mine is Ochsner in Louisiana. I work for them so I have to use their doctors. Thankfully I like my doctors lol. And of course they can subsidize their insurance, or however that works so that really helps.

I'm shooting for December or January. Have to have insurance for 12 months before they cover surgery. Knowing how long this takes, I figured I'd get started now.

I just realized I was talking to two different people this app is confusing [emoji23]🤷🏾‍♀️ And I’m tired from all the information I got from this insurance. [emoji42]

I know it really can be. I'm torn between the app and mobile site but really is about the same.

Insurance is a pain in the rear. I know what I'm looking at generally and it's still a pain!

Your EGD should transfer over unless they found something interesting. If you had damage from,GERD, gastritis or an ulcer like I have they will probably repeat it. My ulcer is named Hector, I try my best to keep him [emoji42] sleeping, life is more peaceful that way. Hey welcome Syrina, if no one else has greeted I will.[emoji13]

Oh hi!

They did find a couple of ulcers. They were from stress from my old job. They don't bother me much any more, go figure [emoji16]. And I have GERD but it's pretty under control. I'll have to see what the surgeon says. The ulcers only bother me now if I take a new medication or something - I get allll the nausea side effects of medication now. I restarted metformin and Lexapro at the same time I started taking adderall for the first time back in December, and let me tell you, it was a rough week! Metformin and Lexapro cause nausea and adderall causes loss of appetite. I thought I was going to die lol.

I am new as well! Have my #3 appt next week! My insruance requires 6 months of weigh ins/ classes.

I am new as well! Have my #3 appt next week! My insruance requires 6 months of weigh ins/ classes.

Hello!