Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I struck gold ...

So for those of you that don't know it, I am culinary-challenged. I am an awful cook and terrible at food preparation so I thought the pureed food stage was going to be murder until I found this from a company called Thick-It: http://thickit.com/products/purees/. Now certainly not all of the products will qualify as some have too much sugar/carbs. But for the most part, they look like they could work well. I know that this is kicking the problem a little further down the road, but for the time being, it may help for the pureed stage. So what are your thoughts?

To the person that modded my post as sad, thank you, thank you very much. It's not sad at all. In fact this could be very helpful.

That’s pretty cool! Thickit is something I use in the hospital a lot to thicken up patients liquids who have dysphasia or issues swallowing. Luckily with my Dr. I do a soft stage but not a puréed stage.

Just now, Ashley RN said:

That’s pretty cool! Thickit is something I use in the hospital a lot to thicken up patients liquids who have dysphasia or issues swallowing. Luckily with my Dr. I do a soft stage but not a puréed stage.

Glad someone is at least familiar with the product. How well does it work? Do patients generally like it?

Glad someone is at least familiar with the product. How well does it work? Do patients generally like it?

Yeah they like the thickit powder it has no taste and just mixes into the thin liquids. I didn’t know they had all those other foods available.

8 minutes ago, Ashley RN said:

Yeah they like the thickit powder it has no taste and just mixes into the thin liquids. I didn’t know they had all those other foods available.

I totally happened upon it by accident. I am considering it good luck!

Let us know how they taste!

1 minute ago, Kay07 said:

Let us know how they taste!

Roger Wilco!

As canned items they will be super high in sodium though. Are you able to look at the nutrition facts? Don’t forget on purée you can usually eat yogurt, very thin grits, and items puréed in a blender. I have a nutri ninja.

Consider buying a nutri ninja blender for prep. You can make smoothies like a champ.

I think a few of these will be ok, but after that they will taste like highly processed garbage. I would start now working on learning how to prepare healthy food choices and meals. That’s part of what a healthy lifestyle is about.

As canned items they will be super high in sodium though. Are you able to look at the nutrition facts? Don’t forget on purée you can usually eat yogurt, very thin grits, and items puréed in a blender. I have a nutri ninja.
Consider buying a nutri ninja blender for prep. You can make smoothies like a champ.
I think a few of these will be ok, but after that they will taste like highly processed garbage. I would start now working on learning how to prepare healthy food choices and meals. That’s part of what a healthy lifestyle is about.

You do make a good point.

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

So what Mattymatt if you can't boil Water, just nuke in the microwave. Your talents lie elsewhere than chef-dom, don't belittle yourself, I do too much of that myself, if I can reform you can too. We are a couple wonderful multi-faceted individuals[emoji13][emoji7]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I think it's good in theory hon. I got to "bypass" (get it) pureeds entirely!

I started with eggs. Any kind. I can teach you to make a soft boiled egg to make you scream in ecstasy. Also super easy to soft scramble eggs.

Then I progressed to canned chicken and pouched tuna and salmon. Mix with a little cottage cheese and yum!

Cottage cheese and applesauce--yum.

Cream Soup with added Protein Powder (unflavored can even buy in bulk isle of food store). Can use canned. Lentil soup, split pea, creamy mushroom, creamy poblano. YUM! Borracho Beans.

Buy Taco Bell beans and cheese.

Buy Wendy's chili

And badabing, you have enough diversity to get you through the dreaded pureed phase! :D

Also, you'll be doing the Protein Drinks still and sf Jello, sf popsicles, and even sf fudgecicles if you find some low fat, zero sugar.

No need to cook a lot. Really, just open things and heat and eat. :)

Of course, you COULD cook a lot if you wanted...but even though the sodium will be a little higher, the amount we are eating won't push the sodium super high.